Author Topic: Sherwood Ranger Build a plane project  (Read 8893 times)

Offline JACKB

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Sherwood Ranger Build a plane project
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 08:02:53 PM »
Evening all,

just two photos from a very productive day that made a lot more visible progress the first photos shows the bracket that was manufactured on the drag spar and the second photo shows the whole wing with all the ribs clamped in place (sure Sam will post a comment with a more elaborate definition than mine) all this work is leading up to tomorrow when things will get a bit more permanent when we fibreglass the ribs to the main spar and the drag spar . Anyway here are the photos;

cheers
Jack

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:05:29 PM by JACKB »

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 08:19:26 PM »
Nice to see how things are progressing.
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 11:44:58 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures Jack.

The ribs have now been clamped to the jig and the affect is quite stunning as the assembly is now looking like a wing.

Tomorrow we will check the ribs are square to the spars, are in the correct position according to the drawings and that we have correct amount of "washout" in the wing. We will have to make sure the wing does not move in the jig as we progress.

Things will then start to get a lot more permanent when the students start to attach the ribs to the spars using fibreglass collars and resin.

Once the collars have been attached we will fit the trailing and leading edges before we remove the wing from the jig and start again.

Very nice feature on the one show tonight featuring the spirit Goole, well done Jack and the team  ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:47:24 PM by Sad Sam »
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 09:27:30 AM »
Very nice feature on the one show tonight featuring the spirit Goole, well done Jack and the team  ;D

I also saw the Article (No Volume but Subs on) .. my Boss was stunned when He spotted 558 in the Background! lol ..

Well done to You ALL .

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »
Just finished my latest masterpiece and sent off to Ian Homer for inclusion in the latest news letter.

Great progress over the last couple of days  ;D

The right lower mainplane now looks like a wing and the ribs (bar one) are now glued onto the spars.

Jack and Oliver have been hard at it and are both justifiably pleased with their efforts.

Jacks tutor came in today to discuss bringing some more students onto the project as two of the original six have managed to secure full time apprenticeships on the back of their involvement with the Ranger project  ;D

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:35:40 PM by Sad Sam »

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 10:34:44 PM »
Every so often I go over to the "UKARSE" forum to see what sort of rubbish they are writing about us on the long running 3rd version of the Vulcan XH558 thread.

It's amazing they seem hate us so much but they have had three versions of the thread (and this version has reached 142 pages despite only running for 18 months) but they just don't seem to be able to help themselves.

The latest bone they are chewing over is the arrival of the Swift.  Are they impressed that this unique record breaking airframe will be on public display?  No, they have decided that the spirit of Goole has been evicted from the hangar to make way for the Swift!

The latest post by Dan O Hating

Re: Vulcan XH558: The Next Chapter
Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 12:12 pm

WG655 wrote:
The Spirit of Goole project (G-TSOG, built up by youngsters in H3) announced on their Facebook page last month that they are desperately looking for a new home as VTST are no longer able to accommodate them.

As lovely an exhibit as the Swift is, it seems a shame to me that space could not be found for such a project given its work inspiring the young.

Wow. No surprise this was missed off the "news" letters.

Still, a couple of 60 year old non-flying hulks crammed into a little shed in a corner of Doncaster will do all the inspiring the young VTTS need, I'm sure.

Please give generously, folks.

For the record The Spirit of Goole has lived rent free in the hangar for the last two years (they were originally only coming in for a short period while they sorted out some permanent accommodation.  They do now have somewhere to operate from and what they are looking for now is some workshop space to sort out their chevron motor gliders.

It is obviously beneath the massive brains in UKARSE towers to look or even ask what we are doing in Doncaster.  I know that Dan O Hating was offered an interview with Dr. Plemming but he was too busy talking about football so he could not make it (For the last six months?)

Just in case anyone does wonder the trusts own build a plane project is still going on.  I have 30 air cadets and students who are actively involved.  we now have three wings and a fuselage in build, have raised just over £6,000 to pay for parts of the kit and are well on the way to flying late next year.  As well as building the Ranger kit the students have changed wheels and brake units on the Vulcan, helped with anti det runs and services, they have helped with the Canberra and will be helping with work we have been asked to carry out on the Swift.

We do still need money to pay for the kit so one part of Danos post is accurate "please give generously folks"

Rant over

I did have a picture of the cadets working on the project but the file is too large.  Sorry, come along and see for yourselves what is going on in the hangar.

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 10:02:22 AM »
Will pop up Thursday for coffee and pop a donation in the box.
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 11:43:15 AM »
Thanks Dee,

I'm afraid I'll miss you again as I'll be out and about trying to recover stuff that has been lent and not returned.

Offline Rushy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rushy.net/
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 12:41:32 PM »
What address do we send the Jaffa Cakes to now that you've moved?
--

Whoda thunk it?

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 09:51:37 PM »
We'll leave a forwarding address at the hangar 3 reception....