Author Topic: Fuel leaks  (Read 17785 times)

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel leaks
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
Just an idea...

Maybe the unserviceable tank could be returned to Doncaster - be cut up and sold to raise funds for new tank and 2015 appeal ?

Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline deeleyt

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »
Good idea - but - dont think the postie would be very happy pushing pottentialy combustible packages through peoples letter boxes. Might make good fire starters though.

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 07:33:06 AM »
Clarification please!

Taken from the latest press release...

Given that more than one leak and other signs of deterioration were found, and that the tank is itself over 30 years old, we have concluded that, if repaired, the tank would remain vulnerable to further leaks.

What is actually leaking the tank or tank bag?

Offline eagle770

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 10:19:32 AM »
The bag is the tank. The rubberised bag has all of the tank fittings and is located in a compartment in the wing for which it is shaped. The compartment provides support, containment and protection for the bag.
Consulting : If you are not part of the solution, there's good money to be made prolonging the problem!

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 11:30:34 AM »
Thank you,  that clears up a conversation I had this this morning :)

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
One for the engineers please! Does the tank need to be made of the original type of material or can a modern equivalent be used? 

Offline deeleyt

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
Made by GKN - Hycatrol H.P. 257 - Still used for all sorts of fuel tanks and flotation equipment - infact the fuel bladders we have just installed in Newark on a emergency generator site are made of this, although a little more shielded than that in a Vulcan.

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 08:24:27 PM »
Thank you!  ;D

Offline Flipflopman

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »
Just to pop out of the shadows and add a little to the posts already here by Bryank and Sam...

As far as I remember, only the No1 tanks Port and Stb'd which live above the nose wheel bay were new build. They were manufactured by FRP in Bournemouth from a modern equivalent grade of Hycatrol and differed slightly in look and texture from the existing tanks. All other tanks were existing tanks, either from storage or the tanks 558 flew in with. Having fitted and built all 14 of 558's tanks during the initial rebuild, one thing that stood out was the difference between the individual tanks suppleness, with the tanks from storage being much more pliable than those that had been previously fitted. Not that this is any way a bad thing, it just displays the effect of age and use over time. As with all things aviation, not a show stopper, just another expense!!  ;)

Flipflopman

Offline arnk

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 09:09:41 PM »
Thanks Ron, good to hear from you.  So with 1 new, 2 previously new, we still have 11 tanks that could fail at any moment as just waiting for them to leak doesn't seem a satisfactory way of testing them.  We need Kev to go up and turn them upside down for a bit!  I wonder how much it would cost to replace the other 11?

I read that XL426 is having a new tank made as well.

Al

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 09:13:52 PM »
I asked the question about the cost of replacing the current leaking tank but never had a reply either on the forum or in the newsletter.

???

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 11:23:21 PM »
I'm sure we will know in the fullness of time.
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »
Uh-huh.....

According to logistics No. 5 Stbd was the only original (removed from 558 @ Brunty) tank.  As Ron Said all the others came from the "War Stock" or were new build.

Believe me the remaining tanks are all being thoroughly tested as we speak - and there is no chance of them "drying out"

Guess Tallbloke will be able to comment on how supple the new material is some time in the next six months  ;)
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline Flipflopman

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 10:54:47 PM »
Sam, he has my utmost sympathies!!   :))  The new ones were very black inside and very stiff! Not a pleasant place to be at all!!

Arnk,

Unfortunately, waiting for parts to fail is pretty much how the aircraft industry works!!  :))  The tanks were all tested before fitment for integrity and condition, and those fitted were all deemed fit for purpose. Now, over time and for whatever reason, tanks can split, leak, get punctured, dry out and so need replacing. That in itself is the reason we had a stock of 'new' tanks to fit during the rebuild. These stored tanks were kept as 'one of each tank' for the Vulcan Display Flight, in order that should 558 get a leak, the tank could be replaced. As you can probably imagine from this, fuel bladders are not items that fail often, and are designed to last. To minimise the risk of age issues, during the restoration of 558, everything that we held a stock of, and could be replaced WAS replaced as a matter of course. An example of this was the fact that every single oxygen pipe in the system was removed, tested, cleaned and replaced with 'New Old Stock' as a matter of course.

Sadly, you can't account for unplanned failures and this is why aircraft cost so much to operate! There is no real way of testing for imminent failure of any component, and even attempt to do so would cost much more than replacement once the cost of removal, testing and rebuild is factored into the equation. Even modern aircraft suffer from fuel tank leaks, and I myself have had to replace many unserviceable tanks on Tornado and Jaguar aircraft, and repair leaking integral tanks on Harriers. I think 558 has done herself proud considering!  ;)

Hope that's helped a little, sorry if I've waffled on!!

Offline arnk

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 09:27:11 PM »
Ron & Sam
Thanks for your helpful explanations.  Its good to hear that there is nothing else that would be done if we had more funds.
Al