Author Topic: Fuel leaks  (Read 18055 times)

Offline arnk

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
Fuel leaks
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:25:05 PM »
With the news that a new fuel tank is needed

http://t.co/GTmLNGp4GA

and that no repair to patch up the paddling pool is possible.  What is the status of the other tanks?  I assume if one is gone all the others must be in a similar state?
Would a tank stripped from an indoor museum aircraft would be deemed unacceptable?  Could the Portsmouth crew test one quicker than making one.

Al

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel leaks
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »
Was wondering the same about the other tanks.

It says there is no other airworthy spare available, so we have to assume that this includes tanks from other aircraft.  Possibly they would not be allowed to use them, and I'd expect them to be in an even worse state.  Even if they could use them, it wouldn't happen fast enough for this weekend's flights anyway.
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:36:10 PM »
 :( :( :( :( :( :(

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »
What's the cost of the new tank ? and as has been already been asked,should we be worried about the other thirteen ?

:( :( :( :(

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:07:02 PM »
Time for a group hug i think and then we will get on with getting 558 to next years flying.

Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline DamienB

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.handmadebymachine.com
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:10:55 PM »
Presumably the other tanks will be inspected as they're likely to be in similar condition?

This news makes 2013 the first year that I have not seen a full Vulcan display since she returned to flight... bugger

Offline Bryank

• Volunteer Group
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »
It looks like we've all been thinking the same thing.

Very prudent to check the other tanks...

I vaguely remember that after the last leak (Bournemouth/Shoreham again !!) a couple of years ago that it was said some tanks had been totally replaced during renovation, and some refurbished, so not all tanks will be in the same condition/age? (Hopefully someone will be along to confirm that?)

Cheers,

Bryan

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 06:16:16 PM »
Ok so now we know whats wrong. Time to try to get some money together to get her flying next year :D
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »
Pretty sure you are correct Bryan. Hopefully Sam will confirm how many tanks this applies to and what happens with it/them.

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
Yes I agree with the above messages lets get confirmation of the other tanks state to squash rumours, but more importantly let us get Operation 2013 funded and get her back in the air for 2 more years.

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »
Time for a group hug i think and then we will get on with getting 558 to next years flying.

Well said Jane - seconded!!

Offline Dave K

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
Well I'm kinda glad I stopped dithering and went to Rhyl now...

Looks like some of the tanks are showing their age a bit, and I guess it's something that might happen again.

Maybe some Fuel Tank Replacement shares perhaps, to stop our fuel shares leaking away....

Cheers Dave

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:18:33 PM by Dave K »
Cheers Dave

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »
How many tanks were replaced - sorry I don't know (Taff, Andrew or Colin could answer that one)

All of the tanks were tested during the major (the same as happened during majors at St Athan)  any which were deemed serviceable were refitted (once more the same as the RAF)

The bags like to remain "wet" so any that have been sat around empty in a museum for 30 years will probably be no good.  The same would also probably go for the "live" aircraft as the tanks on those are not normally kept full (35 tons of Avtur would be a lot of pennies)

The remaining tanks are being tested now as the fuel which was in No.5 tank has now been spread around the rest of the jet so the other tanks are pretty full.
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline arnk

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »
Thanks Sam
So pulling off the covers and having a good look and poke around at the tanks doesnt tell you if they are bad.  You either have to wait till they leak or strip them right out and test them? 
If we have to replace more than one tank, now would be the time to get a bulk order into Portsmouth.
Please can we have some rubber dinghy patch shares put on sale to pay for this?  The sun is still shining and its time we bought a XH558 new paddling pool.
Al

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »
If the tanks are equal, i.e. the same number in each wing, would it be feasible to reduce the number of tanks in total to maintain balance? perhaps then negating a need to replace. (I know to some that may be a stupid question)
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!