Author Topic: RAF Marham under threat  (Read 16155 times)

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Marham under threat
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 10:05:57 PM »
Quote from: "Paddy Langdown"
Against whom? That is the problem!

Indeed, but we still need to be able to cover most if not all possibilities.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline Fluffy Bunny

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gassairsoft.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »
Abandon 2 projects that have already consumed many billions of pounds of taxpayers money in favour of spending more money on an off the shelf solution that is already more than halfway to being obsolete technology.
Sounds like what the labour government did when they scrapped TSR2 and bought Phantoms......

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »
Quote from: "Fluffy Bunny"
Abandon 2 projects that have already consumed many billions of pounds of taxpayers money in favour of spending more money on an off the shelf solution that is already more than halfway to being obsolete technology.
Sounds like what the labour government did when they scrapped TSR2 and bought Phantoms......

I agree!

Scrapping those two projects would've been the final death knell for what's left of our once great Aircraft Industry.

Thankfully the Tories set our commitment to the Typhoon Programme in stone in the 1990s!
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline jangor

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »
Quote from: "Fluffy Bunny"

at least we did not get the awefull F111........................ ;)

Offline bigmike67

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 09:25:08 PM »
With this coalition goverment in i am afraid they are hellbent on cutting everthing  and it is not only Marham that is not safe but a lot of other bases...I  remember about 26 years ago a tory goverment minister who's name was  Nott cut 50 foot  of the class 22 frigates and in that cost saving exersise they lost additional ship protection   systems and we lost HMS Sheffield in the Falklands Conflict because of that i afraid it will be very short sited to cut our Eastern defence airfields but the decsion makers will be down a deep hole in ground if there any trouble.... :o

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 03:03:19 AM »
Quote from: "bigmike67"
With this coalition goverment in i am afraid they are hellbent on cutting everthing  and it is not only Marham that is not safe but a lot of other bases...

Without becoming embroiled in a Political slanging match Mike, I think you cannot blame this new Government trying to save money when they have inherited such a Financial black Hole the last lot have left this country in. :x  :x  :x

I agree with you about not to cutting the armed forces down on any count not one plane not one soldier etc but you have to just look at the MOD there are 2 office workers to each person serving so..... Also the millions spent on a NHS computer system which they say is of no use.  :shock:  :shock:

Keep the armed forces to strength and give them all the equipment they need, but look at the waste in other projects 1st before touch defence.

PS

My view only  :lol:

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline bigmike67

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 10:49:13 AM »
I think they are cutting things far too fast .....and airbases are a very easy target but i agree with you completly if the armed forces are are being expected to do more in  areas of conflict they need to be equiped correctly and with enough back up to sustain the position they hold..... my view as well MC