Author Topic: Dunsfold Aerodrome future in doubt?  (Read 7887 times)

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Dunsfold Aerodrome future in doubt?
« on: January 07, 2016, 12:18:38 PM »
Hi all, saw this posted on my Facebook page so thought I'd add it here as I know quite a few of us forum'ers have enjoyed our time at Wings & Wheels over the years. Sad news if this goes ahead, I know a major development was turned down in 2009 but another application for a new town on the site has been registered, it would involve major demolition and removal of all 3 runways.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/dunsfold-park-plans-thousands-new-10687819

I wonder if Eddie has any views on this?

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Re: Dunsfold Aerodrome future in doubt?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »
Similar threat at Wellesbourne which would be a disaster for XM655 and its taxying, campaign to save it here http://www.xm655.com/news.php#WM

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:08:41 AM »
Sad times  :(
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Hedge

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 09:06:32 AM »
What happens to the aircraft in these situations do they just get scrapped? 655 at Wellesbourne, 747 and VC10 at Dunsfold. :(

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:41:30 AM »
What happens to the aircraft in these situations do they just get scrapped? 655 at Wellesbourne, 747 and VC10 at Dunsfold. :(
No idea, and apologies for the duplicate topics...it appears my lappy had a meltdown and posted it twice!

Anyhow, soon I will have an insider who might be able to pass on some info, my eldest Daughter will soon be working at Dunsfold for the Wings & Wheels team as a Media and PR assistant, she will be living on site!

Offline Joseph

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »

That is the obvious answer especially as the cost of dismantling and moving these large aircraft will be exorbitant. You then have the other problem who would like them and who has got the space to house them.  Lets hope that common sense prevails over greed Personal wealth.
Home every night! no more overnights in strange beds

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 05:02:42 PM »
.......my eldest Daughter will soon be working at Dunsfold for the Wings & Wheels team as a Media and PR assistant, she will be living on site!

I'm sure there is plenty of room on the 747!
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 07:43:38 PM »
.......my eldest Daughter will soon be working at Dunsfold for the Wings & Wheels team as a Media and PR assistant, she will be living on site!

Former Top Gear Sets are also clear! lol

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline Rover3500

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 04:12:47 PM »
This is inevitable if the UK votes to  stay in the European Union and accepts  300,000 + net migration every year. The pressure to develop open spaces  is only going to increase.

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 06:51:16 PM »
I don't mind that so long as the developed "open space" is France!

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 03:57:29 PM »

We dropped her off Saturday, it's very nice inside but can only be described as a corrugated iron storage bin from the outside!

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 09:42:46 PM »
What? the accommodation or the 747?

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 08:37:34 AM »
Similar threat at Wellesbourne which would be a disaster for XM655 and its taxying, campaign to save it here http://www.xm655.com/news.php#WM

Load of rubbish apparently, judging by this purporting to be from 655 themselves:

"Avro Vulcan XM655 Official Site
11 January at 13:02 ·
You may have read scare stories in the local press regarding the closure of Wellesbourne Airfield and eviction of the tenants. We can re-assure you that 655MaPS have not received an eviction notice, nor do we expect one. No planning application has been submitted for development of the site, and the local council have made it clear that they wish to encourage further development as an active airfield. Whilst we cannot rule out the possibility the airfield may eventually close, we expect to be able to continue with our present activities for many years to come."

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 10:15:54 AM »
What? the accommodation or the 747?
;D The accommodation!

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »
Similar threat at Wellesbourne which would be a disaster for XM655 and its taxying, campaign to save it here

Load of rubbish apparently, judging by this purporting to be from 655 themselves:

"Avro Vulcan XM655 Official Site
11 January at 13:02 ·
You may have read scare stories in the local press regarding the closure of Wellesbourne Airfield and eviction of the tenants. We can re-assure you that 655MaPS have not received an eviction notice, nor do we expect one. No planning application has been submitted for development of the site, and the local council have made it clear that they wish to encourage further development as an active airfield. Whilst we cannot rule out the possibility the airfield may eventually close, we expect to be able to continue with our present activities for many years to come."

That is very encouraging, very.