Author Topic: The new 'Vulcan'  (Read 23619 times)

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: The new 'Vulcan'
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »
Just seen the announcement in the newsletter, I am not too surprised and wish the whole project the best - with the involvement of the established Vulcan Club and Vulcan to the Sky Trust and teams, this should be a doddle, nothing complex this time.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Rushy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rushy.net/
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 08:15:07 PM »
I have to say that I was hoping for a Mossie! :)
--

Whoda thunk it?

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2015, 08:20:36 PM »
Doesn't really tickle my fancy enough to come out of retirement for, wonder how it all will pan out, will the Club be involved?

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2015, 01:32:01 AM »
The Mosquito was an incredible aeroplane that made a huge contribution during WW2. A Mosquito or two aloft is well overdue.

Didn't someone allegedly in the know recently mention the new project shortly to be announced was 'Delta-inspired'. I'm not sure how the Mosquito fits that bill?!
(Apart from which it predates 'Delta' so I'm not sure how it can have been inspired by the Delta profile?)
Chris

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2015, 08:01:34 AM »
Good luck to them with this project,,
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Buzz Lightyear2.

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2015, 06:46:10 PM »
What about getting a couple of Lancasters in the air? plenty to go at, Duxford, East Kirby and Hendon. Just as beautiful as the Vulcan. just a thought.  :D

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 02:17:23 AM »
What about getting a couple of Lancasters in the air? plenty to go at, Duxford, East Kirby and Hendon. Just as beautiful as the Vulcan. just a thought.  :D

There are lots of fantastic aeroplanes of all eras, the Lancaster is an amazing icon.  No plane anywhere near as beautiful as VULCAN though! (In my humble opinion).
Chris

Offline JeremyC

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2015, 09:19:18 AM »
Much as I'm looking forward to seeing a Mosquito airborne again surely the trust's expertise is in more complex 'challenging'  aircraft.  As the lightning is, sadly if understandably, out I'd be rooting for either a Buccaneer or a Harrier.

Offline Ollie Impus

• Registered
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »
Absolutely, to see a Mossie in our skies would be great - but a Harrier as well would get my vote - for its obvious display capabilities. Then again, isn't there a Victor around the place that's proven to be sort of.. flyable? Dammit, let's have all 3!

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 10:12:07 AM »
Once again, I provide a link to those discussions....... 
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/smf/index.php?topic=6069.msg67533#msg67533

Harrier for me, the aircraft type should have a history that the general public can relate to.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline JeremyC

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2015, 10:44:21 AM »
Once again, I provide a link to those discussions....... 
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/smf/index.php?topic=6069.msg67533#msg67533

Harrier for me, the aircraft type should have a history that the general public can relate to.

If the forum must have so many sections this is the inevitable consequence.

Offline Keith lawes

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 01:05:47 PM »
How about this for a bonkers project:-

As I understand it an original Vulcan will never fly again primarily because of the outmoded technology of the electrical systems. The fly-by-wire stuff, electrical power management and all the other electrical bits and pieces. They were first generation, completely analogue, and completely unique. They presumably incorporate valves, relays, cloth insulated wires and lumps of bakelite! Maybe even (like the Harrier) lengths of bicycle chain. They are outmoded and will never be let in the air again.

However the airframe itself is, apart from being gorgeous, proven to be pretty bullet proof.

So how about you translate the old airframe drawings into a modern 3D model (Katia/Proe or whatever). A massive task with a massive cost. But can be costed pretty accurately. And as you do so look at modern fly by wire and electrical power management systems, airbus, boeing, whatever. Bound to be much smaller and more reliable than the bakelite ones. Can they be realistically fitted into the model?
And the engines. Are modern military engines a similar aspect ratio to the Olympus? Or can the airframe be tweaked?
Can a rough cost be estimated for the above. £100M? £500M? £5,000M??? The first might just be attainable over a lot of years, lets face it £22M was raised to keep XH558 in the air, so there is public will and crowdfunding there somehow.
And maybe think of some more radical concepts to save costs. No bomb doors perhaps? No ejector seats, after all you don't get them on any civil jet? Seats for paying passengers?? Have the cockpit cover 1 way glass, so looks the same from the outside but inside you can see out. Would guess there are plenty of billionaires who would pay v good money for a flight??
Of course what would result would just be a pastiche, but any vulcan is better than no vulcan at all.

Will have to go now. My attendants have just come to take me back to my padded cell.

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 04:12:06 PM »
Could you design & build a VULCAN facsimile which looks, sounds & handles like the real McCoy but which is inherently safer, stronger & future proofed, running on modern technology. Probably! Cost? My guess - approaching the cost of comprehensively restoring XH558, (?£200M+?).  The 'old techniques lost' argument is in my belief a smokescreen, if the money was there people could, and would, be trained up on lost SKILLS & technologies.

If someone showed you a vintage Rolex, you might be quite interested, if they told you it was made in Beijing last week your interest would probably wane.  Part of the allure with these old military planes is that they are the real McCoy, associated with specific conflicts or eras.  The history permeates their being and adds to them.

There are some quite good VULCAN replicas about, although they're unlikely to be carrying Billionaire passengers any time soon;
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oV8h4OEFOsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4SGr41rmEw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Chris

Offline Keith lawes

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 04:34:42 PM »
I'm sure you're right. The pastiche vulcan would have lost a lot of its appeal, especially to the real aircraft enthusiast.

But I think there is a huge body of vulcan fans out there who are not typical aircraft enthusiasts. They just love the aesthetics, the experience, the sight and sound. They are in general not interested in any other aeroplane. And they would be less upset by it not being the real deal.

Key to any credibility would be for it to a British project, to demonstrate British engineering prowess. Think that would claw some wow factor back. Hate to play the Union Jack card too heavily in any engineering project but in this case think it would be essential.

As you say a Bejing Rolex is not of much interest, but if it was made by British craftsmen....?

Anyhow bit of a pointless argument I guess. But fun to speculate....

P.S. Love the V models!!

Offline CLIFFORD

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2015, 02:13:38 PM »
just seen in flypast that XM573 is going to be restored at the AIR & SPACE MUSEUM IN NABRASKA.
any volunteers.