Author Topic: 558 photos competition - committee approval please  (Read 14237 times)

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
558 photos competition - committee approval please
« on: September 28, 2010, 10:41:06 PM »
I posted this in another topic and wondered if a committee member (or members) can approve it please so we can get some cash rolling in

Re: The sponsored something.....
by sickbag_andy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:24 pm

sickbag_andy wrote:
okay here's an idea the unofficial 558 photo of the year show. Have a topic where you post a photo of 558 and e-donate £5.58 for the priviledge continuing until 558 have been posted, total over £3k. Then (and i'm not sure how) draw up a shortlist of say 10 and then poll the viewers favourite to decide the winner
comments please?

okay , if this is a possibility ( and the mishaps as well) how do we get down to the shortlist - any not too time consuming ideas, maybe split into categories such as flying, engineering, even the show stands - just bouncing ideas about at this stage but anything has to be worth a try at the moment
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: 558 photos competition - committee approval please
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:51:22 AM »
This will be one for trust as e-donate is directly linked to them. Drop Ian a quick note.

Club can certainly find a prize for the winner (s). I still have a couple of air to air print of photo taken by Les Wilson (Daily Mail) plus Dickon has some prints.

It would be great to get something done with winners prints as well. Certainly a presentation print signed by aircrew, groundcrew etc. That should be possible.

Hope that helps

Sarah

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:20:33 AM »
Quote from: "Sarah Abbott"
Club can certainly find a prize for the winner (s). I still have a couple of air to air print of photo taken by Les Wilson (Daily Mail) plus Dickon has some prints.
How about a simple alternative.........publish the winning photo(s) in the Club Magazine !!  :o  :mrgreen:
Could easily be accompanied by a short article about the competition.
{ After all - a small gripe of mine - it may be referred to as the "Club Magazine" , but there never seem to be many Club-related features in it !  :(   }
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:24:05 AM »
This will be one for trust as e-donate is directly linked to them. Drop Ian a quick note.

It would be great to get something done with winners prints as well. Certainly a presentation print signed by aircrew, groundcrew etc. That should be possible.

Hope that helps

Sarah

i've PMd Ian but appreciate he is probably (or definitely) very busy at present.

A shame we cant do it as a 'club' competition although if it's on the forum it would be effectively that anyway I suppose. Noted re the e-donate, as a precaution it would be nice if the money could be ring fenced 'just in case'
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 09:27:50 AM »
Quote from: "wcg"
How about a simple alternative.........publish the winning photo(s) in the Club Magazine !!  :o  :mrgreen:
Could easily be accompanied by a short article about the competition.
{ After all - a small gripe of mine - it may be referred to as the "Club Magazine" , but there never seem to be many Club-related features in it !  :(   }

I like that Idea Clive - it would be nice to see a selection of members photos in the magazine instead of the usual pro/semi-pro ones, it would also encourage more contributions if we could make it an annual thing - thinking very far ahead there!

p.s. I'm not complaining about the monopoly of pro pics but as it's a club magazine, a selection of members contributions would seem appropriate so hope my comment hasnt offended anyone before they read this last bit
confacimus volatemum

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:32:09 AM »
Shall we just give the prize to Damien now, or do we ban him from entering? :lol:
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:33:13 AM »
Quote from: "wcg"

Well, it's the magazine that gets sent out to club members....  ;)
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:39:38 AM »
Quote from: "speedy"
Shall we just give the prize to Damien now, or do we ban him from entering? :lol:
Nope......bring in a "pro / semi-pro" category for those who regularly get their photos published ------ and charge them more to enter !!  :twisted:   ;)
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
I've just been talking to Ian (PA28) and we are going to go ahead with this idea- more details to follow as soon as I do the details. I hope to get the format finalised this evening and we have broadly come up with a way of running the payment side.

We discussed categories and decided 5 was about right and came up with the following, all photos to be from a 2010 airshow in the UK :

XH558
non XH558
Vulcan Village
Ground crew/Engineering
Bloomers/humourous (must be aviation related)

any other ideas for categories please?

I will also need to find some judges from regular forumeers- you may get a PM or an e-mail - look out!

Watch this space (or elsewhere on the forum in fact) all will be revealed soon.
confacimus volatemum

Offline Sarah Favell

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »
PM sent Andy  :)

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »
Quote from: "Sarah Favell"
PM sent Andy  :)
not received it sorry (and not got an e-mail reminder either)
confacimus volatemum

Offline Sarah Favell

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:30:04 PM »
Sent again  :)

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Quote from: "Sarah Favell"
Sent again  :)

got it and have sent you two!
confacimus volatemum

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »
Quote from: "sickbag_andy"
I've just been talking to Ian (PA28) and we are going to go ahead with this idea- more details to follow as soon as I do the details. I hope to get the format finalised this evening and we have broadly come up with a way of running the payment side.

We discussed categories and decided 5 was about right and came up with the following, all photos to be from a 2010 airshow in the UK :

XH558
non XH558
Vulcan Village
Ground crew/Engineering
Bloomers/humourous (must be aviation related)

any other ideas for categories please?

I will also need to find some judges from regular forumeers- you may get a PM or an e-mail - look out!

Watch this space (or elsewhere on the forum in fact) all will be revealed soon.

Is it a case of one donation per entrant, or one donation per category, per pic, etc?

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 03:03:06 PM »
it will be 1 donation per photo, the plan is you will buy an entry number (token number) from the online-shop and that number will be posted with the photo as evidence of payment, I've got to work out the details and then it may possibly become clearer!
confacimus volatemum