Author Topic: Sherwood Ranger Build a plane project  (Read 6908 times)

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Sherwood Ranger Build a plane project
« on: June 15, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »
If you have visited hangar 3 at Doncaster over the last year or so you may have noticed a small biplane taking shape in the shadow of 558's wings.

The aircraft is a Sherwood Ranger kit which is being assembled by a group of school students from Goole High School.

It has been interesting to watch the plane take shape and it's great that they are now very close to completion.

This last weekend they managed to get the aircraft outside for the first set of engine runs.

There was a nice little feature in this Tuesdays news letter about the project.

https://mxm.mxmfb.com/rsps/m/gOC4_KKPoCEh00Qw-pRC2zzoScgKivlAoha41hTp7LQ

In the article there is a link to the Light Aircraft Company (TLAC) website.  TLAC are the company which manufactures the kit in Little Snoring in Norfolk.

http://www.g-tlac.com/ranger_st.html

As well as the feature on the Spirit of Goole there is a very nice article entitled "valuable donation sparks work on Spirit of Doncaster"  I am very excited about this as the spirit of Doncaster is one of my projects.  I have a group of students from Doncaster college and once we get through a small forest of paperwork we will have groups of Cadets from local ATC squadrons.  Together they will be building another Ranger kit which once they have completed it they will fly in and if they desire they will learn to fly themselves.

The students who have been involved so far are loving getting involved and as you would imagine the biggest inspiration is 558 in the background.

As the project progresses I will post updates on here to keep you informed.  There will also be regular updates on the Ranger in the news letter.

In the article there is the inevitable appeal for funding, the Ranger is self funding with no money being diverted from the Vulcan or Canberra.  Nothing in aviation is cheap but if you look at this as sponsoring the future of our hobby then I think it would be money well spent. 

The shares start at £10 and money donated to the Ranger goes directly into paying for the kit and tooling.

http://www.vulcantotheskystore.co.uk/the-spirit-of-doncaster---build-a-plane-2559-p.asp

I am really looking forward to being involved with this and seeing the students and cadets getting as much out of aviation as I have.  This is the start of something big  ;D

I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Sherwood Ranger Build a plane project
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:44:58 AM »
Well 51 people have have read my previous post but no one has replied so I guess I'll just talk to myself.

Since Distinction training made their generous donation we have now actually been able to start work on the Ranger kit.

We've had a good start on the funding appeal which is very encouraging.

I have been kept well busy writing the inevitable Health and safety risk assessments and working procedures (well the not so much writing, more cut and pasting)

The students have made good progress with the wing kit.  More on where the kit has come from in the near future. 

So far we have one set of wing ribs under construction, they will be complete by the end of this week.

The next stage is to build a jig to assemble the first wing.  A second wing will be built by the Air Cadets once their risk assessments have been signed off by the wing headquarters to allow two wings to be built simultaneously.

The wing spars have been spray painted by Steve Hand (I could have got the students to paint them but why have a dog and...)

The students will be getting stuck in to some painting themselves as all of the fittings which mount the wings onto the fuselage will need to be painted (small parts are a lot less messy)

Once the jig is built and the fittings have been attached to the spars there will be some very visible progress with the first wing ;D

I've been taking pictures of the students at work, which is part of the aircraft build record.  If I can work out how to post on here I'll put some on so you can see where your money is going.

The college will be on break soon but the students have said they will come in over the summer so I think we'll make some good progress over the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:47:48 AM by Sad Sam »

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:56:31 AM »
Sam, I want to congratulate You on being involved with this Project which certainly will Inspire Future Engineers and Interest in flight .. I wish You all the best luck for the future of this and look forward to reading the updates and seeing Your "Little" Lady Fly

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline Jimlad

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »
Well Done Sam.
 :)

Offline JACKB

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 07:28:52 PM »
Having been involved with the project I would like to add to Sam's comments and say what a great experience that I have had so far and I thoroughly look forward to working on it though the summer learning new skills gaining knowledge off of Sam and Ray that have helped me with my studies at college,
I hope to continue with the project over the next few years whilst I gain my level 3 qualification in engineering at the college and put all the theory side of the course into a practical application working on the Ranger.

cheers
Jack

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:33:46 PM by JACKB »

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 07:30:16 PM »
Good for You Jack and Good Luck

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 08:27:06 AM »
Ive seen Sam getting on with the project and popped a donation online towards it..Well done Sam!!
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
Thank you Dee, your valuable support (and the cakes) are much appreciated  ;D.

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
Bumped again.

There should be an update in the news letter this Friday.

Offline JACKB

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »
Evening all,

progress update with the ranger. All is going well and we have one wing well under construction and that actually looks like a wing now rather than lots of components photos not best quality as they were from my phone

cheers
jack

Offline steve w

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 08:54:26 PM »
And this does not do justice to the amount of work done already, but as Jack says tangible progress. Spread the word Sam and the team need pennies to enable this great project to continue...

Yes, I know, more pennies, but what else would you do with them apart from squander them on food, mortgages, and general living...

Seriously this is a great project and I wish there was something like this when I was a lad (mind you that was pre-Wright brothers...)

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 05:19:22 AM »
Thank you Jack and Steve.

I'm really enjoying looking after this project.  Progress has been a little slow in terms of calendar days, nearly two months physical build time but given the actual time the students have spent working on the wing this progress represents only eight working days and so is well on target.

Thanks for the pictures Jack. 

If anyone is wondering the first picture shows the main spar fitting inserted into the spar and held inplace with "Cleco pins".  The fitting consists of a 6mm thick alloy plate which is supplied cnc machined from a plate and four angled brackets.  The plate was cut out by Oliver and Joshua last week.  They then filled the edges to remove the machine burrs and drilled the brackets out from 3.2mm to 4.9mm to accept the six bolts.  Jack then had to cut a 7mm wide slot in the top of the spar to allow the fitting to go in (as can be seen in Jacks second picture) and drilled the 16 holes that hold the fitting into the spar.

Yesterday Jack then removed the fitting from the spar, deburred the holes, wet assembled the angled brackets to the plate with jointing compound, bolted the brackets to the plate with six 3/8" nuts and bolts and riveted the fitting into the spar with sixteen 3/16" tucker pop rivets.

The wing that is under construction is the right hand lower wing so the part of the fitting that sticks out from the top of the spar will be the attachment for the right wing flying wires.  In Jacks second picture you can see how the spar fitting is held into the jig with a temporary 3/8" bolt, the Ranger is designed so the wings can be folded back for storage (you could keep the completed aircraft in your garage at home) once the wing is fitted the temporary bolt is replaced by a removable pin.  If I need to empathise the need for high quality of work all I need to do is point out to the students that when the aircraft is flying the whole weight of the aircraft (and them) will be supported by this fitting!

In Jacks third picture you can see the spar has been fitted to the jig (built by the students), the ribs have been fitted onto the spar and Jack has started to fit the drag spar to the ribs.  There is a fair bit of work involved in fitting the drag spar, you can probably guess which hole in rib 5 will need to be sanded out to allow the drag spar to meet the main spar, Jack spent yesterday afternoon sanding the holes in ribs 1, 2, 3 and 4 to get the spar as far as it is in the picture.

Once the drag spar is fully home the students will manufacture another fitting for the inboard end of the spar.  This will carry the hinge point of the folded wing and the drag loads of the aircraft when it is flying.

As Steve says this project does need some pennies thrown at it (not as much as 558 and 163, but the Ranger is part of the same team) it is encouraging to see the enthusiasm for the project building up in the students as the kit takes shape.  So far as well as building the wing the students have been introduced to 558, some have helped out with preparation for the anti-det runs and also been shown around the Global Express by the visiting engineer (who was kind enough to explain how he got to be where he is today, which is probably far more inspirational than anything I've told them) so their introduction to the world of aviation is well under way.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:26:45 AM by Sad Sam »

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 03:28:28 PM »
Had a nice look around their factory in Little Snoring the other month, great bunch, they have asked if i want to fundraise for the aircraft based in Norwich when the new academy opens. We shall see.

Offline steve w

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 07:55:05 PM »
Just a quick reply to "bump" this back up the list, spread the word guys Sam and the kids need funding for this great project. If the funding does not come through they will not be able to progress the project and that would be a wicked shame. I was in the hangar today and the progress is there to see and what better way to inspire some youngsters - you build it - you fly it!

£5 buys you a pint and a half of ale (well it does oop north), or a large fancy coffee, help your alcohol and caffeine habits and send it to Sam and the young aviation professionals of the future.

Just sayin'.

Offline steve w

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 07:56:04 PM »
P.S. It also makes Sam smile....! ;D