Author Topic: So that's it then?  (Read 55325 times)

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: So that's it then?
« Reply #315 on: April 08, 2018, 08:06:57 PM »

Sorry but looking at the pictures, there is no way that starter motor could possibly be changed in situ.  I would also say that you only replace the suspect part, as there may be faults in other parts of a larger system.  I thought YOU Sam would appreciate that.  All electrical and electronic technicians know that.  What you are suggesting is akin to replacing a broken fan in a domestic boiler by fitting a new boiler.  Sounds like you have little to no idea about electrical fault finding - I would love to be your car mechanic!

As for adjustable spanners - I would have thought all standard RAF Shadow boards would have carried at least 2 different sizes.  That probably means that YOU have used them yourself whilst in Service.  Why don’t you stop back biting and pitch in and volunteer yourself, if you are so concerned?

I, for one, am immensely impressed with what the new team are managing to do - taking out the Rover unit cannot have been easy, even for an experienced team of professionals.  I think the volunteers, led by Taff need praise, rather than criticism from someone who should understand the intricacies of what they have to do.

Be a bit kinder, Sam - they seem to be doing ok, if today’s engine run went as well as people are posting on other forums.

Definitely getting to grips with the English language after your first couple of posts on this forum - how DARE you have a go at Sam  >:( >:( >:( >:(

“I thank you for you coment Mike,  I am sorry for new, but follow sometime.  I hope not problem.  I as well follow site "UKAR". It and me will laugh out loud. You as well?

I think "Sad Sam", some story to tell - yes?

I no wish to offend, is not welcome here?”

And -

“I buy you a beer or too to hear that plan Sad Sam.

You must know things. I would want to hear it possibly?

Return me know?”

Offline Paramania

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 08, 2018, 08:22:48 PM »
Easy Jakspeed, whoever you are.  Try drinking a bottle of real Vodka and working out which one of the seven languages you speak sounds best at 1am in the morning😂😂🍷🍷

By the way - I wasn’t having a go at Sam, and I am sure he’s capable of answering my points if he sees fit.  This is not a Sam fanpage, this is a Vulcan forum.  Stick to your the facts please.

Offline smiler

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 08, 2018, 08:25:08 PM »
Well someone took it down without having the common decency to inform me of the reason.

If that person has the guts, put it back so that those that care can see and then their own judgements and comments.  OR tell me why I was so out of whack?

Ah, maybe I mentioned the TAFF word????

Taff, in the open, I expected better of you and, I suppose, do most of the remaining supporters either logging or just lurking and listening.

You were once a legend but now..... loyalties?......

How many minutes until this is taken down, comrades?

This is not personal but I fail to square what he is doing with the "volunteers" for the greater good of the Trust

But I've already heard from others that the airport will NOT allow 558 to use the runway i.e. Fast Taxy

Anyone care to correct this view?

I don't know what you are trying to say but I am not a moderator, however I do lurk to see what is written on the forum.

The new team of volunteers are doing an excellent job and they do what I ask, so if any of you have any issues in the way I look after 558 'sorry', its the best I can do!  As for Sam's comments they are not all factually correct and yes I use an adjustable spanner, in fact all of the team did at certain times whilst she was flying (didn't seem to do any harm then).

The aircraft is in good condition and we carried out this years servicing in all conditions and to finish off todays ground runs went well including the functional check of the AAPP.

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 09, 2018, 07:22:41 AM »
Interesting comments and input from some. Sad to see the digs and jibes. Good to know that you are doing your best Smiler, thanks.

New members are always welcome, but if one was to browse the earlier postings, going way back, one would understand the quality of the Club and forum in the past. There is no need to enter the forum and commence attacking, but a chance to make constructive postings or ask questions.

XH558 is an example of a fantastic design, built for a purpose, and tested. The support for it has been fantastic, through an amazing time, and with an outstanding result in the return to a successful period of flight. The end of that period has led to a stalling of purpose whilst awaiting a satisfactory security of future location and support. We all hope that that future will provide a location which, along with the original aim of providing "education", will honour those who ensured the security of the life we live.

I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline steve w

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2018, 05:51:56 PM »
Well said Planenut.

Offline minty4371

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2018, 05:08:48 PM »
Seen in today's Newsletter.
Last Sunday, Taff and our team of volunteer groundcrew brought XH558’s systems back to life in the final phase of winter maintenance ahead of completing full engine ground-running checks. All was reported to be well, including the recently serviced AAPP reported on last week. The day acted as a refresher course, ready for the groundcrew and tour guide volunteers to begin public access tours with XH558 from next month.
Look out for news on the first public engine ground-run date, with full booking details in a newsletter very soon.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:15:02 PM by minty4371 »
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Club Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Club Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust
Real Name is Robert Bester

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 14, 2018, 12:52:38 AM »
Seen in today's Newsletter.
Last Sunday, Taff and our team of volunteer "groundcrew" brought XH558’s systems back to life in the final phase of winter maintenance ahead of completing full engine ground-running checks. All was reported to be well, including the recently serviced AAPP reported on last week. The day acted as a refresher course, ready for the "groundcrew" and tour guide volunteers to begin public access tours with XH558 from next month.
Look out for news on the first public engine ground-run date, with full booking details in a newsletter very soon.

To quote Bob Geldoff "Give us your money"

Come on folks cough up - those pension plans are not going to top themselves up....
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 14, 2018, 09:19:42 AM »
Well, to see there will be public access tours starting next month is a good thing, but why does it take so long to organise? 558 has been where she is for months, OK there may not be as much interest over the winters months as the summer, but 655 MaPS seem to mange perfectly well in similar conditions.

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 14, 2018, 10:53:11 AM »
I would wager that the "Public Access" will involve an outlay of at least a couple of hundred quid ! well out the reach of your average ex supporter/volunteer !!  :-\

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 14, 2018, 10:37:55 PM »
Still no repudiation of the comment that the airport will not allow fast taxy runs. :-\

Surely someone in "authority" can step up and make a statement.

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 20, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »
I know some of you don't like UKAR, but you may be interested in reading some of the recent posts on there ( last page - page 58 )
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline minty4371

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 20, 2018, 04:37:41 PM »
The XH558 Engine Ground-Run Experience -
Bookings now being taken for Saturday 12th May - 9am start and 1pm start.
You could be enjoying close-access to XH558 and hear the famous Vulcan 'howl' at close-quarters with our first public ground engine-run of 2018.
Arrive at the Ramada Hotel on the edge of Doncaster Sheffield Airport to your Welcome Meeting with refreshments and drinks provided.
Take in your briefing, then depart through security (Valid photo I.D. required) to board a coach that will take you to the engine ground-running bay.
See the ground crew prepare the aircraft for power-on.
Witness the aircraft come to life, with all Olympus engines started and control surfaces exercised.
See the operation of the bomb-bay doors and air-brakes.
Hear application of full-power to selected engines and the famous Vulcan 'howl'.
Shutdown and then close under-wing inspections complete the airside visit before returning to the coach.
9am arrival - only 30 places available - Adults @ £100 per head
1pm arrival - only 30 places available - Adults @ £100 per head
Limited 16-17 year-old places available at £75 per head while stocks last

This is in Today's newsletter.

Rest of it at https://mxm.mxmfb.com/rsps/m/J6C5cpcmLps5H43gZ8qfMhlF02oTMo-Wr2X1QBCgXAU
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Club Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Club Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust
Real Name is Robert Bester

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 16, 2018, 08:25:33 AM »
Whilst somewhat off topic.....

A serious accusation regarding the silica bag incident has been posted on UKAR by someone who calls himself 'bernarde'.
Given that there are those on here ( including Sam, unless I'm mistaken ) who've said they don't frequent that forum, I feel it should be posted on here :
VTTS will never give any information out on the silica incident as it was covered up as the person who removed them (or not) shouldn't have been anywhere near the aircraft while preparing for a sortie. Needless to say they remained employed by the trust but in a "IT" role. The engineers got the blame who we're not even on-site due to being stuck in traffic.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #328 on: May 16, 2018, 01:47:50 PM »
well you whetted my appetite Clive and I had a look but the original statement has now gone, but your copy here still exists.

I'm amazed that that lot still keep dragging the same subject up and really it's no wonder that I and others refuse to post on there. It's the most unfriendly forum that I've ever been on, aggressive and rude. Dan'O thrives on his antagonism and imflammatory comments with which he leads the way and then his disciples do what disciples do best and follow suit so it's an ever increasing tank full of  insulting comments to almost every aircraft preservation group or airshow organiser in the UK. Last week it was Shuttleworth getting an e-bashing for daring to include the Typhoon, today as well as the regular VTST bashing it's Scampton and so on.

I'm not defending the Trust here, I do feel they have let us down with their decision making but the attacks on Steve Liddle this morning by Rich-whatshisname culminating in 'Oh, really? Sorry, you don't get to take the bat and ball and go home just yet. We're not done' was downright rude as well as aggressive and hardly deserving of a civil reply if indeed any reply at all.

UKAR are not official spokespersons for the enthusiasts but try to behave as if they are but their attitude will (if it hasn't already' lose them all credibility. That in some ways is a shame because a group acting as an 'official' liasion between airshows and the more serious airshow attending public could be a positive thing but who in their right mind is going to listed to them with their attitude for any length of time? A case in point is DanO, he clearly think antagonism is the best approach and upsets people on the way (including me and that is why I stopped posting there, they could clearly do without me although I notice several of my posts on here have then been quoted in full - without my permission)  but sadly he does actually make a few good points and a far more conciliatory attitude might  find him making his points better AND getting better responses.

I'd like to see answers from the trust, we aren't getting enough at the moment - all I keep getting is almost daily e-mails with the latest V-Bay offer and a tenuous story to beef it out and call it a newsletter (I thought they were reducing to one a week to keep down costs) but harping back to the past solves nothing unless it's the past of the last 3 years and why it has all gone so wrong. I agreed with Doncaster as a flying base but unfinanced grand plans at a live airport were the wrong choice for after flight however I'm not sure that the much heralded Bruntingthorpe ticked all the boxes - for me more than Doncaster but not all.
Whether we will ever get all or even some of the relevant answers I don't know but I hope so. The relevant questions forme now are:
1: is there any likelihood of even the currently approved hangar being built i.e. has a backer been found? If not then you can almost certainly rule out ETNA and that was the core argument for staying at Doncaster so with no funds in place an alternative cheaper option should have been sought before flying ended.
2: is the current funding model sustainable in the long run or is 558 on an inevitable collision course with a breaker's cutter at some point? It seems to be based on goodwill plus charging high prices to get up close for the few that can realistcally afford it, hardly the accessible 'people's aircraft' that was offered. Another Vulcan did engine runs for it's supporters on a live airport recently so what is so different with Doncaster? (and it wasn't at £100 per person).
3: was a guarantee that in their then present state that the Trust could do fast taxiing on the Doncaster runway? (I've been told that at present the airport are totally against it because of the risks to the runway operations, i.e the aircraft might break down or similar) The regular fast taxi runs  were another carrot to persuade us the long supporting public that Doncaster was a good choice so when if ever will they materialise AND in a way which are publicly accessible at a reasonable price?

Those for me are the core questions. silicagate and rollgate are way in the past and harping on about them serves no purpose, I'm sure they were dealt with such that a repetition would not occur, if the Trust operate a blame free culture then so be it, that's all in the past now and ultimately the CAA were satisfied so that's all we need to know.

Andy
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline eddief

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 18, 2018, 11:33:49 PM »
"Dan O" - the Sunday Sport of aviation...  ;)
985 posts on last forum - so I get the \'hallowed 1000\' for just 15 on this one (yippee!)