Author Topic: Final Flight  (Read 27540 times)

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: Final Flight
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 12:38:27 PM »
I am sorry Rick but I do not see how the Trust have fallen short with final flight when it was not their decision. They were working within constraints imposed on them to avoid huge costs.  This comes from Shoreham, car fest and Hillsborough which has made authorities very jumpy having seen the huge crowds 558 drew in her final year. The 'duty of care' issue will have knock on effects and especially when it has come from inquiry involving this police force area it was always going to be an issue. It recommends duty of care is to people outside as well as inside an event and on the back on Shoreham really is an issue.

These constraints will not apply to fast taxis - many, many people only want to see her in the air and others will head for their closest aircraft (in my case 655).    The airport are fully supportive of future plans as has been stated in newsletters and in info PA28 provided on here. The problem is this info now needs to be clearly promoted to followers and quickly which is the point Mayfly raised. Info is scattered around or in old newsletters and articles but needs to be in one place to stop a mass exodus of support.

Rick Steer

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 12:57:41 PM »
Sarah, I completely agree regarding information - clear facts prevent the spread of rumours, mis-information and frustration.

I understand the constraints you describe, but since all of these requirements were put in place, I have attended several airshow's which have been completed successfully. That illustrates that you can work within the requirements if there is a will from all sides. In my opinion, where the trust has fallen short is in securing that goodwill of Robin Hood and the police services to secure a way for spectators to attend the last ever flight of XH558. With all of the negotiating skills that must have been accumulated over the past 8 years, it's deeply frustrating that a more satisfactory outcome could not have been achieved.....but at the end of the day it's been and gone now.

These are my views and opinions, I'm not going to get into an argument over it - I just wanted to put the other side of the discussion so you know how those of us who are not party to all of the work that goes on behind the scenes are feeling. We'll have to agree to differ....

Over and out....

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »
There is a postal mailing on all this with the printers.... Online is set to start next week, just ahead of its arrival and it looks like some very positive news in other areas might just be about to break.

I can say no more on the matter right now, but be assured your concerns 'on the bigger picture' are being addressed and the future looks bright (not orange), but Delta inspirational shaped and one or two other things .... and NO, NOT CONCORDE!!

Rick Steer

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 03:11:39 PM »
I can't wait...fingers crossed for some good news

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 03:12:22 PM »
I am sorry Rick but I do not see how the Trust have fallen short with final flight when it was not their decision. They were working within constraints imposed on them to avoid huge costs.  This comes from Shoreham, car fest and Hillsborough which has made authorities very jumpy having seen the huge crowds 558 drew in her final year. The 'duty of care' issue will have knock on effects and especially when it has come from inquiry involving this police force area it was always going to be an issue. It recommends duty of care is to people outside as well as inside an event and on the back on Shoreham really is an issue.

I'm afraid I feel the same as Rick and this line of his sums up why
'Let me try to explain the depth of people's feelings by using Martin's analogy about it being like a funeral. Imagine being told that, having paid for some of the care costs over the last 8 years for your (now recently departed) relative, you are told to stay away from the funeral....but you can watch it on TV.....if only the TV feed hadn't crashed just at the most poignant moment of the entire day. To many of us humble members, it is unacceptable. '

I stayed away but close to the tablet as all the hints were of a flight on Wednesday and I did want to see that final touchdown, I opted not to see it live as per the authorities and Trust's requests, foolishly confident that the promised live streaming would be an adequate compromise. So having chased over much of the country supporting and raising funds for the aircraft I did at least know i could see that final moment when the wheels regained contact with the ground for ever. To have that moment taken away because somebody failed a: to get a strong enough broadcasting set up to meet the demand - they must have been aware of the interest because of all the 'stay away' warnings, and b: endlessly ensured us paying supporters that we would see it live on screen with no issues, was the most disappointing moment of 2015 for me and I honestly do feel totally let down by the Trust, they made a strong promise of live streamingto persuade us to keep away and they failed.
Having seen videos of the landing since (and seeing it after the event is not the same, it's like watching the cup final when you know the result) there were enough camera crews around the airfield filming the event, why could they not have asked who had the best equipment to broadcast it live? Sadly I think it may have been because Planes TV offered the best opportunity for 'last flight' videos to sell afterwards to hopefully fill the coffers.
One last point, despite those numerous photographers / camera crews all over the airfield I saw very little in the media afterwards covering the final flight and somewhere I saw it was touted as a flight for the media. So what happened to all their material, I saw nothing on TV at all and even on the BEEB website all I saw was a bit of amateur footage from outside the airfield and a small piece about the flight. If the trust were planning to use the flight as a publicity tool then it was a rather weak one.
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Vulcan-s-final-flight-confirmed-15-minutes-long/story-28069409-detail/story.html

http://www.examiner.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/vulcan-xh558-farewell-tour-cold-10346895

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/last-airworthy-avro-vulcan-takes-10349455

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1224833/Vulcan-bomber-makes-final-flight-Doncaster-Airport.html

http://www.australiandefence.com.au/news/strike-bombers-northrop-to-build-us-latest-uk-veteran-takes-a-bow

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/video-sad-farewell-to-the-vulcan-1-7541515

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/happy-landings-as-giant-of-the-skies-bows-out-34150575.html

http://home.bt.com/news/news-extra/the-last-flying-vulcan-bomber-has-taken-to-the-skies-for-a-poignant-final-flight-11364013439584

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.gizmodo.in/science/Watch-the-Last-Flight-of-a-Legendary-British-Bomber-Plane/articleshow/49588714.cms&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoTNTA5MjAzMjI5NDgwOTI1MzcyNzIcZmU5NjFkNzRiOGU3OGIyMTpjby51azplbjpHQg&usg=AFQjCNG0Sf2_RSQm4sRhlHi9P7aRwfLrgQ

http://www.harboroughmail.co.uk/news/mail-news/harborough-woman-who-loved-this-beautiful-vulcan-1-7037978

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/uknews/11930957/Stunning-photographs-of-Vulcan-bomber-XH558-flying-over-Beachy-Head.html

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/last-vulcan-bomber-become-living-10309081

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-34652152

I could find more .....

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »
but Ian, some of those are hardly national / international household names (unless you live in Buxton) and some don't even relate to the last flight.
The only TV coverage I saw was a link from one of the BEEB's regional programmes posted via youtube, the news certainly didn't reach Essex as far as I can tell!
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Prometheus

• Do I really want a title?
  • Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
    • T. A. Ashcroft - Author
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 05:05:42 PM »
Avro 707 to the sky?  :P

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »
agree David . So many negative comments . Have to appreciate the effort was all about the farewell tour and all that involved . Sure now that has been done the next phase will have equally as much effort put into it and we will all be informed

Getting XH558 back into flight - miraculous.
Farewell to Flight Season / Tour of the Nation - awesome.

Next phase - hardly a soul is going to care. Probably a fraction of 1% of those who would travel to displays are going to bother to visit XH558 in her mausoleum. 95% of VULCAN is in the flight.

I'm really surprised that people who are obviously VULCAN obsessives, (and I say that in the nicest possible way), don't get this.
Chris

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
Having seen videos of the landing since (and seeing it after the event is not the same, it's like watching the cup final when you know the result) there were enough camera crews around the airfield filming the event, why could they not have asked who had the best equipment to broadcast it live? Sadly I think it may have been because Planes TV offered the best opportunity for 'last flight' videos to sell afterwards to hopefully fill the coffers.
And there's another slap to us from The Trust .. Supporters, Volunteers and People who've worked their butts off gaining support and funding for XH558 over the Past 8yrs of Flight .. Us Members, of whom some have Donated Thousands of Pounds of Hard earned Money to keep this Dream Flying .. Have to buy the DVD of the Final Flight to see and hear it all .. my 2p worth!!

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 09:11:48 PM »
Next phase - hardly a soul is going to care. Probably a fraction of 1% of those who would travel to displays are going to bother to visit XH558 in her mausoleum. 95% of VULCAN is in the flight.

I'm really surprised that people who are obviously VULCAN obsessives, (and I say that in the nicest possible way), don't get this.

That's your opinion, everybody is entitled to their's. You cannot lambast people for keeping to their own, and not yours.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Tutorboy

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 09:34:32 PM »
Hi Folks, now it's all over bar the new life for 558 I thought it would be OK to join you.  I'm sorry for everyone who didn't get the chance to see the last flight.  I think the secrecy was necessary but just as unsatisfactory for the crew as for most other people.  It was a pleasure to fly her for one last time in front of a selection of our magnificent volunteers.  I hope you enjoy the edit of the Planes TV video.  In the end I just said thanks to the weather God for letting us do it.  Thanks on my part to each and everyone who supported the aircraft in any way over the last few years.  It was a real privilege to fly your aeroplane.

Regards

Bill Ramsey

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 09:49:33 PM »
A big thankyou to You Bill and the crews. the pleasure that it has generated is immense, though we were on the ground.

Let's see how the immediate future pans out and good luck to the Wooden Wonder.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Rover3500

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 11:50:34 PM »
It was just bizarre  the secret final flight - how many 10,000's  of  people did the authorities expect to turn up on a weekday on a dreary winter day in October. While XH558 is hugely popular and has a huge following it is sadly  not as popular as   Manchester United. Totally over the top.

I viewed the farewell to flight landing  from  Finningley....I managed to park my car, walk a short distance to a convenient viewing area (that had ample space) then drive home again in free flowing traffic.  There was no 'gridlock'. People on this occasion were allowed to  use their common sense and judgement.

To an observer like me it does seem to confirm that knee jerk risk aversion, not logic or reason is ruling the day.

I have said before that after modifications 2222,2429,2430 & 2221, XH558's airframe  was certified by AVRO  for many more hours of flight than the 346 hrs XH558 completed post restoration. Yet we keep being told that the trust would be 'flying into the unknown'.

Rolls Royce certified the Olympus for 2000 flying hours when they were overhauled..then inexplicably changed this to 1200 cycles that left the engines near their end of their working life after just a few hundred hours...

The live video was okay but not really something to tell the grandkids about....

(sitting  under dining table with saucepan on head)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:10:48 AM by Rover3500 »

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »
Hi Folks, now it's all over bar the new life for 558 I thought it would be OK to join you.  I'm sorry for everyone who didn't get the chance to see the last flight.  I think the secrecy was necessary but just as unsatisfactory for the crew as for most other people.  It was a pleasure to fly her for one last time in front of a selection of our magnificent volunteers.  I hope you enjoy the edit of the Planes TV video.  In the end I just said thanks to the weather God for letting us do it.  Thanks on my part to each and everyone who supported the aircraft in any way over the last few years.  It was a real privilege to fly your aeroplane.

Regards

Bill Ramsey

Hi Bill,

It's obviously the people closest to XH558, regardless of their personal views on termination of flight, who will feel the loss the most; the ground crew & flight crew.

I'd Echo Planenuts' thanks for everything.

On a personal note I'd just say thanks for all of the in-flight cockpit coverage you & your son have made available on Youtube over the past few years - gripping stuff!
Chris