Author Topic: So that's it then?  (Read 48464 times)

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: So that's it then?
« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2018, 12:28:29 AM »
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2018, 07:10:31 PM »
Photos of the stickers.
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/names-under-the-wing-plaque.html

Yes, thanks for link Minty.

The pictures were taken shortly after the stickers ("Plaques"  ;D ;D) were applied so before any retrospective rectification may have been required.

I see Mr. Homer has been over on the UK Air Show forum biging up the quality of his workmanship "I can assure you the names plaques are made from high-quality 3M 'aircraft grade' vinyl, the same type used on commercial jets often flying in minus 30 celcius temperatures above 30,000 feet.

The whole idea of them falling off and being put back on by screws with washers is just ludicrous and you would have to wonder if such comments in posts are there for another purpose."

I am afraid that if Mr. Homer had applied the stickers to a commercial jet as he has to 558 he would be peeling them off and redoing the job.  In the pictures you can see there are bubbles under the stickers and the edges do not match.  Either 3M have supplied inferior grade vinyls as the aircraft is a non-flyer (I would not have thought so) or the application procedure has been inadequately carried out.  I have been working on an Air Malta Airbus this week and the vinyl which has been applied to that aircraft is of a superb quality - unlike the bodge job under the wings of 558.

And as for any other purpose in my posting - I only have one agenda which is to see 558 preserved (preferably as a flying Vulcan rather than a backdrop for a party venue)  On the other hand you have to question the motives of the trust management who only want to generate enough cash to continue paying the rent on the numerous offices, the salaries for the numerous staff (I see Mr. Straw has a new position in the trust according to his "Linkedin" profile) and I guess since the advent of the compulsory workplace pension enough for their pension contributions as well.

They are going to need every inch of 558's wings (and probably the fuselage and fin as well) to keep paying for that lot....
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline Lew

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 24, 2018, 07:15:01 PM »
Whats the point in applying the stickers and taking photos when no-one can actually physically get airside to view it, unless your one of the "special" gang.. (taken from UKArse):

After spending a few years with the team in hangar 3 when the spirit was alive it was great, now, its nothing more then a display board to line pockets which no-one (yet) can ever see.. Unless your part of an elite group that is.

The whole thing is a shambles. I feel sorry for the engineering team who put blood sweat and tears into 558 over the years and now to see it rotting outside is heartbreaking.

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2018, 07:33:46 AM »
Its an absolute shambles ..It should never have ended up like this!! I'm so disgusted i'm almost speechless!!!
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »
Surely if "they" continue to prevent the general public from seeing the aircraft in a museum, they are in breach of the stated aims of the Trust.

Back in the day, people were told to keep away from Finningley so as not to cause gridlock in and around the area.  I guess there aren't enough of us left now to mount a protest outside the airport to make this happen and force the press to investigate the shambles that is now an ongoing reality.  Pity that.

Offline ADI

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »
Where are our taxi runs we were promised, what a waste, roll on Bruntingthorpe, they've had nowt out of me since 2015 and nowt till we get something in return.  >:( rant over.

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #291 on: February 26, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »
I was just pondering how much money has gone into the Trust since the last flight? In 2016 the income was £550k-ish (I did a summary of the accounts here: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/smf/index.php?topic=7868.msg82096#new ) and as yet there are no 2017 figures available but they made £140k from the 'pin the name on the cash cow' appeal as well as what ever other income kept coming in even if that was half 2016's amount that would mean £275k +140k =£415k so since that last flight the income has totalled around £1 million!

What really upsets me is that for all that money there really is nothing to show for it, no hanger, no prospect of taxi runs, the aircraft stuck out in the weather next to a sewage treatment works (that was the official name for them when I worked for Anglian Water who own that site) providing scant shelter to a Canberra bought using funds which we the public (and club members) had donated to help keep 558 cared for, no prospect of an investor to build a hanger and only a few weeks of cash reserves left.

HOW?

I wish we could get answers but the Trust are becoming less and less forthcoming with details and only communicate when it's tempting those with money to burn to dip into their pockets.
Please Mr Edmonson & Mr Pleming, eat a bit of humble pie and do something to get her away from there before it's too late.
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline ADI

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 26, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
Please Mr Edmonson & Mr Pleming, eat a bit of humble pie and do something to get her away from there before it's too late.

Unfortunately I doubt they read this forum (they would rather burry there heads in the sand than know what the real feeling is) it seems there only in it for the money, we are nobodies they wont listern to us  >:(

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 27, 2018, 08:26:34 AM »

What really upsets me is that for all that money there really is nothing to show for it, no hanger, no prospect of taxi runs, the aircraft stuck out in the weather next to a sewage treatment works (that was the official name for them when I worked for Anglian Water who own that site) providing scant shelter to a Canberra bought using funds which we the public (and club members) had donated to help keep 558 cared for, no prospect of an investor to build a hanger and only a few weeks of cash reserves left.

Couldn't have put it better, Andy, my thoughts exactly.

In the heyday of her flying with all the excitement, expectations and sheer love for the old girl - who could have predicted it ending with her stuck outside next to a sewage for months with no public access and no shelter? It beggars belief!

I know Dee and I used to fret the odd times she was parked outside the hanger overnight!

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 27, 2018, 05:11:15 PM »
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 01, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »
Just as well they "thought" about trestles and jacks for the jet, she'd be sat on her arse by now with all the snow about, unless the fat cats got their shovels out - er, no chance.

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #296 on: March 02, 2018, 07:15:04 AM »
Hope she stays level otherwise we can expect another appeal to repair the damage.
If she is 'sat on her ar*e' then the trust could quickly apply another set of slaques (sticky plaques) to the rear upper surfaces before she settles back on all threes!
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2018, 06:21:18 PM »
So the winter service is complete and the only job that needs to be done is the replacement of the AAPP starter motor...

Despite the fact there is (or was) a serviceable AAPP in the stores the decision is made to drop the dog out of the box and change the starter motor in situ in service this would be done without dropping the dog - but obviously that was too hard for the volunteers.  If you've dropped the dog - you may a well replace it.

We have (or had - unless Bob has sold it) a proper stand for the dog but the "volunteer engineers" decided to drop the unit onto the top of a wooden step on a safety raiser and work on it there...

Nice to see the "engineers" have found the adjustable spanners in the tool box (I wonder what happened to all the real spanners) - what a great inspiration to the next generation of engineers and aviators.

And finally the paperwork which has been used - where have they found that piece of waste paper?  There are boxes of books in Delta Court - there were even books in the van, this looks like it has been photocopied from the back of a comic.

I know people will think I'm just being bitter but when you think how far this has fallen in just one year you may be able to see where I'm coming from.  I have no objection to volunteers "making do" but here there is (or shouldn't be) any excuse.  All of the tools, equipment, publications and expertise are available to the "volunteer engineering team" but they choose not to use them.

Still ready for another hard summer of ragging 558 to pay the wages and the pension plans...
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline minty4371

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2018, 06:39:54 PM »
558 will only be able to do ground engine runs and not fast taxi runs as they have no qualified pilots.
Pity they got rid of the professional ground crew.
I will not be able to see or hear the aircraft as I cannot afford to get there.
It is now a rich persons aircraft. (my opinion)
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Club Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Club Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust
Real Name is Robert Bester

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 02, 2018, 05:23:59 PM »
At the moment it's not even a rich persons a/c, just the play thing of a select few (my opinion).