Author Topic: So that's it then?  (Read 45624 times)

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: So that's it then?
« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »
"Dan O" - the Sunday Sport of aviation...  ;)
Haha, the Daily Sport and Sunday Sport, they had some great headlines! Wasn't there a Liberator crashed on the moon once, then a London Double Decker bus got transported to the North Pole... :o

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #331 on: May 21, 2018, 08:23:15 PM »
"Dan O" - the Sunday Sport of aviation...  ;)
Haha, the Daily Sport and Sunday Sport, they had some great headlines! Wasn't there a Liberator crashed on the moon once, then a London Double Decker bus got transported to the North Pole... :o

Lancaster and it was 2nd Edition !! 1st edition was the Double Decker at the North Pole

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 22, 2018, 04:14:27 PM »
Sadly, the days of "Dan oh not again" are not past.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 23, 2018, 04:54:57 PM »
All well and good slagging off DanO', but it still doesn't answer the accusation regarding 'silicagate' though.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 23, 2018, 06:36:51 PM »
All well and good slagging off DanO', but it still doesn't answer the accusation regarding 'silicagate' though.

Do you really think there would be any explanation after all this time; speculation achieves nothing.

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2018, 07:06:22 PM »
That would be for Taff, Sam & any of the others to decide, given that the accusation was aimed at them.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 24, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »
It's all very well to suggest that a no-blame culture surrounds the silica gel incident and it has a parallel in the RAF's "I learned about flying from that" stories. The UKAR claim is really off squonk! Compare these bags with surgical swabs for a moment - they are alway counted "out" after an operation. Result - no risk of contamination/infection/sepsis/death. Now consider if the engines had exploded after V1/rotate and, as has happened with Vulcans before, were not contained?

Someone signed off the B/F servicing and the result must rest with that person. 

BUT.........was this the seed that has spawned the (unconfirmed) claims that the airport will never allow fast taxi runs?

BTW, I am still being contacted as a founding guardian even though I cancelled my subscription way back last year. Paperwork, it would seem, is not keeping up with reality - ha! - how many FG's are still active?

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 24, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »
I think I'm a FG, not sure as not heard a lot recently so who knows?

Offline SteveL

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 25, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »
Andy,

I can offer some views on your questions:

1)   The hangar is very much a live project and getting the aircraft under cover and fully accessible again is the top priority. The Trust has said this week that you should expect news on this soon; because there are other organisations involved (including DSA), everyone needs to agree on any announcements that might be made.

2)   The current funding model is designed to get us to the point where XH558 is back inside and (at the very least) H3 type activities can take place and revenue generated. The team are trying very hard to make it work. It is not a realistic prospect that ten years from now, things will be sustainable if they remained as they are at the moment and it would be difficult at that point to fulfil the charitable objectives/demonstrate public benefit to a credible degree (in my view). 

3)   No aircraft is guaranteed operation at the airport; it needs to satisfy the relevant people that it is safe and that authority can obviously be withdrawn from any operator at the airport’s discretion. As stated in the Q&A from last September, it was relatively simple to show that XH558 was safe to use the runway when it had a PtF, but less so after its expiry at the end of 2015. There was however an understanding on all sides that it was part of the plan and it was worked on in 2016, but of course came to an abrupt end in the December when it became apparent that the aircraft would need to be stored. The planned new hangar gives us a chance to restate and agree with DSA exactly what our operational requirements are for XH558, WK163 and any visiting aircraft, while getting the aircraft back inside would (in my view) provide a confidence boost for the airport in terms of quality assurance. The airport has definitely not said that the Vulcan will never fast taxy at DSA; I believe we will get there.

Offline steve w

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 25, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »
Thanks for the insight Steve.

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 25, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »
Thanks for the update.
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 25, 2018, 07:37:12 PM »
I appreciate your time and comments.

Online CLIFFORD

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 26, 2018, 02:51:42 PM »
thanks Steve.

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #343 on: May 27, 2018, 09:44:56 AM »
Andy,

I can offer some views on your questions:

many thanks for taking the time to reply Steve, that's the best set of answers I've seen from anybody in a very long time and offers me a good degree of re-assurance and I appreciate that in some parts it's your views rather than an official Trust opinion but you do show a good deal of realism and that bodes well especially with your being close to the core of the operation.  I hope others that read this also share that view,

thanks again
Andy
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 28, 2018, 01:27:05 AM »
That would be for Taff, Sam & any of the others to decide, given that the accusation was aimed at them.

I don't think anyone is accusing me of leaving anything in the intakes.

VTTS will never give any information out on the silica incident as it was covered up as the person who removed them (or not) shouldn't have been anywhere near the aircraft while preparing for a sortie. Needless to say they remained employed by the trust but in a "IT" role. The engineers got the blame who we're not even on-site due to being stuck in traffic.

The statement is not quite true as we were not stuck in traffic, we were still travelling into work.  I received a phone call the previous evening telling me the "crew in" time had been moved forward. I was in Southampton at the time and said there was no way I could get to Doncaster in time for an 08:00 start (and then safely work a full day)  I offered to leave straight away if the trust would cover the extra nights accommodation.  This was turned down on the grounds of expense.  To save more money my journey to work included picking up Mouse and Mark Brown, which added further delay to the journey.

The person who made the call told me that "it's ok we can cover it" - I thought they meant the guys who lived in Lincolnshire would cover the pre-flight service but when we eventually arrived Ray Watts was not there as he had a hospital appointment.

While we were driving up the motorway we had a phone call from a member of the management team asking why we had not gone to Hinckley to pick up the trust Land Rover which would have saved more money (and added another 30 - 40 minutes onto the journey)

I think we eventually arrived about 10 minutes before "crew in"  I was informed that all of the servicing was complete.  I had a quick look around the aircraft, topped up one of the Nitrogen systems and signed for the airframe element of the service.  The crew arrived and the rest is history.
I'll never give up on the dream!