Author Topic: Dunsfold Aerodrome future in doubt?  (Read 3268 times)

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Dunsfold Aerodrome future in doubt?
« on: January 07, 2016, 12:20:39 PM »
Hi all, saw this posted on my Facebook page so thought I'd add it here as I know quite a few of us forum'ers have enjoyed our time at Wings & Wheels over the years. Sad news if this goes ahead, I know a major development was turned down in 2009 but another application for a new town on the site has been registered, it would involve major demolition and removal of all 3 runways.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/dunsfold-park-plans-thousands-new-10687819

I wonder if Eddie has any views on this?

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Re: Dunsfold Aerodrome future in doubt?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »
Similar threat at Wellesbourne which would be a disaster for XM655 and its taxying, campaign to save it here http://www.xm655.com/news.php#WM

Offline Joseph

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 05:16:31 PM »
These and many more airfields are seen as fair game by developers especially as they fit in with the governments "Brown Field Site" vision. However it does not mean they are right. Off course the developer is only part of the picture in a lot of cases the land owner sees £ signs and dreams of this as their lottery win without buying a weekly ticket.

In the case of Wellsbourne the situation has not been helped by the new business park to the east? and the fact that down the road to the west houses are I think quite expensive due to the historical nature of the town. The quoted figure of 1600 house will be reduced to get the plans through. Once consent is granted the number of starter homes usually get reduced as A. the builder wants more £s and B. the buyers of the expensive homes don't want shared owner / starter homes next to them.

The builders and landowners don't loose any sleep over the job losses they create or the history that they destroy
Home every night! no more overnights in strange beds

Offline paulh

• Club Member
  • phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:47:23 PM »
Just read this on FighterControl - apparently taken off XM655 Facebook page today!!

"I'm afraid i write to all of you today with some saddening news. According to the Stratford upon Avon Herald, the owners of Wellesbourne Mountford airfield have served what amount to eviction notices on all occupants/business owners at the airfield as of this morning. This leaves the future of XM655 in serious doubt and trouble as it would seem some form of deal between the proposed housing developers and airfield owners has been made. Whilst I understand that no planning permission has been given for any development yet, it would seem likely that if the airfield was in an unoccupied/vacant position it would be easier to gain permission. I cannot give any more information as I don't know anything more. As soon as XM655 MaPS release some form of statement, or there is a further press update I will again write on here."

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:13:06 AM »
This is not good news but sadly inevitable.

After all the criticism we should all be thankful that XH558 is sited at a live airport with quite solid plans for the future.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 12:40:13 PM »
From Wellesbourne Matters today:

"The welcome news is that in Stratford upon Avon Council’s draft Core Strategy, Wellesbourne Mountford Aerodrome has been adopted to be retained maintained and enhanced over the period. This means that the situation regarding the future of Wellesbourne as an airfield is looking far more positive, but we must not become complacent as there is still much to do."

There is a Stratford Council website where one can post comments in support of retaining the airfield, which Wellesbourne Matters hopes people will show their support http://tinyurl.com/jmkr7wu

It's a little confusing, it appears to be asking for comments on changes to the Core Strategy document, but if you go past the page that asks if there are any errors, post there.