Author Topic: Sad news from Shackleton WR963  (Read 5043 times)

Offline scampton61

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.underthefloor.co.uk
Sad news from Shackleton WR963
« on: August 30, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »
Some of you may have seen the Facebook announcement a few days ago that all events relating to Shackleton WR963 at Coventry were cancelled until further notice. Seems that behind the scenes things were going downhill rapidly and the owner had to cancel all insurances on the aircraft to protect himself from liabilities the actions of some were apparently exposing him to. Full statement here, makes very sad reading:
https://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton/posts/1857763107785440

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: Sad news from Shackleton WR963
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
Some of you may have seen the Facebook announcement a few days ago that all events relating to Shackleton WR963 at Coventry were cancelled until further notice. Seems that behind the scenes things were going downhill rapidly and the owner had to cancel all insurances on the aircraft to protect himself from liabilities the actions of some were apparently exposing him to. Full statement here, makes very sad reading:
https://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton/posts/1857763107785440
Indeed, went away camping to Dunsfold W&W where the FB access is at best limited only to be told by my Brother who came up Sunday of all the goings on. Very sad to hear and seems that the SPT group do not own the Shack but Dave Woods does, and things were going on without his knowledge. I guess it is situations like these when you realise just what a great job all those behind getting XH558 back in the air and flying did. Let's hope it can all be resolved for the best, seeing WR963 on her taxi run last year at the Coventry Farewell to Flight day was fantastic, especially as myself and youngest had already walked through her on a tour.

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 07:48:13 PM »
It is sad that things have become embroiled in such a fashion, and gives little encouragement to those who have already given so much in their time and cash to support the project; let's hope this can be overcome.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Rushy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rushy.net/
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 08:12:45 PM »
So very sad.
--

Whoda thunk it?

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 02:52:34 PM »
That's awful, it seems the classic aircraft world is collapsing in a heap for more than one reason.  I was at Coventry for the Vulcan event and it was a great thrill to have all the engines thundering away so close to the fence.

On a slightly brighter note, Little Gransden was a good day on Sunday, despite the no-show of the Lancaster (sick - again).  But we had the Sally B who gave an excellent display, as did the Spitfire and Hurricane, classic jets were represented by a Gnat, plus many other displays.  On a sadder note the superb formation aerobatic display by the piloted Extra 300 (I think) and a 40% model was marred when the model caught fire, broke up and came down in flames.  Landed on the grass strip but fortunately clear of parked aircraft.   One lady spectator burst into tears saying "Oh, the poor pilot will never survive that ...".

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 06:04:43 PM »
That's awful, it seems the classic aircraft world is collapsing in a heap for more than one reason.  I was at Coventry for the Vulcan event and it was a great thrill to have all the engines thundering away so close to the fence.

On a slightly brighter note, Little Gransden was a good day on Sunday, despite the no-show of the Lancaster (sick - again).  But we had the Sally B who gave an excellent display, as did the Spitfire and Hurricane, classic jets were represented by a Gnat, plus many other displays.  On a sadder note the superb formation aerobatic display by the piloted Extra 300 (I think) and a 40% model was marred when the model caught fire, broke up and came down in flames.  Landed on the grass strip but fortunately clear of parked aircraft.   One lady spectator burst into tears saying "Oh, the poor pilot will never survive that ...".

She was right then.

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 05:45:33 AM »

She was right then.

No, she was wrong as the pilot was stood on the ground watching his pride and joy crash and burn....
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 08:53:07 AM »

No, she was wrong as the pilot was stood on the ground watching his pride and joy crash and burn....

but nobody got out of it!

Offline Paddy Langdown

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 03:59:34 PM »

An evil thought has entered my head! What would it cost to buy the Shackleton? >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline TimS

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »
Things are moving again now, thankfully, judging from public statements. The aircraft's safe.

Offline ADI

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 09:34:22 PM »
Thats good news, Thanks Tim.  ;)

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 10:28:00 PM »
Let's hope that the good news continues.

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 09:08:40 AM »