Author Topic: Private showing  (Read 52914 times)

Offline Ian Mulford

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Re: Private showing
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »
Quote from: "sickbag_andy"
Is that too simple?

Sounds a great idea.  Like you, I don't really mind if we have an exclusive members' day or not, seeing her flying is reward enough.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline dlw

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 12:34:02 PM »
This keeps cropping up on a regular basis, and I would like to put in my personal opinion. I have over the years given quite alot of my time and energy promoting our aircraft. I consider it was a privilege to be present at Bruntingthorpe (working I might add) and at Waddington for first display. I know many where not there. I continue to work within the organisation as a volunteer fundraiser, this is done from home as I have had to take early retirement on health grounds. A private day is, quite frankly, not viable. Rusty commented earlier that it was said before we knew about the financial and logistical problems regarding it.

It is my fervent belief that our finances should be used to ensure 558's future in the longer term. Roberts comments are a reality and I know that the team are working D**N hard towards this goal and I am with them all the way in what ever small part I can play; ergo, the recycling scheme which I coordinate from home,talking to folks about what we do etc. My reward for this is to know that I have played a part in this. As supporters, you have also played a part because without everyone's support over the last few months (last winter we did not know whether the business could survive). It is down to us all to play a continued part: the reward, to see her flying next year at a venue near you.
As forum members we are also privileged to have the latest news about what's happening, photographs from the engineers, a club magazine twice a year, and more.

Thinking about the future you will be seeing great news about the recycling scheme, also we are thinking about our Christmas get together that is always a fun event, Jane is looking for helpers at the Christmas market in Lincoln. I could say more but won't.
Don't forget your old Phones and Toners/inkjet carts etc.
We DO make money from them.
Regards.
Dlw.
[/color]

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 02:05:59 PM »
sickbag_andy , IanM & dlw ....... I agree wholeheartedly !
To be honest , I couldn't care whether we have a dedicated "Members Day" or not --- it's not one of the reasons for me joining the Club , making donations or continuing my membership .  
I'd rather all funds raised go towards the general upkeep of '558 rather than be "wasted" on a Members Day.
If some do insist on a Members Day : Why not just have it as a sort-of informal "meet & greet" during the out-of-season period at whichever airfield '558 is over-wintering -- have the aircrew & groundcrew there , have access to '558 on the ground , but no flying display.

I must admit , I like sickbag_andy's suggestion of a discount voucher as an option to a dedicated Members Day -- it makes much more sense !
 :mrgreen:
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Rushy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rushy.net/
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »
I'm happy to know that the Vulcan to the Sky project was as much of a success as it undoubtedly is!
Do we really need a special day, or discounts, or anything other than a flying Vulcan?
--

Whoda thunk it?

Offline delta1

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 02:40:36 PM »
I totally agree with wcg and Rushy on this one. Yes, it would be fantastic to have a members day with a display but realistically it is not going to happen any time soon. We must stay focussed on doing our bit as supporters of 558 and the Trust to keep her flying by whatever means we are individually capable of.

Offline 10680

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
Don't you just get a thrill standing there with your tour t-shirt listening to the applause, knowing and showing that you have contributed to the display, (before you think about kicking the others because they aren't members  :D )

Offline Landyman

• Volunteer Group
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.pettaugh-history.org.uk
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
I have to agree with the previous posts.
A private members day is going to cost a bomb to organize and that is money we just don't have at the moment.
I know the club committee have been trying hard to bring this day about and were almost there when bureaucracy once more raised its head and put a stop on proceedings.
My feelings are that all the money we work so hard to raise should go into keeping '558 in the air and not be spent on a 'jolly', no matter how much we would all love one.
When/if the day comes that a major sponsor picks up some of the cost of keeping her flying we might be in a position to have our day.
Until then, we keep on fundraising. As someone once almost said "Think not what your club can do for you but what you can do for your club"

Landyman.
PS. Off to Lowestoft shortly to meet Gregg and Peter to get set up ready for more fundraising.  :)
I used to be retired then I found a Vulcan.
My travel blog - http://motorhomemoments.wordpress.com (Now with added Vulcan for even better value)

Offline eagle770

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »
All I can add to the debate is the agreement that wherever a 'member's day' was held it would only suit a small part of the population. She is displaying to most corners of the country which means that the majority of us can, with a little effort, see her in action along with the rest of the punters. Surely that is what we are about, letting the lesser mortals wonder at the sound of thunder and encourage them to play their part in keeping her flying by contributing to the funds either by donation or purchase from the shop. I must admit to being biased since I did fly her in an earlier life and love the sound she makes. Seeing her perform brings back memories and makes me wish I was back up there. :D
Consulting : If you are not part of the solution, there's good money to be made prolonging the problem!

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »
Quote from: "wcg"
sickbag_andy , IanM & dlw ....... I agree wholeheartedly !

I must admit , I like sickbag_andy's suggestion of a discount voucher as an option to a dedicated Members Day -- it makes much more sense !
 :mrgreen:

Thanks Clive and Ian - I relieved to know that I don't always talk  (or type) rubbish!
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 04:08:31 PM »
would a members day not be a good fundraising idea? 3000 people all paying £10 to get in, most will probably buy someting from the stall or donate a few more quid during the day, especially if we could organise other fundraising events to happen on the day, would it not give us a excellent starting point for the years ahead activities, you could even have a red nose day type totaliser how much money raised today etc. we could also have our sponsors along an excellent time for them to meet 558's fans this could encourage more sponsorship from futher a feild, sponsor's after all pay the money to have there company exposed to the public. I have no idea what costs are involved with a members day, insurance, police, parking etc but if a flying display is just going to be to costly, what about a fast taxi, or an up close and personal engine run or 2, if XM655 can have a members day which obviously proves to be a good money earner for them, why cant we do it.
how much did the party to welcome 558 back to bruntingthorpe raise a few years back? and she wasnt even there

Personally I think a members day would be an excellent idea, a great way to raise money, a great way for the trust to communicate with its followers, a great way to start the year of displaying, a great way for us to get up close and personal with 558, her ground crew, flight crew, management, a great way for the club to attract new members, new sponsors, a great way to get invloved.

Offline katie_t

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »
For me, the finances of a members' day are paramount. If it would break even or make a profit, then great.  But, if there was any chance it would detract from the money available to get her in the air for 2011 or 2012 then I'm more than happy without. If her winter location will allow it this year, then I love the idea of a members' day with air crew, engineers etc. and access to her in the hangar.

Offline isibob

• Volunteer Group
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »
Quote from: "katie_t"
For me, the finances of a members' day are paramount. If it would break even or make a profit, then great.  But, if there was any chance it would detract from the money available to get her in the air for 2011 or 2012 then I'm more than happy without. If her winter location will allow it this year, then I love the idea of a members' day with air crew, engineers etc. and access to her in the hangar.

Now that sounds like a sensible compromise - A few years back I was involved with Trust SSC land speed record holder and they had an open day at Farnborough ( limited number something like 250 due to security issues) it was five times oversubscribed. SSC didn't run (runway not long enough !!!) but it was a fantastic day and a real opportunity to get up close and personal with the beast

So why not give this idea an airing

Offline Mags

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »
Sounds good to me :D

Maybe the time for a members special with a flight would be on whatever her last flight is. Have a get together to meet her at her final destination wherever that maybe - followed by a "do" with everybody (more likely a wake). Likely to be logistics issues with that too though.

Offline MARKSIX

• Regular User
  • proud club member from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2010, 07:45:59 AM »
Agree with most that its a non starter having a private display . We all would love to see her in the air all day long , but cost is SO important .We are all wise enough to know how important money is to her surviving as long as possible .  I have only seen her once this year , but happy and GRATEFUL for everyone who posts videos and pictures on the forum for us all to see . I think however that a members day could be combined the the AGM perhaps . I do attend our AGM , but it could be so much more .Some members may remember the Vulcan Association AGM held at Cranwell many years ago . Held in the lecture theatre there, there were guest speakers , raffles , the "james bond " model etc etc , a great day . Bearing in mind this was in the earliest days of the club , -JUST THINK WHAT WE COULD ACHIEVE NOW  , we have so many guests , personalities , as well as being able to meet everyone .  We are big enough now to have many contacts regarding organising such an event and having it held at her final landing for the winter ,then i'm  sure our friends at the RAF  would help out ??
 As well as getting much needed media attention  a members day is a good idea and by combining with AGM and no display , think this would be a compromise for all as well as keeping costs down .
This year has without doubt been our best year , a big "pat on the back " for EVERYONE is surely deserved.

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
As quoted by leslie

Personally I think a members day would be an excellent idea, a great way to raise money, a great way for the trust to communicate with its followers, a great way to start the year of displaying, a great way for us to get up close and personal with 558, her ground crew, flight crew, management, a great way for the club to attract new members, new sponsors, a great way to get invloved.

I fully agree with her sentiments and would add the following comment which hopefully will not inflame too many people.

We all contribute to keep 558 in the air in our own way,Some with their time,some with financial support,some with engineering and base support (RAF etc) so why single out some of the groups for private displays and exclude others (Club Members) ?

Just a thought,please feel free to abuse me at will

:(
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"