Author Topic: Can she fly again....... yes according to this chap......  (Read 9384 times)

Offline Mac

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Can she fly again....... yes according to this chap......
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 03:24:40 AM »
Very interesting, it would be great if there is mileage in this but as the article is 4 months old and the sense of white flags being hoisted by the Trust has pervaded I'm not too hopeful, (but I'm always happy for another straw to clutch at!)  I'd recently had correspondence back from Kensington Palace that Prince Harry has weighed up the pro's & con's and decided he is unable to provide support or Patronage to help XH558 get back into the air, he's obviously a brave young man but not quite brave enough to put his name behind a £200M+ project of this nature.

I feel that the article is a bit misguided, however, making comparisons between a VULCAN & a B17, with engine failure in a B17 it's usually just a question of making that engine safe, (e.g. fuel stop), and fly on reduced power. In a VULCAN an engine failure is quite likely to be a catastrophic one, turbine blades disintegrating, flying off into the adjacent engine & wrecking that one as well, also causing fuel tank ruptures, control damage, fuselage / frame damage.
Chris

Offline scampton61

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.underthefloor.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »
he's obviously a brave young man but not quite brave enough to put his name behind a £200M+ project of this nature.

So because he doesn't share your obsession, or perhaps considers your plucked out of thin air fantasy figure of £200 million could be better spent, he's branded not brave enough? Not just the article that's misguided then.

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 02:57:55 PM »
he's obviously a brave young man but not quite brave enough to put his name behind a £200M+ project of this nature.

So because he doesn't share your obsession, or perhaps considers your plucked out of thin air fantasy figure of £200 million could be better spent, he's branded not brave enough? Not just the article that's misguided then.

Me obsessed by VULCAN? Guilty as charged. (I think you'll find one or two others in these forums!)
Fantasy figure? True this isn't costed but it is, I feel, a realistic - even conservative guesstimate based upon information I've gleaned from other much more knowledgeable members in various posts in these forums, (I'm talking an extensive structural & mechanical refurbishment with all the re-skilling & re-tooling that would imply).

Could the money be better spent? That depends on what your definitions & priorities are; Education, Health-care, Veterans support, Social Housing, the Arts, etc. All worthy of proper funding but Heritage has got to come up in there somewhere in the ranks of priorities.

I think that 'The Spirit of Great Britain' has been a living, breathing Tribute to all those who served during the Cold War. Men who brought their families up on bases that they knew to be Soviet priority targets, men who were prepared to take to the air at the drop of a hat, knowing what grim task they were entrusted with & knowing that all they would have to return to was an irradiated wasteland. XH558 also served as a high-profile tangible Memorial to the handful of men who's lives were lost to the V-bomber project either during development or active service.  How do you set a value on this?  I'm damned if I know!

That £200M+ is swallowed up several times over every year in Governmental waste such as abortive IT projects that never see the light of day.

Let me be clear here, my initial post was not intended to be disrespectful, as I've said Prince Harry is a brave individual as he has shown in front-line service, (as brave as any person who puts themselves in harm's way in defence of the realm & their fellow countrymen).  It would have taken a particular type of courage to put one's efforts & reputation behind such a massive long-term undertaking, the type of bravery that Dr Pleming showed in throwing himself behind the original daunting task. This would merely mark the Prince out as a pragmatist.

It's obvious that we all have different priorities.

Have a nice Christmas!
Chris

Offline scampton61

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 03:32:17 PM »
Perhaps Santa will be good enough to bring you a copy of the XH558 Farewell to Flight book, then you might begin to realise why lecturing me on what she represents, and what my priorities are, is so patronising and presumptive.

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 02:32:54 AM »
Perhaps Santa will be good enough to bring you a copy of the XH558 Farewell to Flight book, then you might begin to realise why lecturing me on what she represents, and what my priorities are, is so patronising and presumptive.

Sad that someone has seen fit to take down my earlier response, presumably under the premise I've used the 'b*m' word.
I'll be sure to pick up a copy of your Farewell to Flight pamphlet sometime.
Seeing as you've virtually been screaming in your subtext "Don't you know who I am!" I believe I do now know who you are.

I do find it somewhat ironic that someone organising & presumably leading courses in subjects such as coaching, mentoring, dealing with conflict, communication skills, etc. feels it acceptable to act in such a hectoring & boorish manner.

Anyway, I'm sure that one of your protectors will take this post down soon enough, (if they take your posts down at the same time then I'll have nothing to complain about).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:51:54 AM by Vulcanatic »
Chris

Offline scampton61

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »
I have nothing to do with any of the things you list, so you obviously don't have a clue who I am, but I can't teach you anything about hectoring, boorish or disrespectful behaviour, you're managing very well all by yourself.

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 10:37:15 AM »
I have nothing to do with any of the things you list, so you obviously don't have a clue who I am, but I can't teach you anything about hectoring, boorish or disrespectful behaviour, you're managing very well all by yourself.

Re. your "Don't you know who I am" rants, obviously then I do not, (nor do I much care).  Unlike yourself, I didn't pick this fight!
Chris

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 11:06:04 AM »
Here is a top tip for you.

Click on a posters profile. 

If it only has a join date it is probably because they have been here for a while and their profile has been through several re-incarnations and the original details have been lost.

I asked the moderator to remove your earlier post (yes specifically because you decided to abuse Mark online)

You say you are a Vulcan fanatic but you only managed to join a forum dedicated to the aircraft ten days before the aircraft was grounded...

£200m?  You really don't have a clue.  This would be a paperwork exercise, not a replica build from scratch.

Have a nice day.
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 11:32:23 AM »
Here is a top tip for you.

Click on a posters profile. 

If it only has a join date it is probably because they have been here for a while and their profile has been through several re-incarnations and the original details have been lost.

I asked the moderator to remove your earlier post (yes specifically because you decided to abuse Mark online)

You say you are a Vulcan fanatic but you only managed to join a forum dedicated to the aircraft ten days before the aircraft was grounded...

£200m?  You really don't have a clue.  This would be a paperwork exercise, not a replica build from scratch.

Have a nice day.

It seems that the Trolls have control of this asylum!
Chris

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 11:40:44 AM »
"I asked the moderator to remove your earlier post (yes specifically because you decided to abuse Mark online)"

On that basis most of the posts in this thread should be deleted.  Sad XH558 had to be retired, even sadder with threads like this.

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »
This article is bound to cause some controversy and because we are ALL rather keen and protective of our Vulcan it is bound to be something discussed on here. I have used the word discussed here not argued about.

Almost everything that the Trust and Club have done that has needed graphic design has been done by Mark (Scampton) and every single thing has been brilliantly designed from the Cook book and all the Trust books to the Club tee shirts. I am only adding this as Mark has never pushed himself forward as "do you know who I am" but it would be wrong to question his dedication. From us immense gratitude for all his hard work is due.

Can we play nicely now please? As we don't know much about this article and why it has been publish now, it may be best to wait to see if there is any more to come. I myself feel sceptical about it. In case my dedication (as Club Co-Chair) is called in to question, I would love to see 558 flying but I am also pragmatic and practical about it so doubt it will ever happen.

Keep it nice or we will close and delete the thread.

Happy Christmas all ;D

Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline Keith lawes

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile

Offline JeremyC

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 04:45:50 PM »
I'd desperately sad the Vulcan isn't flying any more (esp. as my three attempts to see it this year all failed) but I don't see how shifting the paperwork from one org. to another changes anything.

No engines and a structure that is too complicated for anybody to say it's safe.  Having seen a Hunter fly in to the ground this year I'm in no hurry to repeat the experience with an even bigger package.

That said, playing the "do you know who I am" card is always a mistake, better to walk away and retain your dignity.

Offline cat29457

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 06:58:04 PM »
The latest update from the Air Accident Investigation regarding the Shoreham Hawker Hunter crash has released an interim statement giving seven recommendations regarding vintage military jets so XH558 did retire at the right time!