Author Topic: IFR  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Heyfordian123

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
IFR
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me why despite Mike Pollit stating in the Winter 2008 magazine, that it was essential to acquire an IFR capability so as to avoid 'no-shows- due to inclement weather - ( I paraphrase but see page 25 Vol2 No11) and also to reduce airframe fatigue?

Surely Sqn Ldrs DaveT and MartinW had this clearance? They obviously did whilst they were in the RAF. What are the CAA rules on this? I had the impression that it was just a 'desk-top' exercise, for a fee of course..

Ian
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline eddief

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: IFR
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:01:48 PM »
It's not just the crew that have to be suitably approved - so does the aircraft itself (so that instrumentation, etc is adequate to operate with no outside references, etc).

Once we have IFR capability, we'll be allowed to climb through clouds to reach smoother air above.  At present we can only go through large gaps in the cloud layer which tends to mean 558 ends up sat at low level, bumping along and consuming fatigue life at a higher rate.
985 posts on last forum - so I get the \'hallowed 1000\' for just 15 on this one (yippee!)

Offline wildcard

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • The Grace Spitfire
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:43:54 PM »
When do you think IFR will be achieved?
What needs to be done for it to happen for the 2011/20112 season?  ....apart from the obvious funding issue, which we all hope, sorry WILL be sorted in time!  :D

Is there a reason for it not happening sooner - is it as simple as funding & time being the main factors?

Mike

Offline Topsy

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Would a Permit to Fly aircraft even be allowed to fly IFR?

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:33:27 PM »
Quote from: "Topsy"
Would a Permit to Fly aircraft even be allowed to fly IFR?

The Trust has been working for some time with the CAA to gain an exemption from this part of the PtF rules - effectively making a special case for '558. We've been told on a few occasions that the discussions have been favourable, but I dare say the CAA is concerned about setting a precedent...

Wonder if there's any equipment being removed from the grounded Nimrods or VC10's that might ease those discussions? Mind you, that would entail a MOD that we couldn't afford!  :lol:

Gully
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary