FAQ / Contact

Author Topic: Engineering insights  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Engineering insights
« on: November 15, 2016, 03:50:09 PM »
Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone ever looks on here any more but I'll give this a try anyway.

Ray, Taff and I are giving a series of talks in the hangar about how we have looked after 558.

I can't really talk for Taff and Ray but I'm going for a bit of self promotion here.

I have three talks prepared one on structures, one on the undercarriage and one on flying controls.

The talks last about two hours and take the form of a powerpoint and film show.

Lots of detail about what was involved with rectifying some well known faults on 558 over the last seven years and how I came to be involved.

The talk includes lunch and a guided tour afterwards when hopefully I'll be able to put the talk into context.

There was a time when a day with Taff, Ray or myself would have been sold out in a shot.  I don't know if there is a lack of interest in the engineering now or if people have just missed the link on the web page but we don't seem to have many takers (no-one wants to listen to Ray talk about his engines tomorrow)

We are getting lonely up here, come along and listen to what is involved with looking after a v bomber.

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/828/82/Engineering-Insights.html
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Engineering insights
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 04:10:38 PM »
Hi Sam, that sounds very interesting, and appears to be a good day. Personally for me, it's a long run to get to you and the beast.

I don't think we get too many regular visitors on this site any more.

Good luck with it Sam.

Fred (planenut)
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 05:43:48 PM »
Good luck Sam.

As Fred has already pointed out, distance is the key factor for us down this end of the country.
Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 11:10:55 PM »
My laptop is mobile.

If people like I can take the talks on the road (just won't be able to bring 558 or the lunch with me)

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 01:06:42 AM »
A few of us still regularly check the forum, but obviously not as many as before. My main reason for not visiting XH558 are due to distance, from down here in Pompey it's a good 4hr+ drive away so would really need a stop over at the hotel, perhaps if there was a roadshow then it 'may' garner more interest, could it be incorporated into airshows and shared with the the VV or whatever it's being called now? I think we have to be realistic here and understand that there is a major drop off in interest in her since the last flight, I guess it was always to be expected but with the recent news on the Hangar issue and 'secret' taxi runs then those who said this would be the case if it was located at Doncaster are possibly being proved right.

I've supported XH558 since before first flight, have roped in most of my family including my kids who have been helping out at various airshows in the VV, but am worried at what the future holds for her, I hope I'm wrong as I realise all the hard work that has gone into getting and keeping her flying for 8 seasons, sorry to ramble on but it's late!

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 08:59:41 AM »
I think it is to be expected in reality. 558 was the darling of airshows in the RAF but look at how long and how much effect it took to get Joe Public to show interest in her when it was always stated she could with the right support fly again.

We all know that barring a miracle 558 will never take to skies again now.

I hope you get your audience Sam I know how much work and effort goes into a presentation.

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »
Sad to hear, I spent most of a day with Ray earlier this year as a Vulcan Assistant, a great experience.

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »
Would absolutely love to Sam but work gets in the way  >:(

It's a shame more people aren't taking it up because all the engineers go above and beyond to make us 'little people' so welcome. 

Plus the insight they give to looking after 558 and being so close to the old girl makes for some very special memories indeed!  :)

Offline Mags

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 08:35:56 PM »
We'll get down to you at some point - probably next year now.

Offline CLIFFORD

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 12:54:23 PM »
I am coming up to see Taff on wed 30. its a very long trip and with petrol hotel etc. it can not be done very often.

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
Thank you for your support Cliff.

Hope you have a great time with Taff.

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 08:51:27 PM »
Hi Mayfly,

What's with "barring a miracle"?  Isn't the end the end?

It is sad that this forum has dwindled and, for me, a 30 minute trip to Wellesbourne is so much nearer than Finningley. This weekend XM655 will be partially alive [thanks to a hydraulic rig!!] and I'll be there as a MaPS member.

I do hope that more people will go to the insights sessions.

Kev