Author Topic: Anybody using a Canon 50D?  (Read 11482 times)

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Anybody using a Canon 50D?
« on: October 04, 2010, 12:27:11 PM »
I had a big birthday last year ( :( ) and my Mum and sister very generously clubbed together to pay for a mega birthday present for me - a Canon 50D  :D

I just wondered if anybody on the forum was using the same model and could give me a few tips - mainly for aircraft? I'm not getting the results I really hoped for and there's nothing wrong with the camera - it's the idiot behind it that's the problem!!!!! :lol:
Any help with which settings you use etc. would be appreciated.................................... ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Nickolas

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reedsom.co.uk
Re: Anybody using a Canon 50D?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:27:43 PM »
Yoo Hoo, I got one. Fab bit of kit.

What lenses are you using?
I'm running the EF-S 18-85mm f4-f5.6 IS USM, EF 75-300mm f4-f5.6 IS USM lenses with lens hoods courtesy of
http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photograph ... 7_403.html Great hoods and loads cheaper than the Canon branded items.
Flash is a Canon Speedlite 430 EXII

Manfrotto monopod, Giottos tripod and manfrotto rc488rc2 head that I use on either.
Bag is a Kata DR 467.

You don't say what your results are like so you had better post something up so we can have a look. You can then tell us what you expected to get  against what you actually got.
Patron Saint of \'The Winter Festival\', Christmas to you, me and those in the REAL world.

God Helps them that Help Themselves but God Help them that gets Caught Helping Themselves

Chief Constable of the Off Topic Police.....

3083 posts on the last forum............

Offline johnri

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 04:23:42 PM »
Me too.

I upgraded from a 450D earlier this year, and am very pleased with the results so far. Still very much learning though.

My lens's are the EFS 17-85 which came with the camera. Plus a Canon EF 300mm 1:2.8 L IS USM which I treated myself to from EBay.

Also have a Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 DG, but don't use that very often.

I'm not qualified to give advice on using the 50D other than keep experimenting.

I have a copy of "Aviation Photography" by T. Malcolm English (ISBN 1-86108-344-0) which I found quite helpful.

JR
I don\'t want a second childhood. I\'m still enjoying the first one.

I\'m retired.
I was tired yesterday, and I\'m tired again today.

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 04:52:26 PM »
As Nickolas said ....... clarificationis needed as th what is meant by "not getting the results I hoped for".
If you look on the old Forum { about June } , you'll find a discussion topic with several hints / tips about aircraft photography.

Edited to say : If you look at my photos in the Competition section , they were all taken on a 50D.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Nickolas

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reedsom.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
I joined this lot.
http://www.canon-fodder-forums.com/forum.php

Now on here we have some SERIOUS photographers with enough kit that if sold would wipe out our current financial situation BUT they are very friendly and approachable.

One of 'em does Carolyn Graces website for her!!
Patron Saint of \'The Winter Festival\', Christmas to you, me and those in the REAL world.

God Helps them that Help Themselves but God Help them that gets Caught Helping Themselves

Chief Constable of the Off Topic Police.....

3083 posts on the last forum............

Offline jangor

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
I am not a Canon user, but the `rules/guidelines` are the same for all makes.

I use shutter priority, around 1/125th for prop jobs, and 1/500th for jets,but the `unwritten` rule is, use the shutter speed closest to the maximum focal length of your lens you are using.

As far as ISO is concered, I always try to use the lowest possible.

Due to the fact that your meter in the camera `may` be fooled by the amount of light from the sky, you may find that your images are underexposed slightly, therefore, you may need to use some exposure compensation of maybe +1 stop to give the aircraft some extra exposure to bring out the details.

Use continous drive and pan the subject as you take your sequence of pictures, remember to carry on `pannign` even after you have taken your last image in the sequence.

I use the above, and it seems to work for me. :)

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:51:55 PM »
It's hard to say where you are going 'wrong' unless you post something you think is wrong.  Most of the 'art' seems to be down to getting the aperture and shutter speed right.   I use full manual, try to keep the aperture setting in or very close to double figures.  Shutter at least 1/320 if not higher.  And I'm still rubbish... lol

Canon 400D, 17-85 IS USM, 75-300 IS USM, 100-400L IS USM....
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:37:38 PM »
Hi People!

Thanks for all your input  :D

The lenses I am using are the old EF series from my EOS1000F film camera and they are the 75-300mm and 35-80mm. The reason I went for the 50D is that these lenses would fit so I could buy a better body rather than buying a lesser body with new lenses – if you get my drift. That's all the kit I have except for a bag.....................................

I had some great results from my old EOS and am looking forwards to bettering them with this camera. The trouble is there is so much this camera can do I'm starting to baffle myself with science!
I was chatting to a guy at Coventry who had the same model and he was using it in manual mode with centre spot focusing. All I've done so far is use the sports mode but it uses the 9 spot focusing and can't seem to hit what I am looking at plus it is underexposing the aircraft because of the light behind.

I'm going to take on board what you've all suggested especially using shutter priority which I used a lot with my old camera. I was hoping that I could just stick it on sports mode and shoot away!  :oops:

I'll download a few pics when I get home (I'm supposed to be working.....................) and see what you all think.

Thanks again for all the comments  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »
Ok - here's a few I've picked at random. None of them are crisply in focus which is what I was hoping for - any ideas or is it just me being a nerd???? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Offline Hedge

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 12:40:26 PM »
I think part of the problem is the reliance on the Auto settings.
Switch to shutter priority and go for say 1/500 sec for jets and 1/250 sec for prop planes.
With such high shutter speeds on the pics you have posted you end up with the aperture set wide open and a lack of depth of field.
I would also say set the ISO to 200 as the norm except if it is cloudy and then I would bump it up to 400 or even 800 at a push just so it gives greater flexibility with aperture and or shutter speed.

The problem with this is a lot of it is trial and error. Hope that helps.   :)

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »
They don't look too bad to me.  The obvious issue is that they are in the most part rather dark.  This can be corrected by either decreasing the aperture number, increasing the exposure time, increasing the ISO, or some combination.  If you shoot in RAW, some of this can be altered in the RAW convertor before processing the image in something like Photoshop.

I've heard arguments for and against centre focus as opposed to multi point.  Best advice is to experiment with the various settings and see what suits you the best.
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline deeleyt

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 04:42:43 PM »
If I got just one that look anything like those that you hav posted i would be over the moon - photos 3 and 4 Grace and raw power brilliant! :D

Offline higgins

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 05:37:11 PM »
Sports setting increases shutter speed in an attempt to freeze moving subjects.

As has been said try shutter priority. You may experience motion blur if you go straight to 1/250th for prop jobs, unless you have a short focal length . Try 1/400th and practise panning even then you may still get blur. Also you mentioned focus, go to your local civil airport take some pics using different focus points, see which gives the best results.

in general your pics look soft, hard to tell if this is caused by depth of field or where your camera is focusing.
If edited will be due to spelting or grammer!

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 09:19:02 AM »
Brilliant! Thanks again for all your help people, it's much appreciated  :D

I've actually written down all of your comments and put them in my camera bag because no doubt I'll get sat at an air show and won't be able to remember it all (it's an age thing  :lol: ) Hopefully I'll be able to get some shots like some of the fantastic ones posted on the forum - fingers crossed!

Meanwhile I'm going to do a bit of birdspotting with my camera as there's nothing else flying around at the moment  ;)

Offline jangor

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »
jakspeed...........

We are still thinking about going to the thunderday at Elvington on the 17th, (definately going to the night shoot on the 16th though), I have your mobile number so will give you a call if we get there on the sunday.

Gordon