Author Topic: So that's it then?  (Read 62794 times)

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: So that's it then?
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2017, 02:04:49 PM »
They hid that away well !
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »
Just scanned the article Smiler had posted the link for.

Someone has got their head up their arse if they think that The Red Arrows could co-exist on a commercial airfield.  They fly upwards of 5 sorties per day during the season work up and even if the display practices were held over another airfield, the circuit  access requirements for the Reds is incompatible with the scheduled commercial operation.

If anyone doubts that, just recall how impossible it has been to get 558 to have taxi runs, as promised to everyone when the decision to drop her on her last legs a few years ago. Not wishing to open any wounds here, but was the memory of a preventable double engine destruction on the active runway a contributory factor on this one?

Smoke and mirrors, or what we used to call in the IT sales sector, Vapourware

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »
Hi.

Found out how to access 'Founding Guardians'.
On the home page click 'Shop in Store'.
Click 'Shop Here'.
'Founding Guardians' is on the right side of 'clothing size guide'.
Very small lettering!

well I tried but couldn't find it but thanks for trying (I've actually tried 3 times!). I got as far as clothing eventually but it's not much more that a crappy copy of amazon nowadays. I did consider buying a beanie hat to put on 558's cockpit during the cold winter months but I doubt they could even deliver it now even if they had the right size although I couldn't find the size guide anyway.

thanks for taking the time to tell me though.

Also thanks to Clive for the other link, another that I would never have found (for more obvious reasons). Why on earth isn't there a search function or have I missed that as well. It's all a bit of a shambles and you have to wonder how they can sell anything with this fiasco?
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 08, 2017, 06:18:12 PM »
Andy it's on the yellow bar under the page title. Tho' from what I can see it's for Guardians only, I can't find any info about becoming a Guardian (and why it's under the shopping section I have no idea).

Other than wanting direct control of the finances I can't think why they wanted to challenge the success of the Club. It had bailed them out many times.

Does anyone know on average what the contribution from the Club was per annum?

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2017, 07:18:08 PM »
I seem to remember a conversation with a committee member and the figure of £5k per month was mentioned,money well spent   ::) especially after the Trust blanking the Club Committee with regards to the final flight (never got an answer to that one did we Steve !)

The whole thing stinkss worse than the sewage farm that 558 is now parked next to (and don't get me started on the wasted funds used to buy the Canberra bits)

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 09, 2017, 02:04:40 PM »
Like Dee, I'm going to give my renewal for Founding Guardian a miss. 

I've already sent back the raffle tickets with a message "Due to being on a fixed income, I have donated the money to The Dogs Trust"

Offline scampton61

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.underthefloor.co.uk
« Reply #261 on: December 13, 2017, 12:40:35 PM »
especially after the Trust blanking the Club Committee with regards to the final flight

Getting really tired of you perpetuating that lie Mike, and surprised no-one from committee has seen fit to correct it (which itself speaks volumes). For the record, EVERY member of committee was told by the Trust, in advance, of final flight date. At least one member was in hangar 3 before and after flight, as I've seen their photos. Far from blanked, committee were in an extremely select group to be aware of flight date, even some aircrew didn't know!

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 13, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
especially after the Trust blanking the Club Committee with regards to the final flight

Getting really tired of you perpetuating that lie Mike, and surprised no-one from committee has seen fit to correct it (which itself speaks volumes). For the record, EVERY member of committee was told by the Trust, in advance, of final flight date. At least one member was in hangar 3 before and after flight, as I've seen their photos. Far from blanked, committee were in an extremely select group to be aware of flight date, even some aircrew didn't know!
Only repeating what some members of the committee have told me,as you say no one has seen fit to correct  my and others comments !

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 13, 2017, 10:26:04 PM »

Only repeating what some members of the committee have told me,as you say no one has seen fit to correct  my and others comments !

Mike

The committee may well have been aware of the date of the flight but they were certainly not welcome.

After we had put 558 away I got a phone call from Jane Thomas.  She had come to the hangar to say goodbye to 558 - The trust management would not even let her into the hangar and she was upstairs looking at 558 from the corridor overlooking the hangar floor....
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 15, 2017, 04:57:40 PM »
From today's newsletter, for those who don't get it....

We have been led to expect the determination on our New Heritage Hangar planning application before the end of the year, so just as soon as we have news on the decision, we will advise you in the first available newsletter and across our social media channels of Facebook and Twitter. 
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 15, 2017, 10:27:12 PM »
So they will let us know result of the application.

How long before the begging bowl comes out as I understand they have no interest whatsoever from any backers.

Reading between the lines of the link that Taff posted I think that the local authorities and education establishments like the idea of the "ETNA" project - but I think they just don't want the trust involved.

Reading the founding guardians magazine the impression I get is that is there is no plan to carry out the restoration of 163.  The new hangar has space for parties, events, meetings and a shop - but no space for workshops or any engineering.  The articles talk about volunteers carrying out the work - well good luck to them and well done but I wonder where this new group of engineering type volunteers is going to come from.

The only hope I see for 558 finding a roof over her head is for a single benefactor paying for it.  The airport will be happy for the hangar to be built but if the trust are not careful they will end up out on their ear again as soon as someone with money offers to take the space on.
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 16, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »
For those of you who can’t get to Finningley here’s a few pics from my visit today - words fail me  :(

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 17, 2017, 08:57:12 AM »
Shocking to see wasnt it Jax!!! The Swift parked outside with no cover whatsoever!! The Canberra dumped amongst scrap cars etc!
And as for 558 well just look at the pics we took!!! Disgusted dosent come close to how i feel!!!!
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 17, 2017, 08:48:42 PM »
Shocking to see wasnt it Jax!!!

Yes, it was shocking........................ :-[

I’ve seen the pics of her outside but that didn’t prepare me for seeing her from Old Bawtry Road, looked like she was taxiing to the threshold waiting to take off.............

Heartbreaking doesn’t even scratch the surface  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline ADI

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 17, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »
and that poor old restored starter van out on the weather too  :'(