Author Topic: RHYL AIRSHOW 2013  (Read 8723 times)

Offline SABREWOLF

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
RHYL AIRSHOW 2013
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
Very much looking forward to seeing the Vulcan in Rhyl his afternoon.  This will be the first time I have seen one in flight since 1979.  As I was 7 years old at the time and the bungalow we lived in at Moelfre in the heart of the countryside near Abergele (or in this case 10 miles from Rhyl) was directly on/under the main RAF flight path used by Vulcan's operationally at that period of time.

Vulcan's were a regular feature and flew at very low altitude right over the top of our bungalow. (The Bungalow was opposite a farm with fields all around it, so you can imagine the spectacle as the plane flew over, very much like your own private airshow and the whole building would literally shake as it flew overhead) Its was an awesome sight and sound. Then you would just watch the plumes of black smoke coming out of those fabulous 4 engines as she started gaining altitude and heading out over the Irish Sea.

Vulcan's flew over on weekly basis and it was the first plane I remember.  It has kind of been a hard act to follow since then. 8)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:10:54 AM by SABREWOLF »

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: RHYL AIRSHOW 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 06:27:32 PM »
Hope you got to see her today?
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline SABREWOLF

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
To all at Vulcan to the sky. The display at Rhyl today was sublime. The sight and sounds of XH558 took me back to being 7 all over again. My best mate was also with me who has never seen a Vulcan fly and was amazed. My Mum also came along as she wanted to experience the Vulcan again since the last time over 30 yrs ago. As for me speechless. An amazing sight and many sounds. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

The god of thunder doesn't live in a storm, he lives in Avro Vulcan XH558

Offline Dave K

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »

Nice to see her at Rhyl, an airshow I've not done before.

It's a smaller show and although the weather was superb on Saturday with a fantastic sky for a background, there were several cancellations caused by the windy conditions. Not complaining though, after all that's the way it goes at air shows and it wasn't bad for a freeby.

I thought the viewing was excellent. Most people stayed on the raised seafront but there was a large area of beach available closer to the display line with an unobstructed view.  Great place to watch 558s display.     

Cheers Dave
Cheers Dave

Offline Paddy Langdown

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 03:30:45 PM »

I would like to tell you a little true story. While all you folk were at Rhyl, I was at Shoreham. One of my fellow Volunteers handed me a page torn from the Cambrian News from August 22nd featuring a retired Flight Lieutenant Vulcan Pilot who was to be a Guest of Honour at the forthcoming Rhyl show & said " Do you know this chap?". I looked, and was amazed - it was a whole page article on a chap called Bill Downs who just happened to have been my first Captain when I was a lowly co-pilot. It listed his career & said where he had settled after leaving the RAF. I got home & searched the local phone directory & found his number. This morning I rang him & renewed a friendship I had long thought finished. We had not spoken for some 40 years. So "thank you" to the good fairy who arranged the show & all the others who were involved from all the avenues that helped in contact.   :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline fil cad

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 08:14:14 PM »
Lovley story paddy ((-;

Offline isibob

• Volunteer Group
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:43:15 PM »
We were very honoured that Bill Downs came into the Vulcan Village to say hello and offer us encouragement for what was a very busy day by the seaside.

Had I realised the connection Paddy I would have " shopped " you !

Offline Landyman

• Volunteer Group
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.pettaugh-history.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
Two lovely and heart warming stories in one thread.
Another example of that extraordinary thing we call 'The Vulcan Effect'.

Landyman.
I used to be retired then I found a Vulcan.
My travel blog - http://motorhomemoments.wordpress.com (Now with added Vulcan for even better value)

Offline CLIFFORD

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
my brother sent the page to me and I gave it to paddy, small world

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »
To all at Vulcan to the sky. The display at Rhyl today was sublime. The sight and sounds of XH558 took me back to being 7 all over again. My best mate was also with me who has never seen a Vulcan fly and was amazed. My Mum also came along as she wanted to experience the Vulcan again since the last time over 30 yrs ago. As for me speechless. An amazing sight and many sounds. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

The god of thunder doesn't live in a storm, he lives in Avro Vulcan XH558
What a lovley story and i love your quote about the God of Thunder,,Sublime ;D ;D
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory