Author Topic: What would you donate to?  (Read 8071 times)

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
What would you donate to?
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:48:55 AM »
We all have a love for our aircraft, we see it has potential to inspire and entertain and educate........ we each give in our own way to the upkeep and future of it.

If we are again able to bring her through and into the flying season she will be seen by hundreds of thousands, easy decision for us.

Submarines are not my thing, and though the courage of their crews is amazing, not the sort of thing that I would donate loads to, apart from if I visited.

Lots of people think donating to the restoration of a submarine is worth it; the National Lottery Heritage Scheme think it's worth donating more to it than our Vulcan, and how many people will see it? maybe tens of thousands.

The project http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-22263355 has now managed to restore the outside of the vessel, next the interior, and they are still talking of more money than we need to see us through....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23207825 no contest.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: What would you donate to?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:26:25 AM »
Its another very important restoration project that will, like our, take inordinate amounts of time, money ,volunteers and so on to restore something that is of great importance to many people. We know what it feels like.

We had £2.7m from the heritage Lottery Fund to get 558 off the ground, something they had never done before. They still keep in touch with the Trust but don't fund the sort of thing we need funded. We need to keep money coming in for the day-to-day running costs of our restored project.

The only thing I always get upset by is the lack of media interest in 558. Even if they filmed the blocked roads and people complaining about them when she flies through then it would be something but there is so little nationwide coverage, just a little bit locally now and then.

As with all restoration projects, its important to someone and I wish them luck and the joy we have from ours  :D
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »
Certainly in this part of the country 558 gets as much coverage as the Reds or BBMF but in general the media aren't interested in aviation - the poor coverage of The Queen's Birthday Flypast every June shows that. They have 2 hours of various military parades but can't even give a full 2 minute coverage for the RAF to pay their respects in the air.

As far the HLF goes if you remember it was Felicity Irwin who stamped her feet when they first said they wouldn't give any funding to 558 yet had paid an enormous amount to restore a German tank.

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »
I'm pleased we got the amount we did but then you read how much goes to things like the Cutty Sark (£42+ wasn't it?) and other things that get such huge amounts.

What is it this country (the powers that be etc) doesn't like about aviation????

We have designed and built the most amazing aircraft the world has ever seen and have been pioneers in the field since day one and hundreds of thousands visit air shows each year. We have more aircraft 'spotters' and enthusiasts than any other country and yet it is of such low importance.

Very odd!!  Surely it is something that we should stand up and be very proud of!
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:14:22 AM »
I suppose we have always been a risk and a time limited project. There are already static airframes on display in musuems up and down the country. Restoration of the Cutty Sark and other projects such as the submarine create permanent new statics which should be around for many, many years and attract the same amount of visitors as museums such as Cosford and Hendon (if not more with the location of the Cutty Sark).

At least we set a benchmark and succeeded where many restoration projects fail despite their funding from HLF.

I think we have also raised awareness of the country's love of aviation and there seem to be more articles nowadays when events are happening such as today's VC10 farewell tour. The Jet Age museum have been on the local news and BBC website everytime they have reached a milestone this year. We certainly dominated Bournemouth's local press and tv for a week this year! That can only be a good thing for aviation. 

Another side of the issue is the withdrawal of support from companies as discussed in thread about harriers which means it is now very hard to keep Heritage aircraft flying in this country. (Just had to run outside to see 2 VC10s flying down middle of road in perfect blue sky  :)  :'( - very appropriate ).

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
Where is their final destination???
Ex Club Co-Chair

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »
Back to BZN today. I was hoping Gregg might know as BBC say they are to be dismantled although I had heard that new conversations were going on with Cosford.

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 12:31:59 AM »
Bruntingthorpe's last one this wednesday
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 09:01:01 AM »
And one to Dunsfold today much to Eddies Joy! ;D

Apparently to be kept for people to visit.
Ex Club Co-Chair

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 09:20:14 AM »
Great, that'll be something else to visit at next years Dunsfold Wings And Wheels.  ;D