Author Topic: Camera upgrade  (Read 4039 times)

Offline rogerggbr

• Club Member
  • phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Camera upgrade
« on: January 04, 2015, 12:19:11 PM »
Hi all,
Could do with a few pointers if anyone has the time.
Many years ago I used my minolta x700 all the time. Then film fell by the wayside just as funds got tight so I have been using a small compact or my phone only. But santa has been kind and I have a special trip later this year so here we go spending.
I always used to find myself using the zoom far more than anything else, used to be a 70-210, but I see now many more ranges available. Are they really that good from 18-300 etc?
Currently favouring a nikon d5300 so any comments on lenses and questions I should ask or things to try? - I will be visiting actual shops over the next week or two.
Need for general use as well as aviation but all comments appreciated, thanks.

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
Re: Camera upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 12:29:06 PM »
I don't know about Nikons as I've upgraded to an EOS50D with the 70-300mm IS USM Lens and EF-S 18–55mm for close stuff
Great Combo for anything from Meerkats looking at You to a Tornado at 400mph

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline TheWookie

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 01:57:49 PM »
I guess you have this sorted now, but, I've been quite happy with my Nikon D5000 with 70-300mm zoom.

Offline simondjuk

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »
Ive got a Sony digital camera with 63X optical zoom.

Admittedly its not that fast at taking loads of shots at once but it was that or the zoom.  Ive had some good shots from it though.  Best so far was the Eurofighter Typhoon at Eastbourne last year.

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:25:59 PM »
I bought a sigma 18-250 zoom about 2 years ago and it's excellent.
I decided to get a lens in the 'all in one' range after taking my rather heavy 100-400 zoom on holiday and I realised something lighter and easier was a better option. It stays on one of my cameras all the time and is great for just about everything and I use the 100-400 for aircraft when I need a lot of zoom and for wildlife (same reason). There is almost no difference in th quality except at the extreme 250 end whre the Canon 100-400 is slightly sharper but would expect that as that is it's mid range.

there are loads of pics taken with it in my flickr albums: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545@N07/albums , the exif data should say which used the sigma lens

HTH andy
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline rogerggbr

• Club Member
  • phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 09:06:21 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. I did get the Nikon D5300 and later an 18-300 zoom which I now use for almost everything. I know it's probably not ideal, but lets face it the gear is currently much better than I am :-)
I have been getting used to the digital world and you can see lots of my pictures here:-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128497045@N05/
Not all aircraft of course, but I need to practice and have booked for an airshow later in the year.
My visit to the hanger on 2nd March is all in an album here without any editing:-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128497045@N05/sets/72157651634427234