Author Topic: Update ??  (Read 14836 times)

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Update ??
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »
Apart from in Bournemouth and Southampton where the local media seem to be falling over themselves to cover Vulcan stuff  :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline jangor

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 09:38:43 PM »
Quote from: "Gully"
My understanding is that there was a press release sent out - agreed at the same time as the message for this website. However, the media, whether local or national, cannot be forced to run a story - it is up to their editors. I would suggest that unless one of them wants to claim (as many have in the past) that THEY and their readers have saved '558, the best we could hope for as a good news storey is a few lines hidden on the umpteenth page below the 'squirrel hunting for acorns proves hard winter on the way' exclusive...

Gully

you would have thought that if they ran the `doom and gloom` story, they would be more than glad to have a `success` story

but then again, maybe only `doom and gloom` but not `success` sells papers
 ;)

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 09:46:10 PM »
True, doom and gloom does sell newspapers, however they do like to lift spirits with a little bit of sunshine.

It hasn't exactly been a Good News Week for most people, so I'm surprised the media hasn't reported on our success.
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 10:03:40 PM »
certainly not been best of weeks, what with the toner cartridge bombs, Somali Pirates were at it again I believe, then the QANTAS A380 (glad I didnt have a ticket to ride on that one and I'd been envying those who have been on one saying how good it is) all a bit touch & go - roll on the weekend and hope for better days next week.
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 10:22:32 PM »
After being close to the edge once again, you would have thought our continued survival would have warranted a few inches of column space.
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 08:35:04 AM »
unfortunately good news isn't a big generator of newspaper sales, in a roundabout way we get far more publicity from a crisis. I'm happy to take it back if I'm wrong but that I've got a feeling that's the way the press tend tooperate.
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 09:09:09 AM »
Nail hit squarely on head, who would want to read good news?

Much better to hear more about how your job is in danger, your pension is bust, the bankers have all got a pay rise, the world is going to end, but most importantly of all some footballer has got sunburn while on holiday with some bird off of strictly come x factor apprentice.  :o

Offline Mags

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »
Quote from: "Sad Sam"
Nail hit squarely on head, who would want to read good news?

Much better to hear more about how your job is in danger, your pension is bust, the bankers have all got a pay rise, the world is going to end, but most importantly of all some footballer has got sunburn while on holiday with some bird off of strictly come x factor apprentice.  :o

ROFL! :lol:

How true!!

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 06:29:52 AM »
I admit, when you consider the facts, doom and gloom sells Newspapers.

After all, the most valuable Newspapers to be sold at Auction are genuine 1912 copies of Newspapers reporting the Titanic Disaster!

Yet, as was proven when ITN revived News At Ten, the British Public were more concerned that they also revived the "And Finally..." section, than they were about the revival of the famous Bongs!

A lot of us always look on the bright side of life!

The Great British Public like to feel that life could be worse, they may be on their way to a crap job as they read the news, but at least they're on their way to work! They may have just been laid off, but at least they aren't the Labour MP that was recently humiliated by Joanna Lumley and has now been stripped and sacked for dirty tricks during the Election!

If we didn't want to see glimmers of hope amongst all the doom and gloom in the news, "Have I Got News For You" wouldn't have got past series one!!!
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 12:17:05 PM »
Good point, well made.

I suggest you forward your bright and sunny out look onto the editors of all the nationals, along with Ian's latest press release. Because heaven knows if we ever need cheering up it must be about now.

Any-one got a spare engine for an A380 in their back yard? Post codes in Indonesia not accepted. ;)