Author Topic: Engine Life  (Read 12251 times)

Offline nick_s

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Engine Life
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »
Thanks for all your sterling work keeping her flying.
Apologies if this is a daft question but does the engine life depend on the power that the engines are running at?
Cheers,
Nick

Offline scampton61

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.underthefloor.co.uk
Re: Engine Life
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »
Not a daft question Nick, and the answer is yes (kind of). If I remember right, Rolls-Royce have allowed a certain number of 'cycles' as a measure of engine life, (a cycle being, I think, from idle to full throttle and back). In practice that gives each engine a life of around 200 hours, a lot less than was the case when in service, but Rolls are understandably risk-averse.

Offline nick_s

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »
Thanks Scampton- that's interesting.

I'd have thought that running them at full power would shorten their life more than idling them, but if I understand you correctly its the number of times they're run up-and-down that's the limiting factor?

Cheers
Nick

Offline scampton61

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.underthefloor.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »
Hi Nick, I suspect things might be different if the engines had been granted a longer life, but presume this was deemed the best measure of wear and tear. If you ever go on a tour of 558 at Doncaster or catch her on the ground at a show, see if you can buttonhole Ray (engine techie), he could give you a much clearer picture.

Offline nick_s

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »
Ta-will try and get on a hanger tour this year and bore Ray to death!

My reason for asking is that with The Sad End approaching in 2015 I'm wondering how much lee-way the pilots will have to really give the engines (if not the air-frame) some beans at her final shows. May as well go out in style  >:D

Thanks again
Nick