Author Topic: Poll on the future of Vulcan XH558  (Read 21345 times)

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: Poll on the future of Vulcan XH558
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 12:09:24 AM »
If I want to see a Vulcan fast taxi I'll go to Wellesbourne and (hopefully once their Return to Power is complete) Southend. '558 is airworthy - I would much rather she flew somewhere in the world than be shackled to the ground.

However, I'm still hoping for option c...

Gully
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 08:12:10 AM »
Quote from: "jangor"
I know 558 has been saved twice at the last moment, but can we honestly see this happening a third time.............. :cry:

I will try any idea I can think of to raise even a few pounds to keep her flying. And I won't walk away even if (and it we all do our damnedest, won't happen) the sky is finally locked away from her for the last time because she will still need TLC to keep her in pristine condition, hopefully as a ground running live exhibit.

From that you know which way I polled, I've put a lot into her (time and cash but nowhere near as much as many others) and feel there's a bit of me in there somwhere even if it is on ly hot air in the form of exhaust gases and I think here in the UK is the best way to ensure she gets that TLC in perpetuety, she's given us a lot  so we still need to look after her once she stops flying in a few years time - we owe it to her in return for all the pleasure she has given us.

DIG DEEP , DON'T BURY HER!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:01:58 AM by sickbag_andy »
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline jocelyn

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 08:40:01 AM »
The idea of 558 not flying feels me with absolute horror. She has given us such joy by being up there where she belongs.... But if the worst happens I shall still support her as she will still need us then. hOWEVER.... Lets not even imagine it. We MUST find that  money and recriminations can come later. I ll put  in all I can and then some more please lets all do the same!

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 09:11:51 AM »
The poll is a pleasant offer to us, the nuts or enthusiasts of whom some have given enormous amounts of their time, possibly more valuable than finance to them, and those who have given as much as they can to ensure this icon flies in British skies.
When she first retired I thought I would never see the like of her in the sky again but I was wrong and mainly because loads of other people thought and fought for a different outcome - I could now say that these last flying years have been a bonus and thanks very much and good bye, but I will try to throw my offerings in the bucket and hope for another year.
I think it would be a strange irony if she were bought by and flown by Americans; they can afford it as the ratio of givers in the country equated to theirs is more financially viable; the irony being that they would be looking upon our aircraft and being slapped in the face with "you didn't make this did you? it's British!"  .....but God doesn't make or stop things happening, it's us that does that, so spread the word - rapidly.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »
Whatever you think of the poll, it has certainly also had a positive result overnight...

Copied from a post in Funding:

...back onto funding for a while....

I have just checked the electronic donations, and adding in the Auction to date, plus £700+ from the photo competition, together with known income yesterday at Hinckley - £ 28,960 has just been allocated to the appeal - £15,000 of that came in overnight!!!

This does not include cheques that might be in the system as a result of the mail-out and due to hit on Monday.

Given we need just over £30,000 for the next 8 days and we are now entering the "normal" raised awareness period (i.e Deadline is close), we
are far from being beaten!!

Please keep pushing today and over the weekend, getting those posters out to as many supermarket notice-boards as possible.

WE CAN STILL VERY MUCH DO THIS!

Ian.

Offline johnjosh43

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 11:22:06 AM »
The concept of being the last British 4 engined aircraft is a bit tenuous. Rather a lot of BAe/Avro 146s about.

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 11:30:32 AM »
... and they are regularly on the Display Circuit?  Even the lastest Rolls Royce equipped Airbus types are "European".

Edit: in light of another challenge on this, Robert has explained:

"The Avro 146/RJs have American engines (Honeywell/Lycoming)"

Offline rs2kmk5

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 08:41:09 PM »
I've been quiet on here for a while due to being made redundant but I am back in work now, albeit much lower pay and still regularly contribute via the monthly flyind fund draw, plus standing order of all I can afford...don't give up guys, we will get there - £248k required at time of this post and I've sent over a small donation (again don't let my Mrs know).

Keep the faith. If worse does come to worse, flying abroad would be my choice - I'd take on a 3rd job to raise holiday funds to go see her up where she belongs!  :shock:

andymids

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »
bit of a no win situation to see her sitting in a museum would be sad knowing shes capable of flying but having her took abroad would secure her flying days but how sad we cant see her  :?

Offline isibob

• Volunteer Group
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 10:38:03 AM »
I am fully backing Option C, the last thing I wish to see is 558 flying around in the USA with a thumping great yellow 'M' painted on her and a clown acting as pilot. Likewise being used a publicity vehicle by a country she may have been designed to protect us from. Don't forget if sold away from home then there would be no control over how she looked or what she did................

Having said that I believe that the option of keeping her here in the UK and flying is not a out of the question, in fact if we all go at it then we can go a long way to persuading the Trustees that we should have the time to go further and put into practice the solutions identified for the years 2011 -12 for her continuing presence
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:11:08 PM by isibob »

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »
Quote from: "isibob"

I am fully backing Option C, the last thing I wish to see is 558 flying around in the USA with a thumping great yellow 'M' painted on her and a clown acting as pilot. Likewise being used a publicity vehicle by a country she may have been designed to protect us from. Don't forget if sold away from home then there would be no control over how she looked or what she did................

Having said that I believe that the option of keeping her here in the UK and flying is not a out of the question, in fact if we all go at it then we can go a long way to persuading the Trustees that we should have the time to go further and put into practice the solutions identified for the years 2011 -12 for her continuing presence

No doubt the Trustees will make their decision based upon their legal obligations to ensure a viable business going forward. I'm not convinced 'pursuasion' is what is required: the situation is back or white - either the Trust can legally continue or it can't.

Gully
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 07:27:10 PM »
nice to be allowed the option of posting to the poll but it really is only an opinion that won't affect the outcome, so it's a shame that members should start rubbing each other up the wrong way, intentional or otherwise, we're all here for the same reason.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline simguy

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 08:19:05 PM »
Her birthday has gone, let's give her a christmas present. Donation is on it's way!

Offline radiomidherts

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »
I could not make a decission  how can we engourage the younger generation into engineering if there are no examples of our achivments in the uk

wake up govenment instead of helping the banks use the money in engineering use the bonuses as well

an old school engineer
peter  :idea:

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 11:41:22 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Peter

I am sure you will fit into the "Mad House"

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner