Author Topic: e-Petitions  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Buzz Lightyear2.

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
e-Petitions
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:44:57 AM »
There are 3 e-petitions concerning XH558, here is the link to one of them, please sign it - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104673

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: e-Petitions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 01:59:16 PM »
There are 3 e-petitions concerning XH558, here is the link to one of them, please sign it - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104673

Hi,

I really appreciate what you're trying to do here, a month or two back I was urging people to sign the petition to BAA, Marshal, etc.
I don't, however, now view this as a route which is likely to be fruitful.

The RAF wouldn't have disposed of XH558 if they thought there was any long-term prospect for keeping the plane alive for display, (without spending hundreds of £Millions that is).
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight? It's not a Battle of Britain era plane.

I think the only microscopically slender chance that there is for XH558 to return to flight again would involve a new engineering production run to remanufacture engines & spares, a total airframe disassembly & renovation with remanufactured / uprated major fatigue components & a fresh total systems overhaul.  Wild guesstimates on this ¬£200M - ¬£300M? and many decades of work to get there.

This would be the most ambitious ever British heritage project.

Let's be realistic, it's not likely to happen!  It's certainly not going to happen without XH558 having a real heavyweight for a Champion.

The Trust have raised the white flag, we may see this a defeatism, most appear to view it as realism.  I's been difficult enough to raise the funds to conduct the restoration to flight & maintain display attendance, if suddenly 20 or 30 times this amount is to be found, could this be done? I think it's obvious it could not. It needs Government heritage funding, perhaps with further heritage lottery support, to even consider such a vast undertaking.

All this money, well it's our money at the end of the day.
Year after year we see vast amounts of public funding being wasted on nonsense with little or no public support.  XH558 is adored & idolised by our nation - if ever there is an appropriate cause for support from public funds it's this one.

I think a petition could eventually be fruitful, it just needs to be the right one.
It would also need the support of the Trust, or for them to stand aside & surrender the VULCAN.
Most of all it needs a HUGE name behind it, someone with an interest in the armed forces & military heritage, someone who has vast energy, someone for whom doors will open, someone who is young enough to be in this for the long haul. It is for this reason that I've recently written to the office of Prince Harry to flag this up as an cause which he may consider taking up.

Again, reality check, it's not likely to go anywhere but it's definitely not going anywhere if every last one of us has hoisted our personal white flag.
Chris