Author Topic: The vulcan effect. A theory..  (Read 7997 times)

Offline Keith lawes

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
The vulcan effect. A theory..
« on: November 30, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »
I am going to miss 558. Dreadfully. Disproportionately. But why? After all is said and done she is just an aeroplane.
Or maybe not. I have a theory....
I believe 558 was, in the nicest possible way, a drug. An upper. A hit. It was a hit I became addicted to. And now it’s no longer available I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms.
I think I can trace this addiction back to the Bournemouth airshows of the 1980s. These were held inland at what was then Hurn airport.  Rather than mixing it with the hoi-palloi in the main crowd-line, you could for a couple of quid stand in a farmer’s field on the opposite side of the runway. Not only was this cheaper it was also better, as it was under the main display flight path. Everything went right over the top of your head, and from what I remember, considerably lower than they’re allowed now.
Spitfires, Lancs and the like were wonderful enough from this viewing position. But when the Vulcan came it was something else. Unearthly. Mind blowing. The threatening, head on profile would whine towards you, trailing soot, getting larger and larger. Then the throttles would open, and the spine-tingling howl would fill the sky. The nose would go up and the huge tin triangle would soar heavenwards. And you were right underneath her, being shaken to the very core.
Now for the philosophical bit. Life, for the most part, is a little dull. Gas bills, washing up, work and the daily grind. But when the Vulcan is roaring above you, filling every sense to the full, life is not dull. Life is not dull at all. For those few seconds of the howling climb life is exciting, fabulous and seems to offer infinite possibilities. Adrenalin and endorphins flow. A massive, addictive upper. But then all too soon it’s over, and it’s back to the washing up. But you do not forget the hit, and you want more.
Started travelling to other shows, Yeovilton, Biggin Hill, Boscombe Down. Always chasing that high, a howling climb into the blue yonder with myself as close as possible. Went to the final 90s display with the “farewell” message taped slightly crudely on the bomb door, a sad and I thought final farewell.
Then the resurrection. Maybe a little tamer than before, or maybe my senses getting a little jaded, but still fabulous. Every year, here and there, a few tens of seconds of pure adrenalin. Still remember my favourite climb-outs. Against a backlit clouded sky at Yeovilton a couple of years ago. A bonus climb at Bournemouth on the Saturday this year when she was not meant to be displaying. We were on the end of the pier, she climbed right above us, and the little German tourist next to us (who had never heard of the Vulcan) got so excited he started jumping up and down waving his arms about. And then to Old Warden for her final howling pass, climb and “sixty degree” wingover. Her very last public display. And every bit as wonderful as her first.
So farewell my old upper. What am I to do now for my annual hit of adrenalin? Too old for skydiving. Too young for bowls.

Offline steve w

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: The vulcan effect. A theory..
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »
Nicely put.

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »
never too old for skydiving

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline Rushy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rushy.net/
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 05:54:32 PM »
Stick with it Keith. There are plenty more Howls to be had on ground runs!
Stay ahead of her as she spools up and you'll get the shock wave that comes from the howl shaking your whole being.
Then you can branch out and start getting hits from XM655 and XL426 too! :)
--

Whoda thunk it?

Offline Keith lawes

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 06:11:44 PM »
Thanks Guys. maybe will give skydiving a go. And ground runs. but it'll only be a partial hit!

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 06:21:52 PM »
Thats a really lovely post Keith Thank you  :D
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline Keith lawes

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 06:29:36 PM »
Thanks. Had to do something to get it out of my system. At the final pass at Old Warden cried my silly eyes out. Silly sod!

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »
What an absolute load of codswallop - I agree with every word, brilliantly put, thanks. Oh, go for the sky-dive, then for a fast-taxi run.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 08:49:33 PM »
Nice one Keith.  :)

Einstein couldn't have worded it better.
Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline Keith lawes

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 10:35:12 PM »
Maybe Einstein would have put it more concisely....    v = mc2. Oh well, please yourselves.

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 01:03:55 AM »
Maybe Einstein would have put it more concisely....    v = mc2. Oh well, please yourselves.

Sums it up really!
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 08:01:19 AM »
Well said!!  I can recommend the engine run experience!!! Total Blast!!!!!
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Mags

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:28 PM »
Keith - what a lovely post :)

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 11:27:26 PM »
I think there is definitely a design flaw that has become quite apparent amongst Vulcan Fanatics during the latter part of 2015 - bilateral ocular leakage.
Chris

Offline Keith lawes

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 01:02:56 AM »
Chris you are so right. Ridiculous really if you think about it. It is just an aeroplane!