Author Topic: engines  (Read 4354 times)

Offline abbo

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
engines
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:58:19 PM »
Hi im new on here so I dont know if this has been ask.the life span of the engines is almost here could you not modify the vulcan to take a differnt rollsRoyce olympus engine one that could be refurbished so keeping her flying for long

Offline Paddy Langdown

• Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: engines
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »

Welcome!

There is a long answer but the short one is "No" - all the "bits & pieces" (technical terms!) for the 200 series engines won't fit the 300 & vice-versa.

If someone wins the Euromillions & offers to pay, maybe RR could be persuaded to do something but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Offline abbo

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 04:03:55 PM »
Thanks just a shame rr will not help out you would have thought they would jump at it with all the publicity I would get so its a weight and see game

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:37:05 PM »
Thanks just a shame rr will not help out you would have thought they would jump at it with all the publicity I would get so its a weight and see game
Apart from "covering their backs" I don't think Rolls Royce need any publicity.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:19:50 AM »
And quite frankly, if I were an RR shareholder (I'm not directly, but my pension plan probably invests in them), I'd be very unhappy at them giving away millions of pounds (probably 10s of millions) to refurb/rebuild some engines for anyone.  And the publicity would be no good for them at all.  The likes of Airbus don't buy engines from them because they were nice to a charity.
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment