Author Topic: Weekends away  (Read 3725 times)

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Weekends away
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:04:01 AM »
For events like Fairford where the Vulcan is there over several days, taking off and landing, does she stay overnight?  Or go back home?  If staying overnight how many of Taff and co have to be there for the pre-flight checks, fuelling and starting procedures?  Also do you have to take your own starting equipment with you, or is there suitable kit on site?

And a supplementary flight crew related rather than engineering.  Last weekend I noticed (but didn't get the opportunity to enquire) that Bill Ramsey and Martin Withers up front were wearing what looked like leg straps under their knees, but Phil Davies in the rear cockpit wasn't.  Are they something to do with ejection procedures?  Or just to stop things falling through holes in pockets onto the floor?

Thanks.

Offline Paddy Langdown

• Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: Weekends away
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »

I can't answer the first part fully except to say that if she is staying away, the ground crew do too.

The second part is because the pilots have ejection seats & the straps pull their legs in & stop them flying about if they have to eject whilst the AEO has to leave via the entrance door which acts as a slide. (The door ladder comes off).

If the nose wheel is down, rear crew had to grab a door strut on the way down & swing clear! A procedure frequently practiced bur never enjoyed.
There was a design for an extended nose section & ejection seats for all crew members but it never got off the drawing board.

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 11:41:58 AM »
I believe that the ground crew split into two teams so that sufficient people are at Doncaster to dispatch 558 and also at RIAT to receive 558,558 requires a Palouste (Air Starter) for her engines so the team either have to take one down with them with all the other ground equipment or borrow one if a compatible item is available.558 is staying at RIAT for the duration of the air show and under wing tours are available (see the list of appearances on the home page).
The straps that you refer to are to ensure that in the unlikely event that 558 has to be abandoned in flight,then as the two pilots eject the leg restraints are retracted to stop the pilots legs coming into contact with the aircraft structure during ejection.
Hope this helps and if anyone wants to add to this please feel free as I have probably got some of it wrong.

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 03:28:54 PM »
Hi,
we have two away displays, one after the other this year (normally three, but no Waddington this year  >:()

The plan as it stands (ish)  We'll all be in at Robin Hood next week to carry out an extra service and some out of phase servicing instructions.  I hope to get some folks in to give the bottom of the jet a clean before she goes away.

We will need a couple of 7.5 Tonne trucks to move the ground equipment.  We will take a safety raiser so we can replace the brake chute (we will be streaming at Yoevilton and Fairford on the Saturday) we also need to take our own towing arm as it is unique to the Vulcan.

Sometimes we can use an airstart trolley provided by the airport we are visiting but generally we like to take our own if we can.

We can take our own power set buts it's a pain to drag around so we tend to do internal starts using the dog for power (not so nice for whoever is on the long lead as that means standing down wind of the jet pipes to do the control checks)  Yoevilton happily has the same sort of power set as we use so it's only at RIAt where it's an issue.

With regard to bodies: I live in Southampton so I will drive up to Doncaster to carry out the service then home to Southampton, then I'll drive to Yoevilton to see her in.  John Huffton will meet at Yoevilton (he lives in Swindon)  Rick Lee and Pat Bower will drag the jet out of the hangar at Doncaster then drive to Yoevilton to help see the jet in.  Ray, Taff, Mark and Steve will see the jet out from Doncaster and then drive down to Yoevilton for the airshow.

After the show we all go home.  Then on the Thursday we go back to Yoevilton.  On Friday Myself, John and Rick will go to Fairford while the rest of the team see the jet off from Yoevilton - the game starts again  ;D

Welcome to the forum
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »
Hi,
we have two away displays, one after the other this year (normally three, but no Waddington this year  >:()

The plan as it stands (ish)  We'll all be in at Robin Hood next week to carry out an extra service and some out of phase servicing instructions.  I hope to get some folks in to give the bottom of the jet a clean before she goes away.

We will need a couple of 7.5 Tonne trucks to move the ground equipment.  We will take a safety raiser so we can replace the brake chute (we will be streaming at Yoevilton and Fairford on the Saturday) we also need to take our own towing arm as it is unique to the Vulcan.

Sometimes we can use an airstart trolley provided by the airport we are visiting but generally we like to take our own if we can.

We can take our own power set buts it's a pain to drag around so we tend to do internal starts using the dog for power (not so nice for whoever is on the long lead as that means standing down wind of the jet pipes to do the control checks)  Yoevilton happily has the same sort of power set as we use so it's only at RIAt where it's an issue.

With regard to bodies: I live in Southampton so I will drive up to Doncaster to carry out the service then home to Southampton, then I'll drive to Yoevilton to see her in.  John Huffton will meet at Yoevilton (he lives in Swindon)  Rick Lee and Pat Bower will drag the jet out of the hangar at Doncaster then drive to Yoevilton to help see the jet in.  Ray, Taff, Mark and Steve will see the jet out from Doncaster and then drive down to Yoevilton for the airshow.

After the show we all go home.  Then on the Thursday we go back to Yoevilton.  On Friday Myself, John and Rick will go to Fairford while the rest of the team see the jet off from Yoevilton - the game starts again 

and me? I'll just have a scotch and smile at the displays.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!