Author Topic: Coventry Question 2 ...  (Read 15190 times)

Offline Ravin&Droolin

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topmarksit.co.uk
Coventry Question 2 ...
« on: September 27, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
...Very curious ?

Watching the engine start up procedure at Coventry I couldn't help but notice some kind of 'pressure release' venting appearing in vertical jets from under 558's engines. Looked prety high pressure & with quite a dirty mist. I'm sure i saw this several times during the engine idle & routine checks of the controls etc. Could one of the engineers put me out of my misery & explain what these venting occurances are all about? I take it it's not wise to stand directly below these?

Of course I may have been seeing things, if so i'll put that down to my age  :(

PS - good to speak to some of the crew, thanks Sam for the 'Scar' display!! No need to post those picture now  :!:
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Us and Them: The most concise summation of the Human Condition...

Offline mackrick

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Vulcan To The Sky
Re: Coventry Question 2 ...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:57:15 PM »
Quote from: "Ravin&Droolin"
...Very curious ?

Watching the engine start up procedure at Coventry I couldn't help but notice some kind of 'pressure release' venting appearing in vertical jets from under 558's engines. Looked prety high pressure & with quite a dirty mist. I'm sure i saw this several times during the engine idle & routine checks of the controls etc. Could one of the engineers put me out of my misery & explain what these venting occurances are all about? I take it it's not wise to stand directly below these?

Of course I may have been seeing things, if so i'll put that down to my age  :(

PS - good to speak to some of the crew, thanks Sam for the 'Scar' display!! No need to post those picture now  :!:

Hot air from the starters .... you don't want to be standing under them....
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede

Offline Ravin&Droolin

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 04:18:35 PM »
Thanks Rick,

Definately looked like a spot to avoid from where I was standing  :o

Offline smiler

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:59:49 AM »
What you are discribing is the exhaust from the AAPP.  It was running not long after the crew got on board to supply the electrical power, as we had no powerset that worked.

:D

Offline Ravin&Droolin

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:07:57 AM »
Thanks Smiler,

So where exactly is the AAPP located? I overheard someone in the crowd saying it was a 'petrol engine'!! That's not right is it?  :shock: can't imagine that working too well at 65,000'

Really appreciate the quick chat we had on Sunday, it was so manic & you people were extremely busy.

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:27:06 AM »
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline Ravin&Droolin

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:45:39 AM »
Thanks for the link Speedy, very interesting. As smiled explained it was running so that must have been what the venting was.

Now another stupid question, how do you start the AAPP :?:

Apologies if this has all been covered before but I find the whole start up procedure absolutely fascinating.

Offline bovril

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://xm655.com
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 05:47:46 PM »
Thanks for the link Speedy, very interesting. As smiled explained it was running so that must have been what the venting was.

Now another stupid question, how do you start the AAPP :?:

Apologies if this has all been covered before but I find the whole start up procedure absolutely fascinating.

the AAPP has is started of the aircrafts 28v battery,  if you are near it when starting you can hear its motor turninging it over and the igniters clicking away (same as if lighting you are lighting your gas hob or oven).
XM655 - the most powerful vulcan in the world
[Alive and Kicking]

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »
It could also be started with an explosive charge  as could Hunters and Chipmunks,I know this because I have an Rover AAPU Starter Cartridge Breach sat looking at me on my desk as I type (I small memento of my happy years at St Athan).So in fact you could start the Rover by two different methods,no idea as to when each method was used though,over to one of the Engineers.

Mike

8-)
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Ravin&Droolin

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »
OK this is great information, thanks to all who've replied. So am I right in thinking the AAPP provides electrical power the aircraft's controls? Does it also provide compressed air to start the main engines? Is it the case that the main engines can start each other by bleeding compressed air from one another? 

Or am I completely confused?  :roll:

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 09:10:40 PM »
OK this is great information, thanks to all who've replied. So am I right in thinking the AAPP provides electrical power the aircraft's controls? Does it also provide compressed air to start the main engines? Is it the case that the main engines can start each other by bleeding compressed air from one another? 

Or am I completely confused?  :roll:

1] the Rover supplies only electrical power..... it was originally invisaged that it would supply starter air also but it wasn't man enough so the facillity was deleted at a very early stage of service..
2] Main engines are started using a STAD or Palouste with is usually a 4wheel trolley with a small jet or gas turbine engine which produces compressed air at, I believe, 35 PSI, which is fed via a large diameter pipe attached to a connection near the Port undercarriage bay I think it is, into the starter turbine   located on the side of the engine which is geared on to 2nd? stage of compressors which spins the engine up to light-up and self sustained condition, then you move to the next engine in sequence.. :D
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline bovril

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://xm655.com
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 10:07:09 PM »
pipe connects starboard side,  by the aapp :)
XM655 - the most powerful vulcan in the world
[Alive and Kicking]

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »
I think I can recall instances of the Rover being used to start an engine whilst I was at St Athan and then as Denis says crossfeed being used to start the other engines ,I was at "Saints" in 1970 so I am unsure when the facility was removed from the Rover AAPU,we did test both start methods during the Major servicing (of the Rover) but the normal method was the elecrical start.

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 12:15:41 AM »
Quote from: "StAthan lecky"
I think I can recall instances of the Rover being used to start an engine whilst I was at St Athan and then as Denis says crossfeed being used to start the other engines ,I was at "Saints" in 1970 so I am unsure when the facility was removed from the Rover AAPU,we did test both start methods during the Major servicing (of the Rover) but the normal method was the elecrical start.

Mike

Mike.......

Engine cross feed air was not needed, as stad/palouste is connected to a piped air system which is connected to all engines controlled by electrically controlled air valves one per engine, selected by the co-pilot, switches mounted on the starboard side console.

Are you saying that you started the main engines electrically?

if so then you were working on BMK1s and they didn't have a Rover only fitted to  BMK2s?.[ ready to be shot down on this point] ..which were air started..

Bovrill...

Thanks for correction couldn't quite picture where it connected... haven't touched a Vulcan for 2-3yrs

Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline Ian Mulford

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 09:51:44 AM »
Quote from: "bovril"
the AAPP has is started of the aircrafts 28v battery,  if you are near it when starting you can hear its motor turninging it over and the igniters clicking away (same as if lighting you are lighting your gas hob or oven).

I was going to post something no-technical of it sounds like weeeeeeeeeeeee-click-click-click-woooooooooooshhhhhhh

But I thought better of it   :lol: