Author Topic: NEWS LETTER  (Read 18139 times)

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
Re: NEWS LETTER
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2017, 06:13:50 PM »
Hi Sam - this article has some artist's impressions but no actual drawings: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/index.php?mact=News,m023bb,default,1&m023bbdetailpage=82&m023bbnumber=6&m023bbpagenumber=1&m023bbreturnid=306&page=306

I think that is probably ETNA anyway as it looks quite different.

While I'm posting may I take the opportunity to say thank you for everything you have done fot '558, the club and also helping me personally when you arranged the visit for the winner (Andy Brown aka Hairrig) of my first photo competition back in 2011 - a day he, Tara and I remember well with fond memories.
I wish you every success for the future , very best wishes
Andy

(Oh, and thanks  for the various sickbags you acquired for me!)
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »
No worries.

To be honest I have had a ball.

For six years I have made my hobby my job.  I've met some great people, made some good friends and had some great times.   ;D

If I've not seemed happy sometimes I apologize but I will probably never be able to explain why...

I still stick by the strap line - "This has to be the best job in the world!"

Looks like I may need to get a proper job now (well in the next seven days)

So long - thanks for all the fish (Jaffa cakes)
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2017, 09:44:25 PM »
Did the news letter seriously include what looks like a child's drawing of the proposed new hangar?

UKARSE having a field day with our lack of professionalism.  http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67440&start=4925

What happened to the artist impression that was hanging around hangar 3 the week before last?

they love to start arguments and be-little one another (and anybody else they can pick on) on there, that's what I got fed up with and I stopped posting, especially after one of the main protaganists (or should that be antagonists) accused me of trolling and stalking - black pots and kettles etc.

Anyway back to the plot and there seems to be some confusion about what goes where, what size it is and so on (and which way round it goes on UKAR!). So this evening I've been doing some delving and trying to put together some illustrations which will hopefully clarify things for those in doubt.....

firstly from the  website pages (and also I believe) a recent newsletter this illustration showing what the temp hangar will look like:
Vision - new hangar by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

from studying the plan in the top right and the sketch in the newsletter last Friday I have worked out that the top left illustration is the view from the north i.e. looking  towards the airport terminal, the entrance it on the east side (runway side). In the bottom part of the picture the entrance is on the right hand end and the cafe,conference rooms etc run along the east side at first floor level - the illustration shows windows at 2 levels and the sketch shows stairs to the upper level. The windows will give views across to the northern runway threshold as well as across the airport sewage treatment plant (more of that later,after nearly 40 years in the industry it's a subject close to my heart)! So with the sliding doors at the south end of the building that is how 558 will be moved in and out. now the orientation of everything should be clearer (I hope!).

for those that wonder about the size, the building is 50m x 50m plus a bit on the end on the north east corner for the entrance, how do I know - it's on the drawing in the top right of the illustration above, there's a scale on that drawing but here it is in larger format and I measured the building against that:
new hangar site plan scaled by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

the drawing (when blown up a bit) also clearly shows the access into the site from the road to the other sewage treatment works, the one to the weat - that is owned and operated by Anglian Water (my former employers who by now after nearly 4 years may have finally realised that I have retired - I got no recognition of my departure whatsoever even after 38+ years service!). so there are in fact 2 sewage treatment works, one either side. I can assure you that the Anglian ones are well maintained and hardly ever smell and as for the airport one, although that treats the airport sewage it's biggest task is containing all the water run off from the airport hardstandings and treating it for all the cleansing and de-icing fluids etc before passing it into the balancing pond to the north of the building which controls it's flow into the receiving brooks. The plant is close to the building and it looks like an aeration type which are very efficient and create little odour which appears to be a concern on UKAR, the 2 big lagoons beyond that are 2 stages of purification with aeration (on google earth you can see the aerators) this ensures a very clean final effluent. so that's cleaned/cleared that one up!
Here's a link to the airport website page all about their water treatment processes: http://flydsa.co.uk/about-us/environment/water/

The layout overall can be seen here in a picture I made using google earth and overlaying the plan from the illustration:

new hangar overlay to google earth image by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

finally, some people still don't seem sure where all this is going to happen so here's a general location plan of the north west corner of the airfield, you can see the top 2 hangars (is the one on the right hangar 1?), the runway threshold and Hayfield Lane which leads to the site (and to the sewage treatment woks).

new hangar location by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

there we are sickbag-andy's guide to the temporary hangar, hope it helps as it took me quite a while to put it together but it might help slow down the rumour mills grinding away elsewhere and misleading a few of us on here.

Andy
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2017, 10:24:04 PM »
Good effort Andy, thanks for that.

Given that all this information is out there in the public domain I wonder why we decided to publish the sketch?

Perhaps Ian will be along to explain soon.

And no, once more I did not receive the newsletter again this week.

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »
I thought that building is the final home, Etna project, Vulcan Academy, home of 163, 558 and the other little one for the Trust, not the temp hangar, I thought the temp hangar was hangar 1 which they have until April. I guessed the next temp hangar would be a marquee of some description, until this on is built.

Thanks Andy great post

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2017, 08:02:15 AM »
I thought that building is the final home, Etna project, Vulcan Academy, home of 163, 558 and the other little one for the Trust, not the temp hangar, I thought the temp hangar was hangar 1 which they have until April. I guessed the next temp hangar would be a marquee of some description, until this on is built.

Thanks Andy great post

Hi Leslie, I took the images from here: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/xh558-s-survival.html

about 1/2 way down is a heading: Aircraft to be placed in storage while a new hangar is constructed and below that the images I used, I'm taking that to be the hanger discussed in the wording there:
During that time, the Trust hopes to conclude an agreement to build a new hangar at Doncaster Sheffield Airport, allowing resumption of tours, events, educational visits and engineering activities by the end of 2017. These businesses will then fund the lease of the hangar from the developers until the larger, more ambitious ETNA facility is ready.

Please don't say I've misread it and the images are the final ETNA, I'd seen quite different images for that here: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/history/post-flight.html  :-[

Andy
confacimus volatemum

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2017, 08:34:10 AM »
I have no idea now!!! The first impression of the Etna centre was a giant delta shape!!! Whatever they are trying to/are building it isn't going to be ready by April, at best if they start building now, they have plenty a labour and resource it might be open by next April, you could probably get the aircraft undercover by the end if this year.

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
I am sure when that first appeared you could click on the image and look at the drawings.  There was an overview which showed a lot of the stuff that is in the childs sketch.  When you click on the image now it takes you to the "just giving page"...

Not for me just now.

And I thought it was rather in the spirit of another preliminary sketch ...

If you read the newsletters you will see that Hanger 1 is expected to be used until early 2018, and the new hanger for at least five years.  April is the end of the rent-free period for Hanger 1.

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »

The sketch indeed was in the spirit of the lead article for #TheXH558Story See: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/859/82/TheXH558Story.html but guess those on UKAR have a different agenda.
Nothing good obviously derived from those sketches shown from Roy Chadwick!

Anyway, the outside of the 'interim' building has clearly been shown, and these were the first sketches of the inside (first floor) from conversations with the architect - more to see things are progressing. I'm sure they will get modified again before the final plans. Perhaps when they have created the scaled versions we can show those.

To help on expectations, here is my take...... 

- Storage in Hangar 1 until April - longer if possible.
- INTERIM HANGAR (the one being shown in press release) - 2018 through to whenever...
- 2018 onward: work on securing external funding for a much larger educational /inspirational facility (ETNA) that is then built within a 5-8 year time frame while Trust is still operational in the INTERIM hangar.
- When ETNA is built, move all across and existing lease passed to another airfield operator- or if really successful with grants, INTERIM hangar merged as an annex.

By nature, some might change, but that is certainly how I see the best case scenario.

Hope that clarifies that the interim hangar is not the final version of ETNA, but it can certainly be a stepping stone.

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »
What happens if the Hangar 1 offer isn't extended is there an option to rent, how much and how would this be funded? If she is evicted for the second time what's the plan, under cover storage? Costs, can the trust meet this?

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
Again, Hanger 1 is RENT FREE until the end of April (18/1/2017).  Unless it's going to be towed out to somewhere else equally rent-free (which hasn't been mentioned), or left outside rent-free (which has been discounted), then I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that Hanger 1 will continue to be available - at a rental - until the new/interim hanger is available in early 2018.  I do agree that this is one of the many missing bits of info, amongst the rest that has only been drip-fed over the past month.

Dr Pleming has also said that there will be no more pleas for cash during 2017, presumably because they need the funding for Hanger 1 rent to be in place before the rent-free period expires.  What happens if the £200k ("to secure the Trust and its assets for 2017" 8/2/2017) is not raised/matched by the end of April is another matter.

Offline Fonseca

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2017, 05:38:22 PM »
I've borrowed Andy's artwork (hope that's ok?) to show (orange) what I thought was the land proposed for the Etna site in relation to the site of the interim hangar (yellow). Cannot find anything definitive in print but I'm sure I've seen it somewhere! Also that as stated elsewhere it currently appears to be outside the airfield boundary...

"I've never flown an aircraft yet when I didn't feel a bit short of wing - except the Vulcan".

John Farley.

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2017, 10:09:54 PM »
That is the site I was told was earmarked for ETNA.

What the satellite does not show is how uneven it is!  Most land around airfield is pretty flat (Sutton Bank and Nympsfield being two obvious exceptions) but that field looks like a motocross course.

There will be a lot of work required to build Roberts dream.

Offline Fonseca

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »
Thanks Sam, that helps and hopefully removes some confusion. And "Bingo!" I've now found it.

http://www.guytaylorassociates.co.uk/projects/etna-centre.html

The line drawing at the bottom. For orientation the "interim" hangar would be linked to the stub of taxiway to the left of 558...

(Thanks Andy!)
"I've never flown an aircraft yet when I didn't feel a bit short of wing - except the Vulcan".

John Farley.

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
fascinating, I hadn't seen that before. It does look massive.

The Vulcan on the ground is almost lost in all that space BUT where is the 2nd one hanging from the roof coming from? Is XM607 finally going to be taken into the warm from Waddington?

And also a DC.3 suspended from the ceiling - I suppose there are a few knocking about though.
confacimus volatemum