Author Topic: Future Airshow Restrictions  (Read 17760 times)

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Future Airshow Restrictions
« on: April 14, 2016, 08:00:13 AM »
The sad circumstances of Shoreham was followed by the CAA investigation culminating in the announcement now of the new restrictions. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-36038793

Severe restrictions still placed on aircraft performances even though the outcome, fairly obviously, shows that the maintenance of vintage jets was not the cause.

Display and crowd lines now redrawn, it will be interesting to see if the shows still retain the wow factor, and if shows such as Flying Legends are still able to put on that "three tier" display set up.

I will say no more.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Future Airshow Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 08:05:01 AM »
This makes me think maybe such Campsites as Totterdown we always go to for RIAT might have to close? The aircraft perform right above our heads!!
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline JeremyC

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:38:07 AM »
This smacks of "nobody is obeying the 30mph speed limit, we'll drop it to 20mph".

Surely the problem was non observance of rules not the rules being wrong.

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:00:26 AM »
Surely the problem was non observance of rules not the rules being wrong.

Exactly.  And exactly the same as he did at Southport the previous year and was told to stop displaying.  In the light of that I suppose we are lucky they can still display at all, since no change in the rules will guarantee it can't happen again.

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 06:53:36 PM »
Crowd lines moved and display heights heightened.... at this rate you will soon need binoculars to watch air shows with. I wonder what effect this will have at seaside air shows with a 1,000+ or so boats in the vicinity ?
Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »
Apparently 'over the sea' shows won't change.

However no matter how far away they move the shows it will be rare for them not to be over people or houses or something. There has always been an element of danger in airshows which we have all accepted by going there. Its a shame that this one accident has changed what for 6 million people every year has always been a great day out.

The rules were there and if they weren't being obeyed then that was an individuals choice not something that everybody was doing. I don't think that most pilots and engineers would ever knowingly or willingly put their aircraft, their own and anyone else's lives at risk.

Its a very sad situation.
From someone who has been going regularly to airshows since the early 1970's  :(
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 12:21:15 PM »
Apparently Rhymes isn't opening this year!

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 07:02:59 AM »
Apparently Rhymes isn't opening this year!

I certainly don't think that this will be the last site to have to change their plans.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 06:33:43 PM »
Meffinks this will be Totterdowns final year of naughty field viewing too.

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 09:49:06 AM »
Best place for a truly safe airshow would be outside the old 30 mile exclusion zone around the coast!!!!!! >:D ::) :D

Lets face it. Wherever aircraft display they will be over someone and somewhere! The rules weren't applied and when things went wrong; there was an accident. It was tragic but accidents are just that. Accidental. There are so many what ifs but an accident is a series of incidents that each by themselves wouldn't amount to anything but put together cause an accident. Likely hood of anything happening again?? Well what are the odds?? Next airshow?? another 60 years??? Who knows but denying many millions of people this great day out? Tighten the rules and make sure that every aircraft and pilot is applying them and then its more likely to be never again (or at least another 60 years).
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »
... there was an accident. It was tragic but accidents are just that. Accidental.

Not so sure about that.  'Accident' implies no one was to blame, it's why the Police use the term 'Road Traffic Collision' now instead of 'Road Traffic Accident'.  And it was way beyond tragic.

Shoreham so far it seems to have been caused by pilot error, and what's more an almost identical error to that committed by the same pilot at Southport the previous year in a different aircraft.  He got away with it that time, but was ordered to suspend the display immediately.

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 03:43:40 PM »
... there was an accident. It was tragic but accidents are just that. Accidental.

Not so sure about that.  'Accident' implies no one was to blame, it's why the Police use the term 'Road Traffic Collision' now instead of 'Road Traffic Accident'.  And it was way beyond tragic.

Shoreham so far it seems to have been caused by pilot error, and what's more an almost identical error to that committed by the same pilot at Southport the previous year in a different aircraft.  He got away with it that time, but was ordered to suspend the display immediately.
Sadly, and as much as I hate to admit it, I think you are right. This was avoidable, the lack of response from the pilot (at least publicly) is telling I think. After all the checks seem to confirm that there was nothing wrong with the aircraft or engine, it does assume pilot error was a factor, which is something none of us in the airshow community could even comprehend, let alone the pilot himself.

Offline Tutorboy

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 05:12:30 PM »
Let's not be too hasty folks.  You may well be right but pre-judging it is a bit too much like that other place we don't much like.  After all, guess we all enjoyed Andy at his best on this occasion

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »
Best place for a truly safe airshow would be outside the old 30 mile exclusion zone around the coast!!!!!! >:D ::) :D

now, now Jane, that would mean the Eastbourne show being over France - do we really want to pamper the French that much, such a shame the Vulcan isn't around to show them a real display!

Just imagine, ferry across early morning, a bit of nice lunch and sitting on the beach at Boulogne with a bottle of red wine vulcan overhead - that's what I call a booze cruise.

and as well, it would be on the right side of the sun so they would get well lit photos, that is spoiling them ;D ;D ;D

andy
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 06:55:54 PM »
All seems very quiet on the Shoreham investigation front.

Last I read was that the ejector seat maintenance was very suspect. Police and crash investigators were still waiting to interview him about the tragedy.

On another note.... a recent major cliff slide at Bournemouth is slightly worrying too. It almost took out the Jon Egging memorial on the cliff top. :(

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14474447.East_Overcliff_Drive_to_close__indefinitely__from_Friday_morning/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:58:21 PM by Pujgnie »