Author Topic: Funding  (Read 84384 times)

Offline clemmence

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Funding
« on: October 02, 2010, 12:35:19 PM »
Here we are again needing emergency cash in a hurry. I know we have longer term finanacial plans but I wonder whether we have the expertise to organise and run our own airshow? Airshows must raise huge amounts of cash - probably enough for our needs.

We would require a friendly airfield where we could run it but if successful it could become an annual event on the airshows calendar and solve our problems for the future.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline eddief

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: Funding
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »
Please check out this news article (one of two released on Friday):-http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/126/82/2012-and-beyond.html

As you'll see, the idea is certainly being very seriously considered.  But nobody can make any promises - we've learned the hard way in respect of that  :oops:

If airshows make money for other organisations (with Vulcan as the star attraction) then it seems reasonable that a Vulcan-based airshow could make all that lovely money for our own cause?
985 posts on last forum - so I get the \'hallowed 1000\' for just 15 on this one (yippee!)

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »
I'm surprised that there's been no official mention by us to the general public that as well as being the 50th Birthday of 558, 2010 is also the Centenary of the formation of A.V. Roe and Company.

If we COULD get our own Airshow organised, perhaps we could celebrate this by having a display of the "Avro Four" together.

If the display was close enough to the Shuttleworth collection, we might even pursuade them to fly in their replica of the Roe Triplane. We could then have a photoshoot of all of them together.

So that would require an airfield close enough to the Shuttleworth Collection that has a Runway long enough to accomodate 558. The company that owns the Airfield needs to be supportive to our cause, or even better, have a vested interest in the survival of 558. It also has to have had experience in putting on large events.

How about Marshalls at Cambridge?
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline bigmike67

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 03:32:24 PM »
I like this idea a lot and we could combine a section within the airshow for club members that gives them a feeling of belonging to the club......but it needs to be started now ..... :)  :)  :)  :)

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 06:01:55 PM »
It'd be interesting to see if this is viable.

The event at Marshalls last year was brilliant.
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline daveruss

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 07:24:35 PM »
RAF Wyton would also be good, still active but not very busy!

Offline billybear

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 10:34:35 PM »
come on you lot if we are going to have an airshow lets have it up north abit or lincolnshire!!! :D

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 11:42:43 PM »
RAF Wyton is currently undergoing a massive overhaul, there's no way they would want to hold a public event, plus they haven't got the required ground support.

Cambridge Airport is ideal, it meets all the requirements and is on the route of at least three park and rides.
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:06:59 PM »
Quote from: "vulcanlover"
I'm surprised that there's been no official mention by us to the general public that as well as being the 50th Birthday of 558, 2010 is also the Centenary of the formation of A.V. Roe and Company.

If we COULD get our own Airshow organised, perhaps we could celebrate this by having a display of the "Avro Four" together.

If the display was close enough to the Shuttleworth collection, we might even pursuade them to fly in their replica of the Roe Triplane. We could then have a photoshoot of all of them together.

So that would require an airfield close enough to the Shuttleworth Collection that has a Runway long enough to accomodate 558. The company that owns the Airfield needs to be supportive to our cause, or even better, have a vested interest in the survival of 558. It also has to have had experience in putting on large events.

How about Marshalls at Cambridge?

I discussed something along these lines with the Verdon-Roe family at Goodwood Revival in 2009. They are already considering the idea of bringing together a selection of airworthy AV Roe examples at Woodford to mark its closure. Included in the line up for starters were the Shuttleworth's Triplane replica, PA474 and '558...

Much planning (and fundraising) to be done before then!

Gully
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary

Offline bigmike67

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
Quote from: Gully
[  

I discussed something along these lines with the Verdon-Roe family at Goodwood Revival in 2009. They are already considering the idea of bringing together a selection of airworthy AV Roe examples at Woodford to mark its closure. Included in the line up for starters were the Shuttleworth's Triplane replica, PA474 and '558...

Much planning (and fundraising) to be done before then!

That is true but you have to start planning an event like that...this year not to wait to next year...   :)

Offline cosford

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »
I think that Wellsbourne could be a good venue 2 vulcans to be seen, that could be good for XH558 and XM605, with XM605 doing a fast taxi run while XH558 flies above her, fantastic photo opportunity

Offline cosford

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:32 PM »
Oops previous post should have read XM655 not XM605  :oops:

Offline bigmike67

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 04:18:23 PM »
Quote from: "cosford"
I think that Wellsbourne could be a good venue 2 vulcans to be seen, that could be good for XH558 and XM605, with XM605 doing a fast taxi run while XH558 flies above her, fantastic photo opportunity

Where is Wellsbourne then ?...... :)  :)

Offline johnjosh43

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 04:56:36 PM »
Quote from: "bigmike67"
     Where is Wellsbourne then ?...... :)  :)

As far as XH558 is concerned it is in the North. Actually due east of Stratford half way towards M40.

Offline 10680

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 05:32:17 PM »
Quote from: "clemmence"
Here we are again needing emergency cash in a hurry. I know we have longer term finanacial plans but I wonder whether we have the expertise to organise and run our own airshow? Airshows must raise huge amounts of cash - probably enough for our needs.

We would require a friendly airfield where we could run it but if successful it could become an annual event on the airshows calendar and solve our problems for the future.

Sally B used to have a one aircraft fundraising airshow - The Great Warbirds at West Malling and then Wroughton. I can't think of any other airshows for just one plane. And if you are looking at having a new venue that would add issues. But if it can happen it would be great.

As virtually all airshows are north for me, how about Coventry? Building on the Fly In, unless that is to become an annual event. Wouldn’t want to compromise that.