Author Topic: Private showing  (Read 51329 times)

Offline stevew

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Private showing
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 07:00:38 AM »
Hi Denis,

Nice to hear from you again.

I agree that the potential uptake could be quite large but in real terms if such an event took place, I'm sure it would be nothing near the 5-6k e.g. whatever the date and location chosen/agreed it wouldn't be suitable for all.

I think the only way we will be able to stage such an event both financially and logistically would be to link it up with a RAF Families day. I agree with Mike that from a security point of view this should be possible as admissions can be easily controlled by the use of membership cards and passports/other photo id.

I think this is more about a RAF base actually wanting to do this and surely the appearance of '558 at their event should be incentive enough? Do Waddington have a families day?

Steve
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 07:27:37 AM »
Quote from: "Zero One"
....after all both the Club and the Trust have been promising this members day for 15yrs now
And therein lies another problem ........ who gets invited to any Members Day if / when it happens ??
Do you restrict it to current members , or do you invite ex-members as well ??
After all , some of those who are ex-members at that time would have been members for much longer than many of those who were current members !
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
by stevew » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:00 am

Hi Denis,

I agree that the potential uptake could be quite large but in real terms if such an event took place, I'm sure it would be nothing near the 5-6k e.g

True Steve..... but we, the committee would have to plan for that contingency or we could get overwelmed

Quote from: "wcg"
Quote from: "Zero One"
....after all both the Club and the Trust have been promising this members day for 15yrs now

And therein lies another problem ........ who gets invited to any Members Day if / when it happens ??
Do you restrict it to current members , or do you invite ex-members as well ??
After all , some of those who are ex-members at that time would have been members for much longer than many of those who were current members !

The question I would ask is..... Why? .......are they ex-members?  surely if they wish to come to a "members day" that pre-supposes they are club members?

When the Club organises the event it would be, to my mind, for their paid up membership only....

:)
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 08:19:55 AM »
wasn't there suppose to be a members day at duxford a few years back? although she wasnt going to land, not enough people signed up 2000 i think, we needed 22'000 or something, poorly advertised in the newsletter, all lead to the idea being canned.

A way needs to be found to sort out a members day its well over due and deserved.

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 09:01:27 AM »
Quote from: "leslie"
wasn't there suppose to be a members day at duxford a few years back? although she wasnt going to land, not enough people signed up 2000 i think, we needed 22'000 or something, poorly advertised in the newsletter, all lead to the idea being canned.

A way needs to be found to sort out a members day its well over due and deserved.

The reason it was shelved was, we needed to raise a considerable amount of money (hence the 22,000 attendance requirement and cost per head) to pay for Duxford to close down their museum for a morning (their requirement I believe, not ours), but in any case the aircraft didn't get its permit in time.. so it was a non-starter..

I can tell you that the club has not forgotten about this promise, in fact the latest attempt to organise it foundered only last week..... we, your committee are still working very hard to bring you this day..... please keep the faith..

Denis
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 09:14:46 AM »
Ah!! If only it was that easy!!! :(
We are trying folks (yes very trying I hear you say!!) and we are doing everything we can to make this happen.
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 10:23:45 AM »
Quote from: "brains_mt"
Ah!! If only it was that easy!!! :(
We are trying folks (yes very trying I hear you say!!) and we are doing everything we can to make this happen.

I agree with you Jane :) But reading back amongest the emails it needs to be done in the near distant future, the clock is ticking on "XH558" as another thread is running on how long , she will be flying and displaying etc

We also do not know the in's and out's of why and how close we came to the "Members day" I think the location must be the stalling point in many ways.

The Finance side I think would be overcome by the members wanting to have their day for so long :roll:  :roll:

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 02:17:20 PM »
The finances is the easy bit, It's all the bureaucratic stuff that goes with it thats a nightmare, location is a pain as well but you would not believe just how much work is involved in this sort of thing.
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »
Of course the next issue would be where to have it!  No matter where is chosen, at least half of the members interested will say it's too far away  - and it probably will be as we have people from pretty much the extremes of the country.  For example, Lyneham hangar tours were within reach for me, but the AGM was just too far.  Could be a bit of a sticky point....
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »
At least if it was held in the Midlands region it would show willing and that thought had been made to satisfy as many members as possible.
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline Fluffy Bunny

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gassairsoft.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
Two airfields in the midlands spring to mind.... But they're still active RAF airfields and she's already displayed at one of them this year!

Offline Mags

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 03:02:03 PM »
Location's always difficult but the folks furthest out in the sticks are used to travelling - if it happens I'll be there :D

Offline HowSlo

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 09:09:22 PM »
The only thing I would ask is that we have as much notice as possible, not only to save up, but also to avoid clashing events.  I've already got things in my diary for this time next year!

Offline upandaway

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 06:02:13 AM »
If the members day is ever going to take place then it really needs to be this year and soon.  Reading the latest newsletter, the funding for this winter and the 2011 season is clearly not yet in place and so time is limited again.  Frankly I'm amazed and frustrated that we the club members, friends, one off donation supporters or whatever you want to call us are still waiting for this long promised event.  Without our dedicated support I doubt we would be where we are today.  We ALL dearly love XH558.  Organise an event, charge a tenner and I'm sure thousands will turn out not only providing sufficient funds to cover the day but creating an historical occasion that will be long and gratefully remembered  ;)

Arthur
Never give up !

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 08:16:09 AM »
This keeps cropping up again and again , I just dont see it as necessary or viable because wherever it were to be held would please a few and upset a lot of others. I don't support the project because I want a private showing, I do it partly because I want the opportunity to see her fly somewhere as long as I can make the effort to get to a show (e.g I'm planning to go to Lowestoft on Friday which is 80 miles away but that will give me a fix for the year) and partly because I think it's a worthwhile project to demonstrate just what can be achieved if one sets one's mind to it despite all the hurdles thrown in the way. and it will inspire another generation as well as honouring those who kept the peace by being on 24-7 standby as a deterrent.

If the trust do want to do something to say thank you to the members though here's a suggestion that may be more practical and probably nowhere near as costly - at the start of next season select (say) 6 shows all in different regions and arrange with the organisers that they issue a £5 or £10 (to be determined, I'm only plucking figures out of thin air) off admission voucher to every member to be redeemed at any of the shows where the organisers agreee to participate in the scheme. The trust then knock off the total value of vouchers redeemed at that particular show from the appearance fee.  Each member can then decide which of the participating shows he/she uses the voucher at (if they want to at all) thus making it more geographically friendly  .
Logistically that would be far simpler if there is a rampant desire to give something back to the members. Meanwhile for those like me who don't see a supporters day as a necessity or condition of supporting the project, we just bin the voucher and look on it as indirectly donating an extra fiver or tenner to the project as only redeemed vouchers would cost the trust / club anything. Is that too simple?
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!