Author Topic: RAF Marham under threat  (Read 14503 times)

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
RAF Marham under threat
« on: July 30, 2010, 01:42:47 PM »
Although the Official Statement by the MoD states that 'no decision will be made until the Autumn' the BBC Local News is reporting that the future of RAF Marham is in doubt.

I am too furious right now to make any comment!
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Online Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Marham under threat
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »
I wouldn't get wound up just yet VL - Look North says the same about Scampton every year!!

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:38:23 PM »
anyone want to save up for a Victor?

That would leave no RAF bases in Norfolk for me to look at  :(

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »
On the plus side, the times is saying the accountants have spotted that scrapping the Tornadoes and keeping the Harrier will save them much more money.

We would loose the Tonkas but at least the leaping heap would be safe (for a while) Shame they scrapped all the jigs cos otherwise they could cancel the F35 (White Elephant II) and order a new batch of Harriers to sit on the deck of the new carriers (until they decide to cancel them)

I wonder why I am just shown as a registered user and not a club member, have I been sacked?
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 03:24:38 PM »
Sam - you need to register as per this extracted from the 'welcome to the new forum' topic

Some threads are public read only access, but others are reserved for the exclusive use of members from the Vulcan to the Sky Supporter's Club. To post, you will need to be registered. Sorry, but those who were using the old forum, will need to re-register and complete the simple sign-up process.

To access the club areas you must ensure that in your control panel you have entered your club membership number (you should have entered that at sign up anyway...) Once you have ensured you have entered your club membership number, you can then apply to join the Club Members group. This has to be approved by a moderator/committee member. It is a one time process.

To request membership of the Club Group, go to "User Control Panel" at the top of the screen, select Usergroups, then click on the selct circle to the right of Club Membership and select join from the drop down list and then press submit.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7

it's quite or rather very easy - even I did it without breaking anything! and you only have to do it once.
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline ntt81

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »
Quote from: "sickbag_andy"
Sam - you need to register as per this extracted from the 'welcome to the new forum' topic

.......Once you have ensured you have entered your club membership number, you can then apply to join the Club Members group. This has to be approved by a moderator/committee member. It is a one time process.

it's quite or rather very easy - even I did it without breaking anything! and you only have to do it once.

I couldnt remember my number, but old-forum handle and address etc seemed to do the trick - thanks to the mods!  :D

hugh
hugh

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:36:29 PM »
Quote from: "Sad Sam"
....at least the leaping heap would be safe (for a while) Shame they scrapped all the jigs cos otherwise they could cancel the F35 (White Elephant II) and order a new batch of Harriers to sit on the deck of the new carriers (until they decide to cancel them)
Or take the alternative option.......order a load of AV-8B+ Harrier IIs  from the Yanks -- at least then we'd have some new harriers , with the added bonus that the "Plus" has the AGP-65 air-air radar.
 :mrgreen:

Oh.....and to be on topic.......
Where I live , it's the same as Mayfly says -- pretty much every year there have been reports that RAF/DARA St Athan is going to close { even after they spent millions building the ( still empty ! ) "super hanger" there }
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558

Offline 10tus

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »
The whole remit for having Marham is in doubt. No Tonkas! The RAF will end up a transport arm of the army the way things are going! :shock:

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »
Funnily enough , the same applies to St Athan......
Jags & Shars gone ; Tonkas , VC10s & Harriers going ---- not a lot left for them to do { unless the planned amalgamated training school & other projects actually do go ahead }
Then again , I've given up trying to keep up with what the place is called these days --- First it was "RAF" , then "DARA" , then "DSG" { Defence Support Group }......now I think it's "MoD St Athan"
 :mrgreen:
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558

Offline Checkflaps

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »
I remember when based there, they reckoned it would be the last one to go.

Just rename it RAF Sandringham and I'm sure it will be safe.  :D

Garry

Offline 10tus

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 09:08:33 PM »
The TVOC have always had lots of support there. I know that I'll be on the stall there on their families day in August.

Offline HowSlo

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 11:43:33 PM »
I'm in Norfolk for a few days next week, staying with my wife's 98 year old Granddad.  Despite the fact that he lives only about 12 miles from Marham, I've never been.  I'd already decided to take a look while we're there (if I get my pass signed  :roll: ).  Think I'd better make it a priority... :shock:

Honestly, the way things are going, there will be nothing left.  Am I the only one who worries about this country's ability to defend itself?

Offline Paddy Langdown

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »
Against whom? That is the problem!

Offline Seahornet

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 08:30:46 AM »
Quote from: "Paddy Langdown"
Against whom? That is the problem!

The way these cuts are going, I think the government must have settled on Lichtenstein as the most likely threat...! :roll:

Offline Pickle_Button

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »
Not just Marham, Lossiemouth could also be threatened according to BBC North webpage.  :(
Pickle button. n. - the small button (usually red) on the control column of a fighter jet which when pressed, launches missiles. So called because missiles resemble the shape of a pickle (gherkin).