Author Topic: Positive news re hangar funding in the latest e-mail!  (Read 949 times)

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
Positive news re hangar funding in the latest e-mail!
« on: July 12, 2018, 05:33:50 PM »
quote:

For the past six months, since full planning approval was obtained late in December, the Trust has been in discussions with an investor - who does not wish to be named at this stage - who has offered to fund the majority of the costs of constructing the Trust's New Hangar at Doncaster Sheffield Airport on land that has now been purchased by the Airport. 

In parallel, building contractors have provided costs for the build, and a small amount of preparatory work at the site has been carried out. Having agreed in principle the terms of the investment, our discussions have now moved on to detailed negotiations between sets of solicitors. 

When this process is completed, we will be able to make further announcements including our planned timescale. We do however hope that the hangar will open and have access to XH558 available in 2019. In addition, we are in discussions with others for the remainder of the funding required to turn the new hangar into an exciting visitor attraction for South Yorkshire. 

We are very grateful for the patience of our supporters during this long and involved process, on which by its nature has meant we have been unable to offer frequent, detailed updates. We are confident that this plan will allow us to fulfil our aspirations of honouring the past and inspiring the future, while giving XH558 a fitting, relevant and secure home in the very long term. 

something positive at last!
Andy
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline SteveL

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Positive news re hangar funding in the latest e-mail!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »
Everybody enjoys good news!  :)

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:49:37 AM »
I think the best you can say is it's only confirmation of what has been hinted at over the last couple of years and lets face it, it's almost 3 yrs since 558s last flight. With negotiations only now starting between solicitors  and we know how long that process can take, I can't see it being built in time for occupation next year but I do hope I'm wrong.

Offline EmmPeaBee

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »
I Think it is Great News - and Thanks for sharing it.
I think we all should accept that this sort of negotiation can drag on and on and on.
So many good projects fall by the wayside because of old father time taking his toll.
But Progress IS being made, so thanks for the hard work, & strength for Future.
Mike

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »
I came across The Vulcan Story 1993 yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp4YnPAe1gI, which starts with the purchase by the Waltons, but is largely about the design, build and testing by the people involved - all very interesting.  Also a section about XM605 and the preservation work they were doing, during which they say how difficult it is to keep aircraft systems working once it is kept outside, and struggling with things like a completely seized engine.

Offline steve w

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 05:14:40 PM »
Which is why regular engine runs, system exercising and maintenance are performed on XH558, which also generates revenue and keeps her in the public eye - last weekend's runs were sold out, which paid for the fuel etc.  :)