Author Topic: Future Airshow Restrictions  (Read 14897 times)

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
Re: Future Airshow Restrictions
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 09:38:47 PM »
http://throckmortonairshow.co.uk/2016/06/08/throckmorton-air-show-cancelled/

I knew a chap who was to help out there and he, and his family are very upset. CAA are not making any friends from all this.

Cheers for the Past Tense! lol
But Yes, a lot of heartbreak and swearing at Throckmorton

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline cat29457

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »
By the same token I would then assume that Bruntingthorpe is also likely to be similarly affected. That would be a great shame. Also concur on the Gaydon comment above. A very expensive birthday present for me from my beloved and the end result of being best part of a mile away and looking directly into the sun was the worst bit of vulcan photography I've ever done in my whole life, perhaps I should have just put the camera down and photographed it in my mind. Good old CAA!

Oh yes! A very long way to travel to catch glimpses through half closed eyes due to the sun and distance from all of us. A tad disappointing.

Offline Howwwwl

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 08:08:27 PM »
'Testing'.... Understatement of the year. Did you notice how few seconds Planes TV have ever used of the footage taken at Gaydon? About 3 seconds is all I've ever seen anywhere, and they had the same privileged "highly expensive" place on the roof of the motor museum that I was supposed to have. To be fair to the Motor Museum they were up front about the CAA enforced changes so I had the choice to move out onto the grass embankment, which I did given what would otherwise have been a severely restricted view due to the brick wall, but all you saw was a silouette between the squinting. A pity - but understandable- that JLR were so twitchy about cameras/phones on the airfield. Planes TV should have been allowed a spot on the south west side of the airfield. JLR could have viewed and approved their footage before it was removed from site just to make sure no sneaky filming of any new prototypes had taken place. What ever happened to a bit of trust occasionally?

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »
Even Wellesbourne fast-taxi had restrictions with the crowd being further back than normal.

How much further back ? last time I was there you were already a good distance from the active runway

Each time I have been there we were right at the fence, which is not much more than half the runway width from the edge of the runway, as indicated in the attached.

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 04:06:07 PM »
Even Wellesbourne fast-taxi had restrictions with the crowd being further back than normal.

How much further back ? last time I was there you were already a good distance from the active runway

Each time I have been there we were right at the fence, which is not much more than half the runway width from the edge of the runway, as indicated in the attached.

So, to ask the question raised by Your First Post .. how much further back were you ?

@funtera
HATO

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 09:12:26 AM »

So, to ask the question raised by Your First Post .. how much further back were you ?

"Each time I have been there we were right at the fence ..."

In other words, I wasn't there this year.  I was responding to "last time I was there you were already a good distance from the active runway". 

Their Facebook page has a video https://www.facebook.com/bradley.rogers.526/videos/10208188124639637/

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 03:34:23 PM »
Aah right, Your Post sounded like You were there ..
But yes, looking at that Video .. that's a shame! especially as it isn't Flying

@funtera
HATO

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 04:24:52 PM »
But at least at Wellesbourne, the public, VTTS and MaPS members did get to see a "live and kicking" Vulcan...........?

Offline Tutorboy

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 04:48:50 PM »
Regarding Gaydon, to be fair to the guys who did it last year and JLR, when I flew it with Kev and Phil on the Cold War Jets Tour ( what a fun day that was!) rules were obviously different.  But more than that, people were everywhere - not what we had been led to expect.  Therefore we ended up closer than I would have been if I had known.  I had to change the axis of the display when I realised.  Hope that explains things a bit.

Bill

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
Regarding Gaydon, to be fair to the guys who did it last year and JLR, when I flew it with Kev and Phil on the Cold War Jets Tour ( what a fun day that was!) rules were obviously different.  But more than that, people were everywhere - not what we had been led to expect.  Therefore we ended up closer than I would have been if I had known.  I had to change the axis of the display when I realised.  Hope that explains things a bit.

Bill

Many thanks for the explanation Bill; I suppose I can say I was there, though there wasn't much opportunity to have long lasting proof that I was.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2016, 03:03:53 PM »
...  But more than that, people were everywhere - not what we had been led to expect.  Therefore we ended up closer than I would have been if I had known.  I had to change the axis of the display when I realised...

Well, as someone who was there I have to say that 558 passed very close to the beacon mound several times, which is surely where those involved in the organisation must have expected the majority of people to be, who as far as I know were all pre-booked.  At one point from my pictures 558 crossed directly over JLR if not the museum itself.  Just saying.  It was a brilliant display, and watching a YouTube again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7UXV3hB0QE&feature=youtu.be just makes me so sad we shall never see the like again, that and Fairford 2015!!

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2016, 08:33:50 AM »

Well, as someone who was there I have to say that 558 passed very close to the beacon mound several times, which is surely where those involved in the organisation must have expected the majority of people to be, who as far as I know were all pre-booked.  At one point from my pictures 558 crossed directly over JLR if not the museum itself.  Just saying.   just makes me so sad we shall never see the like again, that and Fairford 2015!!

Interesting..................I think the video is from the Cold War Tour and not the final appearance at Gaydon.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:01:46 AM by planenut »
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2016, 10:25:26 AM »

Interesting..................I think the video is from the Cold War Tour and not the final appearance at Gaydon.

Precisely, the display Bill said he flew.  The whole point of that video was to show how much closer 558 was on the Cold War Tour than the Final Displays Tour, which is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ubaobjBIY