Author Topic: Vulcan in Canada  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Tommarkert

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Vulcan in Canada
« on: June 19, 2016, 01:54:02 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this inquiry, but here goes...

I was a youngster in the mid 1970's when my family traveled to Toronto, Ontario Canada to visit the Canadian National Exposition. They had an airshow which featured a Vulcan Bomber flyover on the waterfront. It was amazing to see such a large plane flying so low and slow over Lake Ontario.

I recall the bomber had a white underside and the camouflaged topside. My quest is to find out which Vulcan in particular was the plane I saw that day. The year was 1975, I believe.

Any leads or answers would be truly appreciated!

Regards,

Tom

Offline scampton61

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.underthefloor.co.uk
Re: Vulcan in Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »
Hi Tom, Craig Bulman's book 'The Vulcan B.Mk2 From A Different Angle (2nd edition)' has a section on air shows attended by Vulcans. Not a complete list (as the author acknowledges), but it has some records of Canadian displays. As your airshow was at the National Exposition that would put it in mid Aug/early Sept. There isn't anything listed for 1975, but there are the following 1970's references for Toronto:
1972, 1-3 Sept, XM575 of 617 Sqn
1979, Aug (no exact date) XL317 of 617 Sqn.
There was however a Vulcan in Canada at around the right time in 1975, XL392 of 617 Sqn displayed at Abbotsford (near Vancouver) on 8-10 Aug. Guess it's possible that aircraft might also have gone to Toronto. Good luck with your search, I'm sure Craig would be interested if you find anything definitive.

Offline Tommarkert

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Vulcan in Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »
Thank you for the informative reply. I am starting to think 1972 may have been the year. I am working on narrowing down the years as it was so long ago and I was just a kid. Your information has help jar some memories loose in my quest to find the particular plane that I saw.

I know it wasn't the later date of 1979, but the earlier years are a definite posibility. The window has been narrowed nicely.

Thanks again,

Tom