Author Topic: Royal Patronage  (Read 6585 times)

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
Royal Patronage
« on: October 13, 2015, 05:21:37 AM »
I don't know if the Trust has ever made approaches & sought Royal Patronage?
I'd have thought the right type of Patron, particularly one who may be prepared to be quite active, could open a lot of doors, smooth out a lot of obstacles & help bring in a lot of dosh.

Prince Harry seems the obvious choice with his service / veterans / charitable / aviation / historical aviation interests as well as his energy & enthusiasm.
Prince William, perhaps a close 2nd.
Prince Philip, well he's knocking on a bit and long term commitment might not be realistic.
Prince Charles, well .... ::)
Chris

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Patronage
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 05:34:14 AM »
I don't know if the Trust has ever made approaches & sought Royal Patronage?
I'd have thought the right type of Patron, particularly one who may be prepared to be quite active, could open a lot of doors, smooth out a lot of obstacles & help bring in a lot of dosh.

Prince Harry seems the obvious choice with his service / veterans / charitable / aviation / historical aviation interests as well as his energy & enthusiasm.
Prince William, perhaps a close 2nd.
Prince Philip, well he's knocking on a bit and long term commitment might not be realistic.
Prince Charles, well .... ::)

p.s. I meant this with specific regard to keeping XH558 in flight and all of the additional fund-raising / wheel-greasing that this would undoubtedly involve!

p.p.s. Don't forget that XH558 being relegated to being a mere museum piece is initially going to cost a lot of jobs amongst those who have tended the plane, tended to the admin & visitors.  Also I don't think the trust fully appreciates how dramatically visitor numbers are likely to tail off once XH558 ceases to be in the public eye.
Chris

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:00:47 AM »
I think you underestimate the ability of the Trust and the work that has been done in the past towards this aim.

I understand your wishes and especially the search for those who might be able to prolong the flying life of XH558. Easy to say, "been there and got the tee-shirt" but none of us know the lives and connections of each other, and I cling to the hope that either new connections or reminding people of a route, may yet prove fruitful.

Yet again though, we see an event that has stirred the loyalties of current members, awoken others and created a stir within the public, but I doubt little income from newcomers.  Many years ago I said Doctor Robert, "if only everybody who smiled when they saw her paid one pound, we'd be solvent". As you alluded to, it's not necessarily the finance now, but there are major "unknowns" with the aircraft and it's longevity.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 03:22:21 PM »
I think you underestimate the ability of the Trust and the work that has been done in the past towards this aim.

I understand your wishes and especially the search for those who might be able to prolong the flying life of XH558. Easy to say, "been there and got the tee-shirt" but none of us know the lives and connections of each other, and I cling to the hope that either new connections or reminding people of a route, may yet prove fruitful.

Yet again though, we see an event that has stirred the loyalties of current members, awoken others and created a stir within the public, but I doubt little income from newcomers.  Many years ago I said Doctor Robert, "if only everybody who smiled when they saw her paid one pound, we'd be solvent". As you alluded to, it's not necessarily the finance now, but there are major "unknowns" with the aircraft and it's longevity.

You are possibly right, I'm sure there's an awful lot that goes on behind the scenes we don't realise or appreciate.

In truth, the Trust has worked a miracle in getting XH558 back into the air, I acknowledge this in my earlier post 'Salute'. But the Trust, like all of us, is not infallible so you can't take these things as read, (I doubt 'Wreck 4 irreplaceable Rolls-Royce Olympus engines in one go.' was ever part of the official business plan!)
Chris

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »
(I doubt 'Wreck 4 irreplaceable Rolls-Royce Olympus engines in one go.' was ever part of the official business plan!)

Did I miss something, when did 4 engines get wrecked in one go? Seriously, cannot remember that happening...

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »
(I doubt 'Wreck 4 irreplaceable Rolls-Royce Olympus engines in one go.' was ever part of the official business plan!)

Did I miss something, when did 4 engines get wrecked in one go? Seriously, cannot remember that happening...

Dunno .. they must have let my Daughter have a look at them ! lol

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 04:29:51 PM »
What about Richard Branson, he must have a few quid  :P ;D

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 04:48:33 PM »

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 04:54:07 PM »
It was actualy two engines and please don't go there as it still brings back bad memories to a lot of supporters !

Mike
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:28:36 PM by StAthan lecky »
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 04:59:12 PM »
It's Vulcan forum 'Buzzword Bingo' again :D  So far this week we've had:-

'Richard/Beardy Branson' (thanks Lee, long overdue a mention)
'e-petition'
'Missed Opportunity' (brings back memories of 2008)
'Royal Patron'

Just waiting for these classics to crop up:-

'Concorde Engines'
'Olympus 301 Engines'
'Olympus Marine Engines'
'Chris Evans'
'Lottery Funding'

;)
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 05:38:40 PM »
Or the always popular
- restore another Vulcan, XM655 or XL426
- but the BBMF aircraft are older
- why cant the RAF look after her
- Barrel roll
- re engine her

Offline Lincoln

• Regular User
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 07:23:23 PM »
I hold my hands up, I brought up the barrel roll last week  ;) ;D ;D (Although in my defense I wasn't asking for her to do one LOL  ;D )
My google page, Airfields of Lincolnshire photo albums.
https://plus.google.com/photos/117592648820664297663/albums

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 11:29:47 PM »

My bad, sorry!
JUST the 2 irreplaceable Rolls-Royce Olympus engines, so obviously hardly worth mentioning;
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/354/82/Engine-Damage-Update.html
Chris

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 11:37:30 PM »
It was actual two engines and please don't go there as it still brings back bad memories to a lot of supporters !

Mike

My apologies, I hadn't realised we had Soviet style censorship.

Revised Statement:
The Glorious Mother Trust has built 500 new Vulcan planes, each with fully functioning solid gold engines.
Chris

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 02:32:56 PM »
The truth of the matter is that whilst the reason for the engines destruction was well documented,the events leading up to it never were ! and as the Trust pulled out of Waddington that year we on the Club Stand were left to face the million and one questions from the public.

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"