Author Topic: Private showing  (Read 49648 times)

Offline Grumpyjohn

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
Private showing
« on: August 01, 2010, 02:18:22 PM »
Except for those fortunate (and undoubtedly deserving) RAF members and families such as at Lyneham, Marham etc. who get their own private displays, anyone who wants to be certain (barring tech issues!) of seeing our lady in the air must attend an airshow.

My wife and I are beginning to find the hassle of getting into shows increasingly wearisome, but we are still staunch supporters. This year we thought of going to Farnborough again (it's our nearest one) but the ticket prices combined with the inevitability of traffic problems made us decide that we'd much rather pay £50.00 directly to VTTS if only we could see "our" aircraft without the hassle.

I realise that security issues probably rule the idea out, but could there be any way of enabling members to attend private displays - at a price?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline bovril

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://xm655.com
Re: Private showing
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:30:02 PM »
it would no longer be a private show ? every vulcan nut would be there.

now could a members only show be organised and at what cost?
XM655 - the most powerful vulcan in the world
[Alive and Kicking]

Offline Grumpyjohn

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »
Depends on the price. A members only show was what I was really suggesting, but founded on one of the RAF base private events.

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 05:11:43 PM »
I know what you mean, something along the lines of the mythical members day. ;)
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline stevew

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 06:24:47 PM »
The Vulcan Restoration Trust members got an invite to the RAF Cottesmore Families Day many years ago when it was the base for the TTTE.

So it would seem a sensible thing to do for VTSC members.

Offline jangor

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 09:02:12 PM »
Quote from: "stevew"
The Vulcan Restoration Trust members got an invite to the RAF Cottesmore Families Day many years ago when it was the base for the TTTE.

So it would seem a sensible thing to do for VTSC members.

sounds good to me..................... :D

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:56:39 PM »
Anywhere CENTRAL would be a great idea.

I really wanted to go on a Hangar Tour, but Lyneham was impossible to get to.
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 11:53:46 PM »
This was talked about many times of having a "members get together" many places were banded around where we the members could get up close and personel with her and meet the crew, without "Joe Public" being there.

With her displaying etc it was fitting 558 in & where she could land which really left just RAF stations then the security problem arose if I can remember.

So I think it all went on the back burners :roll:  :roll:

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline rusty

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:01:46 AM »
Members Day seemed such an obvious thing to do in the days when we are all a little naive and it all seemed so simple we will get her in the air and have a day for ourselves at Bruntingthorpe. We did not understand the full implications of CAA requirements and the "Vulcan Effect" among the general public. That does not mean it was or has been forgotten many scenarios have been considered in the past and I am sure the  committee are still searching for that allusive answer.  It may be so much more difficult to achieve than at first thought but I have faith it will happen in the fullness of time
Honouring the Past , Inspiring the Future

Offline Rushy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rushy.net/
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »
Quote from: "rusty"
Members Day seemed such an obvious thing to do in the days when we are all a little naive and it all seemed so simple we will get her in the air and have a day for ourselves at Bruntingthorpe. We did not understand the full implications of CAA requirements and the "Vulcan Effect" among the general public. That does not mean it was or has been forgotten many scenarios have been considered in the past and I am sure the  committee are still searching for that allusive answer.  It may be so much more difficult to achieve than at first thought but I have faith it will happen in the fullness of time
Thanks Rusty!

It's good to know you're still out there.
I hope all is well in your new place and that it's all working out nicely for you.  :D

Rushy
--

Whoda thunk it?

Offline Jimlad

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 01:20:03 PM »
Quote from: "Rushy"
Thanks Rusty!

It's good to know you're still out there.
I hope all is well in your new place and that it's all working out nicely for you.  :D

Rushy

Seconded.
Nice to hear from you Rusty
Jimlad

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 01:44:26 PM »
'Ey Ooop...look busy the Boss is back! :D  :D  :D

Good to see you Rusty!
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 01:53:48 PM »

Hi Rusty - good to hear from you.

Committee is indeed still wedded to delivering a Members' Day with display, but as you indicate, it's not proving an easy win. Indeed, our latest plan was scuppered only last week. And before anyone asks, I'm not going to go into details!  ;)  :)  Suffice to say we continue our endeavours.

Gully
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 10:50:52 PM »
I for one fail to see how "Security" can be an issue on a designated RAF base when several of them invite the public to pay and attend annual Air Shows (Waddington etc).Furthermore the goodwill gesture of 558 attending Family Days as a thank you to the RAF should surely be extended to the loyal supporters who have "Actively" campaigned and dug deep to keep 558 airborne over the last three years.
A simple solution surely is to combine one of the family days with a Club Members Day,a data base of eligble members who wish to attend can be given to the Station Security Commander and on the day Club Membership Cards with a Valid Passport/Driving Licence should be more than enough of a security check for admission onto the base,how hard can it be?
We are not talking about 100,000 visitors as with Waddington and other large Airshows,just a few hundred dedicated people who have given of their time and money to support 558,surely it is now time to honour the promise made all those years ago before it is too late and 558 is just another museum piece.

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 11:35:22 PM »
Quote from: "StAthan lecky"
I for one fail to see how "Security" can be an issue on a designated RAF base when several of them invite the public to pay and attend annual Air Shows (Waddington etc).Furthermore the goodwill gesture of 558 attending Family Days as a thank you to the RAF should surely be extended to the loyal supporters who have "Actively" campaigned and dug deep to keep 558 airborne over the last three years.
A simple solution surely is to combine one of the family days with a Club Members Day,a data base of eligble members who wish to attend can be given to the Station Security Commander and on the day Club Membership Cards with a Valid Passport/Driving Licence should be more than enough of a security check for admission onto the base,how hard can it be?
We are not talking about 100,000 visitors as with Waddington and other large Airshows,just a few hundred dedicated people who have given of their time and money to support 558,surely it is now time to honour the promise made all those years ago before it is too late and 558 is just another museum piece.

Mike

Hi Mike
Actually you are talking a potential figure of upwards of 5-6000 people after all both the Club and the Trust have been promising this members day for 15yrs now so the uptake is going tobe potentially HUGE!!!

Denis
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper