Author Topic: Shackleton to the sky?  (Read 32339 times)

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Shackleton to the sky?
« on: December 16, 2012, 06:38:26 PM »
I went over to Coventry yesterday afternoon to watch the last anti-det run for the Shackleton.

During the briefing before the run the trustees announced that they intend to try and return the aircraft to flight  :D

I am sure that we will all wish them the best of luck with this project and hope to see WR 963 back in her natural environment soon.

I had a good look around and was lucky enough to have a long chat with a couple of the trustees, I was very impressed with what I heard and saw.

While it will undoubtedly be a huge challenge this is just as doable as creating a Mosquito from a data plate and a box of matches - or even getting a Vulcan flying after it was grounded for years.

There will be a huge fundraising campaign to support and I for one will be right behind them  :D

Good luck, The Shackleton Preservation Trust  :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Shackleton to the sky?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:30:52 PM »
At least they've got a complete aircraft to work with { and 3 of the engines running properly } , so it'll all hinge on what the CAA requirements are.
Most useful thread on another forum seems to be : http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=102256&page=31 ( takes you to the currently-last page )
Do seem to be a couple of things which could cause problems.......primarily , the main spar.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline djrose007

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
  • Me and my CTX1300
    • View Profile
    • RAF Luqa Remembered
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:49:40 PM »
This would be absolutely brilliant, I expect they already know but I've passed this on to the 203 Sqdn Yahoo group.

When I sent them photos of the Shackleton at Newark and asked if they were familiar with 'B for Bertie' one of them (Bryn Wayt) came back and said 'Familiar with it, I used to be her Captain' !
David J Rose Mem. No. 17334
http://raf-luqa.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://raf-masirah.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stonehouse-dtc.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (dog obedience training)

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
Quote from: "wcg"
At least they've got a complete aircraft to work with { and 3 of the engines running properly } , so it'll all hinge on what the CAA requirements are.
Most useful thread on another forum seems to be : http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=102256&page=31 ( takes you to the currently-last page )
Do seem to be a couple of things which could cause problems.......primarily , the main spar.

You have to bear in mind that it's a forum full of people who spend their time sat at a computer reading other fora. Or to put it in simpler terms they're mostly wannabes who know the some total of sweet F.A.  ;)
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 08:02:33 AM »
Ah , but given the fact that the comments about the main spar came from some of those who 'play' with WR963 { in the same way that you 'play' with a Bucc. } , you've got to think they know what they're talking about.
Unless , of course , you - who { as far as I know } aren't involved in any shape or form with WR963 - claim to know better than they do !!  :P

Offline jocelyn

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »
Best news I ve heard in a long time, and I have no doubt that the SPT will manage to get 963 flying again. They are dedicated, have a nice pool of ex Shackleton people involved, and most of all they are prepared to ask for help and advice when needed. Sounds good to me. All they need now is funding. Look out for their Shackleton nose this coming season, it will attend ALL airshows (!) no mean feat for such a small organisation, so please be generous !
One of the best moments of 558 s tour was at Coventry when she flew low over the Shackleton , 963 growling away at full chat , 558 wing wawing as she passed. Bliss !!!  :D

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »
Ah , but given the fact that the comments about the main spar came from some of those who 'play' with WR963 { in the same way that you 'play' with a Bucc. } , you've got to think they know what they're talking about.
Unless , of course , you - who { as far as I know } aren't involved in any shape or form with WR963 - claim to know better than they do !!  :P

As Rich pointed out on the Key pub forum, it's not as if the job has not been done before.

Yes it is daunting and most certainly not something that the volunteers who look after the aircraft at the moment would consider taking on themselves.

The return to flight will involve a lot of money, not as much as we spent on 558, but still a lot more than is most of our piggy banks.

All of the work is "doable", the spares are available and the end result would be worthwhile.

I am sure there will be plenty of people giving it "they will never do it, it's too much work and will cost too much money"  But we have heard the same thing over and over (probably from the same people) about the Vulcan and for five years 558 has been back.  I think 963 deserves another day in the sun, and the team that look after her and will be trying to restore her deserve our support.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:33:36 AM by Sad Sam »
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »

I never said I knew anything at all about 963 did I?
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 03:14:51 PM »
Quote from: "Sad Sam"

As Rich pointed out on the Key pub forum, it's not as if the job has not been done before.

Yes it is daunting and most certainly not something that the volunteers who look after the aircraft at the moment would consider taking on themselves.

The return to flight will involve a lot of money, not as much as we spent on 558, but still a lot more than is most of our piggy banks.

All of the work is "doable", the spares are available and the end result would be worthwhile.

I am sure there will be plenty of people giving it "they will never do it, it's too much work and will cost too much money"  But we have heard the same thing over and over (probably from the same people) about the Vulcan and for five years 558 has been back.  I think 963 deserves another day in the sun, and the team that look after her and will be trying to restore her deserve our support.

Your next challenge?

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »
For those of you who haven't looked at the link I provided , Rich's latest post on the Key forum :
There's a ton of preliminary work to do which is why of late we've been working through the spares and sorting out where the archive is going to go. We've got the whole of the Shackleton's original Avro drawings to wade through as some of the ones we need are aircraft specific and the boxes that contain them haven't been opened since they left Woodford in 1993. Similarly with the spares - there's a small mountain of packing crates and the only easily recognisible items are mainwheels and Griffon engines. We've also got to go through the aircraft and audit her to find out how much life components have left and whether we can replace or rebuild them.

You should see the aircraft appearing on the civil register soon, and the big efforts start in the new year with a new website on its way. We're going to be pestering people at shows (sorry!), as there is going to be quite a bit of fund raising required for a respar... which will be the first one done on an Lancaster derived wing since 1994 and the first one on a Shackleton since around 1981. If we could get it approved - and there is a slim chance - flying using the current wing would be less effort initially but it would increase maintenance and cut the flying life drastically. A new spar should see WR963's wing good for another 40 years... which is what we would like to see.

The feasibility study indicates the minimum time to see the work completed to return our Shackleton to flight is 5 years. We're all looking forward to seeing how accurate a number that is.

Offline Topsy

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 07:13:16 PM »
You can't beat the sound of those Griffon's. Would be lovely to see and hear a Shackleton flying again.

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 07:41:11 PM »
I've not seen a 'flying' one since when I was posted to St Mawgan in the 70's. They flew Shacks and Nimrods before Nimrod totally took over the maritime role. Coastal Command as it was in dem days  ;)

The first airfix model I built was the Shackleton (useless bit of info). Would love to see one grace the skies again  :D
Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline djrose007

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
  • Me and my CTX1300
    • View Profile
    • RAF Luqa Remembered
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 10:06:59 PM »
I have to admit I have a great affection for the Shackleton (apart from drunken nights singing about how they don't bother me).
When I was stationed at Masirah in 1968-69 there were a couple on detachment. When they came to the commcen to hand in their 'Cofidential Green' for the day I asked what the chances of a jolly were.
That led to me taking off at 0500 the next day and returning 13 hours later! We left Masirah and went half way to Gan and then did a square pattern and then returned. It was a long flight but an experience I will never forget.
That's me on the left with no top on.
David J Rose Mem. No. 17334
http://raf-luqa.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://raf-masirah.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stonehouse-dtc.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (dog obedience training)

Offline TimS

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 11:16:53 PM »
The best of luck to them. Had a good chat with Rich earlier this year when I visited them, & was fortunate to be onboard during the day's engine run. I have a soft spot for 963 since my dad had a few sorties as nav in 1960, including the 5-day jaunt from Ballykelly to Singapore - I've a scan of his log page on 963's FB page.
Tim.

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »
Certainly on a long head-on approach, the sound of the Griffons is somewhat eerie!
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!