Author Topic: The new 'Vulcan'  (Read 23574 times)

Offline JeremyC

• Regular User
    • View Profile
The new 'Vulcan'
« on: November 03, 2015, 08:58:40 AM »
So if the the trust where to take on a new 'to the sky project' what would you nominate?

My 'realistic' pool would be Lightning, Buccaneer & Harrier from which I'd probably plump for the Lightning though it's fag paper close.

My 'unrealistic' pool has a Victor and Concorde in it!

And as an completely left field suggestion a new Avro 707 from scratch with a modern engine.

Offline jocelyn

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: The new 'Vulcan'
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
Great list !! But...the CAA would not like it  !!!   

Offline JeremyC

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:01:09 AM »
I suspect the Bucc and Harrier are the most realistic.  Lightnings are probably too leaky.

Offline 747pete

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 12:45:46 PM »
Ihttp://www.incredible-adventures.com/cape-town-jets-news-2010aug.htm         lt has already been tried but not that easy....

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »
Lightning? - No Way! Though as an ex No.2(T) Sqn [Coltishall] avionics fitter, it would be awesome!  I was fortunate to have 2 trips in a T5 and, despite the first one toppling my gyros for 4 days with motion sickness, it was one of the highlights of my RAF career- thanks to Wg Cdr Paul Hobley, Sqn OC.

And while much has been documented about the incessant leaks and poor fire integrity, the crash in Cape Town in 2009 which resulted in the death of one of Thunder City's pilots was the end of the line for Mike Beachy Head's operation when the SA CAA withdrew his company's operating permit.

The aircraft suffered hydraulic failure after a fire started in the rear of the fuselage.  The pilot, Dave Stock,  was killed because his ejection seat failed due to poor maintenance practices.  As it happened, the T5, ZU-BEX [previously RAF no. XS451] was one of the two aircraft I flew in mentioned above.

As I remember, there were no internal fuel tank bladders in the wings, hence the large number of bins underneath the jets when in the hangar as well as liberal amounts of "swoop" [a.k.a. Chicken S"*t] spread around! The amount of "PRC" mastic used to plug the leaks must have increased the all up weight of 1 or 2 of the beasties!

So no CAA approval - indeed they weren't event granted permission to fly out of the UK to South Africa when the Buccaneers were.

Offline muchado

• Club Member
  • phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 01:20:04 PM »
TSR2.. completely way out there because the project was cancelled. but to get one of the remaining at least Taxiable would be amazing!

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »
I'd go for the Harrier ..
still in Service so RR couldn't say they've not got the experience on the Pegusus and Spares are all over the place ..

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »
So if the the trust where to take on a new 'to the sky project' what would you nominate?

My 'realistic' pool would be Lightning, Buccaneer & Harrier from which I'd probably plump for the Lightning though it's fag paper close.

My 'unrealistic' pool has a Victor and Concorde in it!

And as an completely left field suggestion a new Avro 707 from scratch with a modern engine.

If The Trust wish to carry out a worthwhile heritage restoration project to get an iconic & enormously popular plane back in the air, here is my even more unrealistic list;
1. AVRO VULCAN XH558

Chris

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 03:06:28 PM »
Talking after Gaydon on the Final Display sortie Dr Plemming was discussing what could come next.  Someone mentioned the Lightning and he said 'no way' as it had been so dangerous when in service, killing more pilots than the infamous Starfighter.  Ditto Concorde as BAS had point-blank said they wouldn't support it.  A couple of people (me included) mentioned the Harrier, which he didn't comment on, his preference being the Mosquito (equal first in my book) which is already underway of course, with Bill Ramsey already involved.

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 05:21:17 AM »
Personally, that's it for me!!!

There is no other Aircraft that would motivate me to go out of my way to see it display...apart from another Vulcan.

I am planning on keeping up with my membership to the club, just as long as it's worth the money...after all, I am a Yorkshireman!!!
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 09:00:29 AM »
I really don't know what would motivate me to the level of support that I've given the Vulcan over the last 12 or so years.

Probably the only thing that comes anywhere near close is a Mosquito

As far as jets are concerned I have reservations about them flying in civilian hands post Shoreham (and Carfest) and much as I enjoyed seeing Lightnings fly in the past I would  be very anti any attempt to get one back in the air as even with the greatest of care I feel it could be an accident waiting to happen. I'd rather see F.16s or similar doing their thing at far less cost and being modern probably far safer.

This has made me think a bit following yesterday's newsletter though (and I could open a can of worms here), I have a standing order to the Trust 'for the maintenance and operation of Vulcan XH558' - and now I presume preservation as well. If they have a desire to get involved in other projects:
1: can I be sure that my donation would be entirely on XH558 and not partly on other projects
2: if they get involved in other projects would I have any say in what those projects are and if I didn't wish to support and if point 1 is not met, could my donation to '558 be ring fenced for the intended purpose or would it be a case of 'hard luck' at which point I would have to walk away.

I suppose the same could be asked of my club membership, if from time to time the club continues to hand over money to the Trust, will they get an assurance that such monies will go solely towards'558 rather than other projects?
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 09:04:39 AM »
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Lincoln

• Regular User
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 09:26:58 PM »
I jokingly asked the other day what it would take to get the Lincoln at Cosford up and running  ;) ;D

Perhaps the Argentinians would let us have one of the two over there  ;) . I doubt the Australians would let us have theirs.
A Lancaster, Lincoln, Shackleton formation just sounds amazing  ;D (literally lol).
My google page, Airfields of Lincolnshire photo albums.
https://plus.google.com/photos/117592648820664297663/albums

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 08:10:21 AM »
I really don't know what would motivate me to the level of support that I've given the Vulcan over the last 12 or so years.

Probably the only thing that comes anywhere near close is a Mosquito

looks like somebody is hoping to answer my dreams: https://www.facebook.com/BigginHillHeritageHangar/posts/841733992601009

fantastic news to start the day off, lets hope it can happen even if it takes a while!

And as an aside, I noticed on UKAR (where I found the link to the Mossie news) a post which says that the Trust are interested in helping to get 'Just Jane' airworthy.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:13:11 AM by sickbag_andy »
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »
Indeed, excellent news about the 'Mossie', this would get me to airshows with the same fervour as XH558.